Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having been out for a test drive in a GTI with DSG. (Great gearbox and engine combination. Lovely torquey engine.)

I am thinking of getting the leather seats. I like the Interlagos cloth but I do also like the leather.

A collegue of mine has had a Passat Highline (with leather) for the last year and the bolster on the drivers seat is scuffed & crinkled. He also only does low mileage. The VW dealership have said that they are only covered for six moths by the warrenty! So my question is, has anyone else found that their bolsters sag, If you know what I mean [;)] Do the leather seats last and are they worth ordering?

Also how good are the xenon headlights over the standard units? They do look good!

Have the prices recently gone up on the GTI configurator?

Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Contrary to the above, leather was the only extra I thought was essential when I was looking for a Gti, I looked at a couple of cars with cloth interior and thought the interlagos was a bit of a joke, not matching the rest of the car...

Each to their own though..

Chris

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have the GT TD with leather and find the bases quite narrow, and the side boulster is collapsing, I'll take some pictures later. My car has covered 36k

·
Registered
36 Posts
The xenon lights are superb and well worth having. I have the leather and it is expensive considering the average quality of it. I always wanted leather in my car and am glad I chose it. The driver's seat has started to wear on the bolster but now I just make sure I get in without rubbing the bolster and that has halted the wear.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Leather seats are nice but when you go to sell your car, most stealers will only give you 10% for your extras, but its a great selling point for them, as they will charge the next person the full price of the extras, so its alot of money to dish out and get no return for.  

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
For me leather make a special car, that extra bit more special. plus the heaters are nice this time of year, oh and don't forget the smell.

I think the cloth and it's pattern is ok in the solid coloured GTI's Red, Black, White, as it's kinda retro, but leather is a must in the metalics IMHO.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have both in my car and am glad I ordered both.  I think a 20K plus car HAS to have leather, plus the Interlagos in my eyes looked horrible.  Xenons - will never buy a car without them now.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I think the cloth and it's pattern is ok in the solid coloured GTI's Red, Black, White, as it's kinda retro, but leather is a must in the metalics IMHO.
Thats a very good point althugh I would include silver in the 'retro' list. Leather is certainly suited to the metallic blue colours.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thats a very good point althugh I would include silver in the 'retro' list. Leather is certainly suited to the metallic blue colours.
That's true, I'd forgotten the often overlooked silver.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
For me leather make a special car, that extra bit more special. plus the heaters are nice this time of year, oh and don't forget the smell.

The heated seats aren't exclusive to leather, I have the cloth seats and they're heated as I got the winter pack.

I think the pattern on the cloth interior is cool, I much prefer it to the leather, the interior's grey enough as it is. Bit of a Marmite issue though I guess.

·
Registered
990 Posts
If leather is cared for it will last. I have Recaro leather in my car which I treat every couple of months, and after 68k miles it still looks fresh. I don't know if the mk5 has higher quality leather, but I have heard it aint the best. I would deffo get the xenons, and heated cloth seats.Then if you fancy leather at a later date MJ Interiors will sort you out with some quality hide, better than Wolfsburg that's for sure.

Do the heating elements only work when the switch is on 5 (like the mk4 for leather) and for any setting 1-5 on cloth? Always found that a bit strange with the mk4.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Do the heating elements only work when the switch is on 5 (like the mk4 for leather) and for any setting 1-5 on cloth? Always found that a bit strange with the mk4.
Very strange.Mine work on every setting.Usually set mine to 2.Only ever 5 if i want to heat up quickly then back to 2.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I would deffo get the xenons, and heated cloth seats.
I am coming around to that view. The downside with heated cloth seats is unlike Audi and Seat you cannot buy just heated seats - you have to get the stupid uncontrollable headlight washers in the Winter Pack. If there was a seperate button to operate them or you could disable them it would not be so bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The leather on my 05 GT TDI DSG is badly wrinkled and the stitching is comming away. The bolster has also collapsed. It started to go badly at around 13K. My dealer says they are going to replace the cover and the seat base. Nothing happened as yet though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the info there.

To make my decision making process more complicated they have now released the Seat Leon T FSI with DSG. Decision making time! [:S]

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had leather in my Bora, I must say you can't beat the smell of real leather, but on the down side they sweat, I do a lot of miles and found they became rather uncomfotable on long jorneys, so much so when I purchased my Audi A4 i ordered it with cloth[:S]

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd recommend leather seats if you've got the cash to spare. As much as I like them I think I'd rather have ?1600 in my pocket. Out of interest, what are you people using to treat the leather? I bought some stuff from a random website but it's rubbish, and I'm a bit concerned that if I don't start looking after them sharpish they'll start to look terrible and fall to bits.

Xenons are a must have. Have always found long distance night driving tiring before but it's a joy with the xenons. Does anyone else with xenons find themselves getting full-beamed a lot? I'm not sure if it's just my lights being out of adjustment or if it's a normal thing for people with xenons...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts