Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a replacement for my stolen leather recaro clad GTI and am having a lot of trouble finding another GTI with leather recaro's in ireland. I recently came accross a nice looking/sounding 2002 GTI online which has leather heated VW sports seats - can anyone tell me the differences before I take time out to look at the car? Are the recaro's so much better? Anyone have any pictures? Would I be better getting cloth recaro's?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've not sat in Recaro's to compare but have to say I'm very happy with my sport leathers mate. Also I've seen some Recaro's and the leather looked far worse for wear than the leather in my motor...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Here a pic of Recaro leather

Posted Image

Posted Image

The difference between these and the Sports leather is the 'Recaro' logo, the recess for the head rests, and I think the quality of the leather used.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 18/02/2005 10:17:12

Here a pic of Recaro leather

The difference between these and the Sports leather is the 'Recaro' logo, the recess for the head rests, and I think the quality of the leather used.

Now I'm getting teary eyed as I fondly remember my poor stolen leather recaro clad gti.......... which has once again turned to rage!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the leather sports seats and have to say I'm quite happy with them. Having said that if I had the choice I'd have Recaros because of the extra cool factor they bring! [^]

·
Registered
493 Posts
I know how much of a pain it can be. I spent an age looking for mine, saw a lot of nice Golfs with VW leather interiors but I'm definately glad I waited for the Recaros. Just seem to be a better quality.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Agreed that the recaro seat is a better seat, but the later sport seat is very comfoatable, and the leather used identical. they dont look quite as nice, and they are a shade less supprtive, but if your really struggling to find leather recaros imo either buy th sport leathers, or find one with cloth recaros and get em trimmed!! [:D]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Wasn't there a change over year where they stopped the recaros and only fitted 'sports seats'?

IIRC something to do with licencing the brand....?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I had leather sports seats but once I sat in a leather Recaro seat I just had to change, they are much better.

Wait for the Recaro's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
shane,

your wait could be over, well have over.

I've got a set of leather recaros for sale..

?1000

includes all thats required to fit them, loom switches, door panel, arm rest

let me know

·
Registered
296 Posts
I held out for ages trying to find one with leather recaros, i didnt even know they were so rare or desireable till i got on here! i jus thought they were pretty cool and wouldnt harm the resale value. The leather quality isnt superb so if u know a good retrimming place, as dr.evilhomer said - get some cloth retrimmed!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a look at 3 gti's at a stealers today, 2 with cloth recaro's and 1 with leather sports seats. Have to say that the leather win's hands down but unfortunately doesn't come close to the leather recaro's. Having the door cards in leather along with the seats adds so much class - unfortunately the sports seats did nothing for me (as a seat) - I dunno, maybe my golf was a particularly fine example but these 3 cars just didn't have the same sporty and classy feel inside - the stealer did tell me I could be waiting a long, long time to find leather recaro's over here though.....

so now I'm thinking I might just spend the extra few grand and get a TT - I hate the thieving scum who stole my car more and more now!!!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Leather RECAROS are the MUTTS NUTS! Personally i think there the best seat EVER! Seriously ive sat in alot of seats in my time (mostly leather examples - TT's, New M3, porsche, clk 55 amg, scooby, etc) and the recaros in the golf just feel that much better!

If you buying a car and considering a TT, get an audi S3 225. These come with leather recaros aplenty and the S3 seats are amazing!!!!

Sorry to here about the car mate. YOGi

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote: posted by Y0Gi on 21/02/2005 00:31:46

If you buying a car and considering a TT, get an audi S3 225. These come with leather recaros aplenty and the S3 seats are amazing!!!!

I was looking at the S3 too but over here they are pretty rare not to mention off the chart expensive - 32K euro is about what you'd expect to pay for a 2002 example !

·
Registered
685 Posts
Quote: posted by shane on 21/02/2005 09:06:18

Quote: posted by Y0Gi on 21/02/2005 00:31:46

I was looking at the S3 too but over here they are pretty rare not to mention off the chart expensive - 32K euro is about what you'd expect to pay for a 2002 example !

Hunt through auto trader and you should be able to find a nice 225 example for around 14k-16k

YOGi

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by Tim Sims on 23/02/2005 22:52:58

nah Yogi the konigs in the R are the muts nuts!

but a helluva cheaper seat than the recaros, and with cheap 'leatherette' urghhh saggy after 10 miles.[V]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts