Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spotted these babies on Awesome's site, anyone got pics fitted on a car, or know if they are good in terms of fit and finish? If price is an indicator (no pun intended) then I would expect them to be pretty decent. I'm always willing to pay for quality.

Posted Image

I think they look reasonably OEM, in that the braking area is tinted red, so it looks much like a lot of other OEM LED rear clusters in that they do not try to hide the LED matrix, but at the same time do not make them too obvious. Previous versions of these FK LED clusters look like this:

Bordering on OK in looks, I don't consider this as Lexus-style because you can clearly see a purpose to the design.

The chrome finish wouldn't suit all colours...

Posted Image

Hence there is also...

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I remember seeing a Mk4 in Koln with rear clusters very similiar to the
first pic. I didn't like them because they reminded me of the
current BMW coupe clusters (very similiar LED pattern) so therefore it
didn't look that OEM to me. They were very very bright though but
it looked odd because the 3rd brake light didn't match the light
intensity of the main ones.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention I only took an interest for the faster reaction time of LEDs compared to filament bulb technology, and so far these are the most subtle I've seen. I very rarely do a mod for cosmetic purposes, that has to come second to function and quality. If it happens to look a certain way due to its function, that's fine, and I think these do. Out of the three I think the first looks most functional. There are some other LED clusters that look from another planet.

At the moment I've got Philips Vision Plus bulbs at the rear which are supposed to give the car behind 50% more reaction time than most halogen bulbs. They are certainly bright but definitely still nowhere near as quick as LEDs.

I know Baker21 has explained before and is probably sick of being asked if/when Hella will make LEDs for MkIV. I understand the market for MkIV stuff is going to dwindle now, but what surprises me is that Hella makes/made LED rear clusters for the Lupo (I think, or it could be the Polo), which is definitely a smaller tuning market than the Golf, and also, Hella has made two new styles of headlamp for the MkIV (Celis rings and MkV style, in both chrome and charcoal finishes, too!) in addition to this style as well!

Posted Image

I'm not having a pop and I'm sure there are good reasons, just needed to get that off my chest. Hella's Magic Colour rear clusters, especially the RCCRs may be very popular but I bet if they came out with LEDs they'd sell like hotcakes. Even do a complete set consisting of a big shiny box containing both Celis headlamps and LED rears, who wouldn't like to find that combo under their Christmas tree?!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I'm not having a pop and I'm sure there are good reasons, just needed to get that off my chest. Hella's Magic Colour rear clusters, especially the RCCRs may be very popular but I bet if they came out with LEDs they'd sell like hotcakes. Even do a complete set consisting of a big shiny box containing both Celis headlamps and LED rears, who wouldn't like to find that combo under their Christmas tree?!
Ditto !! If they were as oem look as the bmw led rears are.. if I could have those in a box with celis fronts too.. my god, automotive lighting pr0nz ! [:)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dan, have you got a pic of the whole of the rear of that car? I'll try to do some 'chops to tint the braking area red and then black to see how it looks.

Stuart: The lights you have seem to be the current FK style, it looks like the pic above is an old style no longer made now (doesn't show on FK's site).

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I forgot to mention I only took an interest for the faster reaction time of LEDs compared to filament bulb technology, and so far these are the most subtle I've seen. I very rarely do a mod for cosmetic purposes, that has to come second to function and quality. If it happens to look a certain way due to its function, that's fine, and I think these do. Out of the three I think the first looks most functional. There are some other LED clusters that look from another planet.

At the moment I've got Philips Vision Plus bulbs at the rear which are supposed to give the car behind 50% more reaction time than most halogen bulbs. They are certainly bright but definitely still nowhere near as quick as LEDs.

I know Baker21 has explained before and is probably sick of being asked if/when Hella will make LEDs for MkIV. I understand the market for MkIV stuff is going to dwindle now, but what surprises me is that Hella makes/made LED rear clusters for the Lupo (I think, or it could be the Polo), which is definitely a smaller tuning market than the Golf, and also, Hella has made two new styles of headlamp for the MkIV (Celis rings and MkV style, in both chrome and charcoal finishes, too!) in addition to this style as well!

Posted Image

Been reading this thread but now I think I will post a response.

I am afraid that Hella have no plans to bring out an LED Aftermarket lamp for the MKIV Golf that I am aware of but if something is released then as always I will be able to sell you some.

I don't disagree that there would be a market for it but think of it this way, if they released a LED version would they sell the current Magic Colour versions? Who knows? I am afraid that it all boils down to someone making the decision at a top management level as like I said as far as I am aware Germany have no plans.

If you want some Celis headlamps then you know where to come, PM me for further details.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Dan, have you got a pic of the whole of the rear of that car? I'll try to do some 'chops to tint the braking area red and then black to see how it looks.

Stuart: The lights you have seem to be the current FK style, it looks like the pic above is an old style no longer made now (doesn't show on FK's site).
Let me consult "Dans great vw image database" [;)]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

Let me consult "Dans great vw image database" [;)]
"Computer says noooww" - Sorry Shui.. only took one of Ow3n's car and that be it.. well one other, of his revo logo !

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My sister had these(the black ones) on her old 1.4 which i could excuse but she recently bought a lovely PD150 and put them on it which i cant excuse!!!!!! there's no questioning the function of the lights but they are just lexus lights with a few bells and whistles in my opinion!!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's a black TDI on A8s parked right outside while I was building a server, with the red FK LEDs as shown above, I rushed outside to talk to the owner (and told him to join UK-MKIVs, of course). They look pretty smart on a black car! I asked him to put the brake lights on as well, and they look good, very bright and even [Y] If only I had my camera with me [:(]

The silver and red looks real good with black.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts