Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Le Mans R10 TDI V12 650hp >1000nm torque

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  bad-vw-boy 
#1 ·
Bit early yet, but ha ha ha to all you petrol heads.

Look what is currently winning at Le mans.

Hope it wins, if it does it'll silence all of your ball-cack forever, anything you say will be answered by, "Look what happened at Le Mans." You will only be able to reflect upon the good old days when petrol used to be king.

Come on you TDI's

#4 ·
No Mr M and Mr Fly, you don't look bothered.

Sad as I am, I find this incredibly exciting.

As I type the Nr 7 has just come in and it looks serious....

Hope the Number 8 car is ok as it's 4 laps ahead of it's nearest rival in the LMP1 class.

......And if the Nr 8 car does win, it will be a massive milestone in motorsport.

#7 ·
Yep,

1st and 3rd [:)]

And yes the Pugs are coming next year as well.

And this cannot be compared to F1, with F1 being so rigid with it's rules. The Audi R10's competed with the petrols on equal terms, the only limit being a 5.5 litre engine capacity.

Any petrol arguements are now futile.

#9 ·
Any petrol arguements are now futile.
Why do so many 'diesel extremists' assume everything is so clear cut?
What about the side you can't quantify, i.e. the feel of an engine, the
noise, the whole driving experience? Are you saying the R10 is a better
performance proposition than anything that has ever existed, in every
way? Zonda - crap, 599GTB - crap, Konigseigg CCX - crap?

Personally I have never doubted the performance capabilities of diesel,
albeit only in conjunction with a turbo. I also have no doubt its the future (if only the near future). But
until they can make one that sounds and feels as a nice as a 6/8/12
cylinder petrol at full song, Im just not interested. And thats why I chose a 330i over a 330d.

I hope Audi do win, and it will be a leap forward for diesel tech, but it doesn't make petrol irrelevent.

#12 ·
Also, it's only the torque figure that is better than the petrols. I read that the diesel engines economy is no better than the petrol's during Le Man's!
No the economy is no better.

Torque though is what makes a car drivable.

As has been argued countless times on here, the advantage the R10 has that it delivers it's power (like every other diesel) the instant you plant your foot. There is none of this thrashing the head off an engine to make it move.

Saying that, I've currently got an MX5 as a courtessy car while the Golf is being fixed and must say it is nice to rev up to 7000 odd.....

#13 ·
It just creates a bit of balance and knocks that chip off quite a few petrol owners shoulders who's attitude has to date been totally dismissive.
Bearing in mind the huge increase in demand and dominance of the TDI in the family / fleet car market, it would be pretty naieve to be dissmisive of derv nowadays IMO!

it delivers it's power (like every other
diesel) the instant you plant your foot. There is none of this
thrashing the head off an engine to make it move.
...'thrashing the head off'? Petrols are designed to rev, thats why you rev them! Best part too IMO [:p]

#16 ·
I hope Audi do win, and it will be a leap forward for diesel tech, but it doesn't make petrol irrelevent.
Yup, when BMW make one of their 3.0 petrol sixes as torquey and as economical to run as their 2.0 turbo diesel then I'll buy one[:D]..........[;)]

No the economy is no better.
'tis actually........ (don't you just hate a smarta*se[:p]) give them another 2 laps over the petrol cars - not much, but when you add it up over the course of the race it's a fair distance.

Reading the MN preview that's where I got the details and where they also backed up your comment about the torque from very low down. The problem in building the car was finding a gearbox that could handle the torque Nearly double that of the petrol race cars I think) - ended up with a Ricardo 5 speed I seem to remember.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.