Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know we have a lot of AV wizards on here so I thought I'd ask ...

I've seen a Sony set up inc. LCD TV (KDL-32V2000) and DVD System (DAV X1) - It can be found for £1500 on t'internet.

With that as a max budget, is there a better option?

Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Currys have been doing alot of good package deals recently, I bought a 37" LCD LG tv with black glass stand, LG surround sound & 7" LCD TV with Freeview for £1500 I'm really impressed with the whole package, especially the TV. The 37" is a good happy medium between the 32" and 42" which can look to big depending on the size of your living room.

Have a look on www.avforums.co.uk for all the reviews.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It does all depend on what you want. You'll probably get a basic surround sound system with the tv but don't expect it to sound earth shattering. It's perhaps a good starting point and after a few months you may want to look at adding an amp and speakers/sub to complete the experience.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Well the TV seems to be well rated for image quality http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61818

Ya got me thinking now... no, no... no more toys [:|]

Aye, you'll get OK sound from the bundled speaker system but at the price they're all about the same, you need to go to the next price bracket for much better sound. Also seems to be a stereo only speaker system not multi-channel?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've use some bad wording there - It's not a bundle/package offer.

The TV is around £1100 and the DVD System is around £500

DVD seems expensive though?

Also, 32" LCD Samsung equivalent is nearer £750.

Just wondered what the opinions were ...

·
Registered
894 Posts
You should check out the Denon DHT 500 SD this really is a nice bit of kit.......

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo-2.cfm/Product_ID/1974

The Samsungs do pick up good reviews as do the Sonys, what you may want to check is the connections on each TV and made sure it covers you needs, if you have a 360 you will need a VGA connection because the component input will be used by the DVD player.

Also budget about £50 for a decent component cable.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Is it really like for like though? Screen size alone isn't everything... Is the connectivity and feature list the same?

·
Registered
894 Posts
But £300 diff between Sony & Samsung seems huge!

Can't seem to justify it!
I don't think Sony even make their own LCD units, they are mainly made by Sumsung & LG for all the big brand names.

Your best bet is to go to John Lewis and see the screens in action, I think you would probably be quite happy with the Samsung.

John Lewis is also a good place to purchase because all TVs come with a 5 yr warranty.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
A recent review I saw slated the samsung, rated the Panasonice, Sony and JVC. I do think Sony make their own screens.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The Koreans very wisely invested heavily in LCD, Sony works with Samsung, LG teamed up with Philips to create LG Philips Displays... NEC combined with, er, Mitsubishi in computer displays at least. Most of the Japanese manufacturers source their panels from Korean manufacturers, but the raw panel just a component (albeit an important one...), you need to add driver electronics, video processing, backlighting, filters, blah... and that's what differentiates the final products. One of the strong points of the Bravia screens is the special wide gamut backlight, basically gives an extended colour spectrum that closer matches CRT.

A lot of people say blah xyz don't even make the screen but this has been going on for decades in the electronics business - open up any electronic product and you'll see a variety of manufacturer names, even those of direct competitors! Sony Trinitron CRTs were used in loads of other brands' computer monitors, NEC and Toshiba LSI chips are used all over the place in the boring control bits inside, Sony/Philips optical drive mechanisms in the majority of audio and DVD players on the market, TDK ferrite cores on the majority of bundled power and signal cables, Elna audio capacitors in, erm, audio equipment, Crucial/Micron memory in your tier one brand computer! Same with cars... Your average "VW" Golf contains bits from Bosch, Valeo, Hella, ContiTech, Varta, BBS [:p], NGK, Philips, Osram etc. etc.

·
Registered
894 Posts
A recent review I saw slated the samsung, rated the Panasonice, Sony and JVC. I do think Sony make their own screens.
Reviews can be helpful but are very subjective, I've seen numerous reviews where a piece of AV equipment gets a great review in one mag and slated in another, this is why I suggested having a look at the TVs in action.

By the way the panels in Panasonic LCD TVs are suppied by Samsung although they do make their own plasmas.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Totally agree with you, there's no substitute for looking at something yourself. Which is why I went for plasma and not lcd.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pic on the samsung was ok, but sound was awful!

i think i'll
be getting the tv first then dvd etc a month or so later. well
disappointed with the samsung, i really wanted to like it [:(]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts