Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently fitted LED registration plate lights as referenced in link below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-LED-NUMBER-PLATE-LIGHT-GOLF-MK4-1999-2006-/270694778651?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f06aa871b#ht_3960wt_1108

The concern I have is the Police and MOT! Are these lights legal ? I have browsed on a couple of forums with no definitive answer.

The area of concern within the MOT literature regarding plate lights is:-

e. does not show white light to the rear.

Has anyone had an MOT failure or been stopped by the Police? or Anyone on here MOT test and would fail these?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
mine went through a mot with em on. New high end cars come with them as standard so i can see it being a problem as long as there white.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
'White light to rear' offences relate to broken tail lights etc.

LED plate lights are fine as long as they are pointing down. A load of new motors have them.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Mine decided to stop working in the cold :( need to put my old filament ones back in - I didn't get the ones in that ebay advert tho.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
I have blue LED's in my numberplate lights. I've had them for 4 years and never had a pull from LAPD[cop] or failed an MOT regarding them. I recently got pulled for my German numberplates but LAPD never mentioned the LED's which were on and are extremely bright!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only had these for two weeks so i cant recommend them in regards to reliability, however I am very satisfied with he light it projects.

I thought the £26 price was reasonable. I looked on the ebayshops webpage, not their ebay one, and the rrp was about £45.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have the metal plates too. So that was a double whammy regarding drawing attention. According to Dubmeister these are legit plates [au]

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
i would recommend the cool white ones from ultraLEDS... cant beat the quality imo. i have had the same 501 white side light bulbs from them in my last 4 cars and they still work fine!

Buy cheap buy twice normally!

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
i had ebay jobbies originally , didnt last long, went over to the ultra led ones and working fine and dandy no problem

·
Registered
772 Posts
i got some festoon led bulbs ages ago or like 4 quid i think work spot on no troubles from the cops like everyone else says newer cars have them as standard

1 - 19 of 19 Posts