·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes or No?

I'm looking to replace my rather old and tired JVC 15" tv (i think its
15 anyway) and am looking for something around 19 or 20" with
widescreen and preferably flat panel.

Can any of you buffs recommend a good quality unit?

Thanks [:)]

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i recently bought a Video7 26'' LCD TV and its superb, dolby sound, picture quality is superb, only cost ?425.00 inc VAT

[:D]

they do smaller ones 23'' as well, have a look on the web for them

·
Registered
670 Posts
have i read this right!? crt better than lcd - oh please

Regarding smaller LCD panels, Panasonic, Hitachi and Philips are pretty good. The Hit 28" is a fair size for the money, or the 23" Pana is quality.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I was thinking the same thing - CRT better then LCD - er hello??

As you probably know, Im the UK supplier for a big brand name. From Oct all the manufacturers will be launching new models which will have an even higher spec and more of the HDTV compatibility that people look for - what this will do is push the price of the current range down, just in time for Xmas!

·
Registered
476 Posts
My TV decided to stop working on Friday night (always happens a good time!). Went to a few high street stores and got a 26" for ?500 which i don't think is that bad considering it was a rushed job, it's a nice size for the room. Can't even remember the make now, but my Philips 28" (normal flatscreen job) that was only just over 3 years old and ?800 new (!!) I always thought Philips were OK, but nope. Never buying a 'big' name brand TV again, if this does me a few years then it's done it's job.

The pic quality seems pretty damn good to me anyway.......maybe got a 26 for cheaper, i dunno, but it was a rush in, rush out with TV in hand.

·
Registered
354 Posts
have i read this right!? crt better than lcd - oh please .
Have you done any reasearch!!

A quick look on the web or even with your eyes will tell you the pic quailty aint as good as a crt.

(from web)

CRT Displays

The most
common complaint about CRT's is their weight and size. A 21"
CRT will rob you of valuable desk space and can weigh upwards of 50 pounds!
All around, CRT's reproduce color, brightness, and picture
clarity better than anything else
, which is why they are used as
a benchmark for all other monitor types
. If CRT's are your game,
there are only two tubes you want powering your beast. A Sony
Trinitron or NEC/Mitsubishi Diamondtron. These tubes use aperture-grille
technology - nothing can beat them.

CRT vs LCD Comparison

[*]

Size and Weight: LCD's get the big win. Their
small footprint makes them extremely adaptable to just
about any surface. Many even have special mounts so you
can hang them on walls.

[*]

Picture Quality: In a few years this
category could very well be a tie. Right now, LCD's still
lag somewhat due to less than true colors, brightness,
and lack of flexibility with resolutions.

[*]

Real Estate: While there are 24"
CRT's, none are recommended. The best models
are 21". Also remember when choosing a CRT, your screen size is roughly
the whole size of the next smaller monitor. This works backwards for LCD's, another bonus when choosing them. A
19" LCD is actually closer to 20", which
explains their pricing.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I'd agree with the CRT being a reference standard. The two major things LCD/TFT have over CRT are inherently supreme sharpness, sometimes almost to the point of harshness, and perfect geometry that will never drift. Both of these attributes are due to the image being produced by a fixed grid of pixels and light source whereas a CRT has to project the image from a considerable distance, and the distance from the electron beam to the phosphors will continuously vary, so you have beam focus and convergence issues to deal with as well.

CRT runs rings around LCD for reresh rate, running different resolutions and perhaps most importantly, colour gamut. The black level is also better and even the best flat panel technology cannot match it yet. I have a Vaio notebook with second generation X-black LCD (two backlights instead of one, but first generation otherwise had the same special screen coating which gives it that distinct image quality) and everyone comments on the bright, punchy image but next to my 21" FD Trinitron CRT monitor it's no contest - I use the Trinitron every time for my graphics work. LCDs are getting better in this respect but CRT remains the reference. In the professional and broadcast industry, reference monitors cost anything up to the $40,000 mark, and the overwhelming majority are based on CRT.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Research? Im in the industry....

My point basically is that LCD techology for the past 6 years has been developed rapidly and that CRT has not had any further development by ANY of the CRT tube manufacturers - CRT will be a Dead product for large displays in the next 5 years - why? because the manufacturers will not be able to make enough money selling them. My Sony 28" Wega was ?950 new about 4 and half years ago, and yes its a very very good screen...But, a 32" LCD would blow the doors off it for speed and definition for less then I paid for that making the 28" Wega probably worth ?300 new now (Ive not checked CRT TV pricing)

Your arguement about colour definition and resolution is a understood, but only about 20% of the population would even notice the difference now. Ive already seen the next gen screens working with a HD set up and it was stunning - but these will be top end for 6 months until the next next gen is launched sometime in the summer next year - BIG BIG happenings then on TV technology...

I think the point here between everyone is personal choice, I personally prefer LCD and you obviously prefer CRT..

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I bought a 17" WS Toshiba - Freeview built-in for the bedroom and it's very good. http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Referrer.asp?SKUNumber=103267&ReferrerCode=1

Still not as good as the 32" Digital CRT downstairs.......

Personally I think whatever you buy should either have a digital tuner built-in or if you've got a seperate box then no need to worry.
Digital TV has full WS broadcasting on many channels and to have a stretched analogue picture is just so 'dark ages'.......!![;)]

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Research? Im in the industry....

My point basically is that LCD techology for the past 6 years has been developed rapidly and that CRT has not had any further development by ANY of the CRT tube manufacturers - CRT will be a Dead product for large displays in the next 5 years - why? because the manufacturers will not be able to make enough money selling them. My Sony 28" Wega was ?950 new about 4 and half years ago, and yes its a very very good screen...But, a 32" LCD would blow the doors off it for speed and definition for less then I paid for that making the 28" Wega probably worth ?300 new now (Ive not checked CRT TV pricing)

Your arguement about colour definition and resolution is a understood, but only about 20% of the population would even notice the difference now. Ive already seen the next gen screens working with a HD set up and it was stunning - but these will be top end for 6 months until the next next gen is launched sometime in the summer next year - BIG BIG happenings then on TV technology...

I think the point here between everyone is personal choice, I personally prefer LCD and you obviously prefer CRT..
LCD is nowhere near as clear and sharp as CRT infact unless your spending serious cash on it the picture quality is freakin dire!! and yes I have seen HD tv in the States.....

·
Registered
354 Posts
LCD is nowhere near as clear and sharp as CRT
infact unless your spending serious cash on it the picture quality is
freakin dire!! and yes I have seen HD tv in the States.....
Well said, you can clearly see when you step into any tv retailers that it aint upto much. Yet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We binned our old (faithful) Black CRT and bought a Sony Wega 23 " lcd..... The picture quality is no where near the quality of current CRT. That's a fact.

But it's funny how you forget, and get used to LCD. We needed a flat screen (slim) TV to fit the layout of our living room...and the space gained is incredible. Plus we did quite a few tests in the shop - and from the same distance, looking at all the different screen sizes, the smaller screen seems to have the sharper picture.

In other words- get the right sized TV for the room - if you've a small room and get a massive LCD 32+ you'll be playing 'count the pixels' all night.

We couldn't be arsed to wait for an internet delivery and paayed over the odds at our local shops - but a little over ?600 will get you a descent 23" LCD. We went for Sony as we prefer the aesthetics of it - but I've heard that Panasonic are probably the best right now....

My 2 pence worth!

s

·
Registered
139 Posts
"I'm in the industry"

what exactly ?

that comments vagueness could just as well apply to a 16 year old school leaver working in Currys [:)]

btw I currently own a 43" Pioneer HDMI plasma with Arcam HDMI DVD player and can testify that my old Panasonic 100Hz widescreen CRT which must be at least 6 years old now and lives with my mate, blows it away for black definition.

LCD and Plasma may be the new tech but they still don't match up in some very important areas just yet. What they do very well is take up a tiny footprint and have spot on geometry. To the purist that means nothing I know, but they are indeed flawed nonetheless.

The best small screen I saw recently was my Dell 2405 24" PC monitor [now sold to fund an MFD2 would you believe] great setup for bedroom, had my highdef Xbox, Shuttle PC and cheapo divx dvd player all connected and could also watch highdef material in 1080i.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I work for a very large LCD and Plasma Manufacturer, and because I post some stuff on here sometimes to help people out, I dont want to say who.....

Also, as Im usually on here during work hours, I also dont want to say who.

Ive just returned from Berlin, where the worlds largest Electronics Fair is being held (IFA) and every manufacturer has new products for christmas on LCD. the basic word was that CRT will now only be available in FLATscreen format and they are trying to incorporate them to Digital and HDTV to make sure they can still sell them.

I wish I was 16 again, they were DAMM good years!!!!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Ive just returned from Berlin, where the worlds largest Electronics Fair is being held (IFA) and every manufacturer has new products for christmas on LCD.
I'm guessing here - did Eric go with you? He works in Weybridge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts