Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people are just running a wire from inside the drivers door to the passenger door LED.

Could the wire be run from the Comfort Control Module (which generates the blink I believe) instead, by piggybacking the LED control wire? (Terminal unknown - anyone know what the Pin is labelled on the control unit?). Would this affect the blink rate due to now having two LED's in the circuit instead of one?

I also noticed the other day that the A3 Audi has blinking LED's in each door - has anyone investigated how they get the feed to each LED? Is there maybe another spare Pin to feed a second LED from their module?

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
I,m interested in this as well, i did partly split the wiring loom from a salvaged golf to see where the connection comes from, but afaik it gets it supply from the door lock unit, not as i ws expecting the convienence module, but i,ll investigate further, and i,m trying to get some wiring diagrams of te audi to see properly where it gets the passenger side led current from, if you find out before me , please tell!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello Graeme!!!!!!!!

I don't know the answer to your first question, but adding an LED does not affect the blink rate. I've had a tiny police car with an LED inside the siren lights (it's gone now I've grown up hehe) and I wired it to the driver's door.

see you around!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just to confirm that adding another LED won't change the blink rate. I (lazily?) took a feed from the drivers side and went around to the passenger side - seems to work - oh yes, and they're both blue of course...!

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Hi just went to the a breakers in colchester, who allowed me to totally strip out the wiring loom from the front to the dash side, took the dash off and the steel bar which runs the length of the dash!!!, baked my bum of in the heat!!!, and way took the complete wiring looms form the front doors and now at the moment can see that the led takes it connection from the multiplug at the electric window motor, the pass side motor connector hasnt got a wire there so ,to wire in a pass side led, you add a wire into the unused connector in the pass side motor connector, and connect the other wire to earth, and hey presto a working led when the alarm is armed, the car uses the canbus signals to tell the electronics in the window motor that the car is now armed!, i,m going to now dissect this whole loom!

Zak

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome info!

What pin number is it on the passenger door motor (so I don't have to pull off my drivers door trim as well to look!)...or, to put the question another way, seeing as you have the loom only, what pin number is it in the electric motor connector piece? (or is there only one spare one anyway, so it is obvious?)

Also do you know what year car the loom came from, as there are differences over the years.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Hi Graeme86, i,ll look at it today and take photos, i know that one wire is a ground, so can be spliced in with the other door wiring loom ground, and the other wire goes in to the electric window connector, theres no wire there , so it should work when the alarm is armed a 12v current will be present when armed from thiks pin.

zak

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Awesome info!

What pin number is it on the passenger door motor (so I don't have to pull off my drivers door trim as well to look!)...or, to put the question another way, seeing as you have the loom only, what pin number is it in the electric motor connector piece? (or is there only one spare one anyway, so it is obvious?)

Also do you know what year car the loom came from, as there are differences over the years.
ive looked at it and the positive connection (green with a lilac stripe) has to go into pin 26 on the passenger side electric window connector, the earth wire (brown with a blue stripe) has to go to ground, before connecting the led a simple way to test this is to put a wire into pin 26 and connect a multimeter to it , when you arm the alarm there should be a constant or flashing 12v supply when armed!!

Zak

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Ive tried this today, pin 26 on the passenger side electric window
connector. This feed is constant +. This doesn't change either when the car is armed or not.

This was tried on 2001 GT TDi .

Guess it doesn't work on mine.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Further update.

I have gone though the Golf 4 wiring diagrams with a fine tooth comb and the Pin 26 in the passenger door, is a constant 12V feed as noted above powers the electric mirrors if they fold.

The part numbers for the Mark IV electric window motors are actually New Beetle part numbers (1C0 prefix) and I have noticed that New Beetle Cabriolets have LED's in both doors standard. So.....

I have also gone through the wiring diagrams for the New Beetle Cabriolet now and the drivers door wiring all comes and goes to the same points in the door using the same pin references as the Mark IV Golf, with the exception of Pin 26 which is unused!

But, the passenger door electric motor has connections to Pin 1 and Pin 2 which powers the left door and the right door LED's respectively. They actually run a wire through the car to connect the drivers door! These are the positive feeds for the LED's, the negative just earths as normal on each LED.

Also in the Mark IV, the following pins are unused in the passenger door electric window: Pin 1, Pin 2, Pin 9, Pin 22 and Pin 25. (some cars may actually have other pins vacant as well if you do not have folding / electric mirrors etc, by the way).

So...theoretically

Pin 1 and/or Pin 2 in the passenger door motor of the Golf may actually power up the LED in the passenger door, if used. Given that the New Beetle gets the LED source from the same door motor , that may be how they synchronise the LED pulse as well, so they may blink at different time in the Golf if this actually works.I.e. getting the passenger feed from the passenger motor and the drivers side feed from the drivers motor.

Please note. I have not actually tried this yet, and the actual part numbers of the motors are technically different, so there may be different internal wiring etc. Proceed at your own risk at this point. Maybe an actual electrics guru with a multimeter could check whats coming out of Pins 1 and 2 of the passenger door motor when the alarm is activated..

·
Registered
824 Posts
I was planning at doing this mod at the weekend,this looks like an easier route to take than the wiring all the way around,i'll post up my success,or failure [:)]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Has anyone got any further with this yet, in regard to finding how the supply is taken from the passenger door, or how it's done on the Audi? May have a free saturday morning coming up.........

Steve

·
Registered
107 Posts
Id like to know if anyone got this to work as well as I was just about to order a blue LED.

Think I shall wait for a reply now as it I may get a pair [:p]

1 - 20 of 51 Posts