Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:D]Been to launch at my local SEAT dealer, Its my kind of motor John. ?16,495 and makes the Golf version look very plain. However I must say the A post is very low to give the car a very rakish profile. Any other comments?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I like it from certain angles and from others it looks a little odd. Its not like the new Astra which looks great from any angle.

In the current range I like the sound of the 140 dsg - though I hope this will be available with the 170 tdi engine soon. Most of the models have large wheels and the whole line up has a sporty edge (finally should make sure that OAP's should look at other VAG marques!!).

I don't like those mpv style wipers and the dash looks low rent compared to the Mk V (or even my Mk IV!!)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Its not like the new Astra which looks great from any angle.
Are you serious?!

There is no Seat Stealer within 100 miles from where I live so will have to wait til I see one in a Supermarket car park before I can judge I guess [:(]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJ horace,  Theres a Seat dealer in Inverness,  should take a couple of minutes on yer bike.  After studying the Leon further, I detect some similarities with the Alpha 147 & Mazdza 3 hatch.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Went out in one the other day after holding on for it to be released. In short, I'm a bit disappointed. Its like they went back to pre-VW for quality. The dashboard is absolutely horrendous for a car of this class. People who complained that the old Leon had a borrowed dash from a old A3 should not complain, compared to the new one, its heaven. The new dash is made of some really horrible cheap plastic and you SHOULD see the centre console! To say the Seat Ibiza has a better dash is an understatement.

Not too sure on the looks either. It looks far too much like an Altea for it's own good but a bit lower.

BUT the 140TDI I went out in was fun and the handling was great!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Went to the dealership to check out the Leon..

Was a ghastly machine!

It might share the same oily bits as the Golf & A3 but the body & interior looks like it has been designed by committee!

Looks like everyone has chucked in their sixpence worth in the styling.

The interior looks like they had a good rumage around in VAG parts bin & were short by a few bits. I've never seen so much large areas of bland plastic in car before!

The interior instrument layout is awful.. a cross between alfa & datsun (anyone remember that unholy alliance a few years back?)..

Suffice to say i ordered the Golf!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
That's such a disappointment to read. I was really looking forward to the new one, they got the balance so right with the last one (price\looks\handelling). I don't like the mpv looking wipers - they look horrid.

If they are trying to emulate the design flair Alfa Romeo they arn't even close.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Apparantly the guy who designed the Alfa 147 (with the funky rear doors that make it look like a coupe) is now responsible for the new Leon. To be honest it has hints of the 147 but the overall swoosh line down the sides make it look like that awful Hyundai MK1 Coupe!.. When motor styling is going the way of straight clean lines & that angular look they come out with the walnut whip thing.. I mean it's so nineties!

I just hate when budget car manufacters go to extraordinary lengths to make their cars look exotic! It just looks like they've tried sooo hard! In all honesty I was worried about the badge, but then broke under pressure for many reasons including price to go & test drive the Leon.

The drive was impressive & the level of specification equally impressive.. but it all feels so cheap inside! Hard plastics & silver paint sprayed dash all go to shout out budget to anyone you give a lift to.

The level of refinement & quality materials in the Golf for me make the extra 3K worthwhile if not better residuals.

Check out the Leon & make up your own mind.. Make sure you look closely at the rear quarterlights, 100% plastic! & slam the door a few times too!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'm still undecided on the look of the new Leon... its just uncomfortable from certain angles and looks like a bigger Altea.

Of course, the FR and Cupra versions are yet to be seen, and will no doubt go like stink... but the styling will put a lot of people off - quite the opposite to the outgoing car, where the styling was great if you ask me.

I'm infinately happier with my 'old' Leon Cupra than i was with my Golf GTI. The GTI beat it on interior quality, but in every other area the Leon is the better car, and notably cheaper too.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
...Of course, the FR and Cupra versions are yet to be seen
Pics of the cupra 'concept' (whatever they call it) has been around and it does look sporty but for me I know that I will like the shape of a car if I like look of the most basic model and like it (the new Astra - I think this looks good even in basic trim).

My last last car was a car that was a fantastic drive but didn't feel special (306 xsi) and if the Leon is too much like this then I'd rather go for the better all rounder Mk V Golf.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm with you on the old Leon & overall value for money, but i'm not prepared to pay 16K for a car that looks like a 10 year old Hyundai. I was tempted by the FR diesel which is top of their diesel line, it was specced up to high heaven, all for less than 16K, the only thing missing was SatNav & leather... But it was just the feel of the interior.. I mean I can go on about it for ages but Seat should really do something about it.. For long journeys you'd really just want to get to where you need to be! In the case of a holiday I believe the journey should be at least half the fun or in the case of work it should take away half the pain.. With the new Leon i don't believe it'll do that! Maybe i'm being a bit harsh as I only had a 20 minute test drive, but how many thousands or tens of thousands of motor purchasing decisions are made on first impressions? I thought to myself, NO the moment I opened the drivers door! Old Leon Cupra rocks without a doubt..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps the slightly radical styling will grow on us all, I find it a little strange at the moment. All models are available in 5door form, the rear handles are same idea as the Alpha 147. Even better news is the Leon will soon have the 170PS. diesel & Cupra 205PS petrol engines. The Leons are available through www.broadspeed.com at another ?2k.+ discount. Does that make the Leon more attractive now?

·
Registered
423 Posts
The broadspeed prices offer just over 1K discount over the Seat list price. I know, it's not something to sneer at but still not enough to move me in their direction.. Plus you probably could haggle near to that ?1K off at the Seat dealership!
The optional extras are cheaper than VW too but again, not enough to move me. Don't get me wrong, the Seat is a good car.. But it could be better, a lot better. They've obviously had to trim things down & save money here & there, and the compromises are mainly in comfort, styling & luxury, for me just as important as reliability & build quality.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Even better news is the Leon will soon have the 170PS. diesel & Cupra 205PS petrol engines.
Latest news circulating the SEAT forums is that the FR will have around 215-220PS, and the Cupra a whopping 250PS+!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think the new Leon's are nice, but overpriced especially in the lower spec ones. If you really, really want a VAG PD diesel, then the best bet on compromise for money/depreciation would be the Leon TDI..the Mk5 Golf has been around for a couple of years now, the new Bora/Jetta will be a grand or two more expensive for the equivalent when its out. The only other one you could possibly consider would be a Skoda Fabia vRS...get it really spec'd up with Xenons, etc and have it remapped...?14k brand new, next to no depreciation and more power/torque than the 150 after remap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts