Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the above splitter for my R32. Just wondering how easy/hard a job it is to get on, lined it up to the bumper but noticed a fair gap either side, is a heat gun required? Also how many bolts are needed to attatch it properly and do you have to remove the two strutts that are in the centre of the splitter?? Anyone had any experience?? Noticed a fair few forum members have had this mod done, how was it achieved? Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
I fitted a LCR splitter to my R32 bumper at the weekend. It was very easy. Ive heard some people use a heat gun on the tight curves, but i didnt use one. After cutting down the 2 central flanges on the splitter, I removed the bumper, turned it upside down and positioned the splitter centrally. Then, working from the center outwards, i drilled holes through both bumper and splitter flanges and used tapping screws and flat nuts to secure it to the bumper. 13No screws it total i think (6 each side and one in the center). Last thing i did was cut back the ends of the splitter because they overshoot the bumper. I'm well pleased with the final outcome, lets see how long it takes me to rip it off on a speed hump!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hiya mate,

iv got a R32 bumper taken off an original R32, but it already has a two peice splitter on it with a big peice attached which i guess is attached underneath the engine in some way.

So question being did you remove this before fitting the LCR splitter? The guy at the bodyshop goes theres enough room for it to go around the R32 splitter.

What have you done hodge?

Veesh

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Hiya mate,

iv got a R32 bumper taken off an original R32, but it already has a two peice splitter on it with a big peice attached which i guess is attached underneath the engine in some way.

So question being did you remove this before fitting the LCR splitter? The guy at the bodyshop goes theres enough room for it to go around the R32 splitter.

What have you done hodge?

Veesh
just take the original splitter off then fit the LCR one. its easy, i jacked my car up and put mine on with the bumper attached to the car.

nuts and bolts! i'm on my second one! i kerbed the first one off at fleet services on way back from being tinted!

d'oh!

jammy

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
thinking about if i should spray it whilst its in the garage and paint wont be an issue.

Sprayed the splitter good idead or not?
Personally i wouldn't bother colour coding it. You are bound to catch it on a kerb sooner or later.

I scraped mine on a kerb when parking a little too close to it a few days after I fitted the splitter.

BTW the above fitting method is spot on. I used about 12 self tapping screws, no nuts & bolts or heat gun!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
A very old thread I know, but I'd like to colour code my splitter just so the car looks lower from the front, anyone does this before?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I thought about this myself but i had a few concerns...

Stone chips will make the thing look abit dodgy especially if done in silver. imagine scrapping it tooo...

At a cost of 20quid theres no point... but if your looking to ride low you will have some problems just like me...

my few pence.

Veesh

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Ahh very true..

BUT.. my cars in the bodyshop anyway so doubt they would charge me to spray up that little splitter.. so I may just get it colour coded and then if it gets scrapped just replace it as its only £20?

Ahh but i dont want it to look rubbish! Someone must have colour coded one?

Veesh - what do you mean running low? Ride Height? Im only down 35mm so shouldnt be a problem.. I meant if your car is silver and you colour code the splitter the car will look lower from the front? As in when you colour code valances the car instantly looks lower?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Will the this cupra splitter fit on standard golf tdi valances with slight mods?

has any one done this?

any pics?

Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
dont waste your time painting the splitter, its a grade of plastic that does not react well to it

it'll crack quickly, peel and fall off and will look awful

up to you if you do, but ill say i told you so when it happens lol

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

i got mine done and i think it looks great, if your cars at the body shop just get it done as the most it will cost will be £20 to buy a new splitter... just go for it!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
cheers for the pictures mate.. it looks quite good actually!

but i think i'm going to leave it black, it will match the black anni headlights and black mesh in the grill.. and I dont want to be faffing about taking the bumper off and what not when Ive finished with it from the bodyshop..

thanks for everyones help

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ahh very true..

BUT.. my cars in the bodyshop anyway so doubt they would charge me to spray up that little splitter.. so I may just get it colour coded and then if it gets scrapped just replace it as its only £20?

Ahh but i dont want it to look rubbish! Someone must have colour coded one?

Veesh - what do you mean running low? Ride Height? Im only down 35mm so shouldnt be a problem.. I meant if your car is silver and you colour code the splitter the car will look lower from the front? As in when you colour code valances the car instantly looks lower?
mate if the works being done right now, then go with what you think
works best..... if it works well u can keep it if it dont then like u
say its only 20quid. i see ur point about the splitter making it
look low though mate defo worth a pop... thats what modding is all
about my friend.... ;)

When i mean riding low i mean ur ride hieght, i didnt no how low
you were planning on going in the future but if ur staying at 35mm then
u got no probs mate.

After reading this thread im going to go and get a fresh splitter for my new front end.... for the sack of 20quid i might aswell get a new one as the other ones got enough scuffs as it is....

Good luck matey should look tidy.... dont give up!

Veeshy

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Think these splitters look really good especially on R32 bumpers make them look so much lower.

Since ive seen these Ive noticed how many people fit them to non VAG cars, seen them on Punto's, Corsa's talk about universal!

Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts