Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed my new LCD seems very grainy, like watching a 380x420 movie on the PC full screen. I take it this is normal with LCD TV's?

If so, will that QED scart lead I bought today make any difference to this? Feed is coming from my sky box. If that doesnt make any difference, would it be worth using a decent PC I got to make a media centre? How does sky work with a media centre? I take it then I could use the DVI to HDMI feature?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Theres a few settings to set up in the sky box... prob best todo a search of avforums, some really good info even some that will probably reccomend ideal settings for your TV

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Do you mean grainy or blocky, or both?

LCDs do show up a lot of things you would not have noticed before on a CRT, and when resampling the source resolution to fit the native resolution, all kinds of artefacts can come up. Also they are still more limited than CRT in some respects, notably colour gamut - though this is improving all the time.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's more blocky I would think. Had friends on this morning while eating breakfast. Was ghosting like mad. Whenever they moved, it wasn't proper, like they had left 3 shadows behind and it was all blurring into each other.

Mates got the same TV and hes got the same issue. It's not a bad spec one either. I was seriously thinking of putting the CRT lump back this morning. Changed channels from Friends and it seemed better.

I haven't treid a DVD yet, was only in last night for about an hour. My mate said hes got used to it now. Thought it would be better than this though? Until I get this scart I can't really say if it's the cheapo scart lead. Would a media centre sort this? As it would be running into HDMI and obviously from a graphics card?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
yeah but if you are still using the sky box as a source then i probably won't be much better.

I'd make sure you've got all the settings right on the sky box and check AVForums for an example of how someone else has set your tv up with regards to brightness, colour, contrast, etc... it can make all the difference believe me

·
Registered
674 Posts
OK, tell me how you have everything connected - these sort of problems can be numerous things, or a combination of lots.

IE - Sky Box through Scart? You'll need a damm good SCART lead. Some people use Component or Svideo (!!?!??). Then, you need to check your picture settings on your SKY Box. RGB might be on as this is usually set up for CRT TV's. You will notice the difference just on the sky menu when you change from one to another. Seriously have a play with the settings in the Sky Box, as you should have an absolute crisp picture with that unit.

If you have an Xbox 360 make sure you buy the official MS VGA Lead - for some reason MS have been able to code the output that if another lead is used it is no where near as sharp - trust me - its unbelievable!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It's more blocky I would think. Had friends on this morning while eating breakfast. Was ghosting like mad. Whenever they moved, it wasn't proper, like they had left 3 shadows behind and it was all blurring into each other.
This sounds like it could be the result of various picture enhancement/processing filters that many sets now have. Unfortunately most of them have some undesirable side effects and so are normally switchable.

So...

RTFM [;)][Y]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, tell me how you have everything connected - these sort of problems can be numerous things, or a combination of lots.

IE - Sky Box through Scart? You'll need a damm good SCART lead. Some people use Component or Svideo (!!?!??). Then, you need to check your picture settings on your SKY Box. RGB might be on as this is usually set up for CRT TV's. You will notice the difference just on the sky menu when you change from one to another. Seriously have a play with the settings in the Sky Box, as you should have an absolute crisp picture with that unit.

If you have an Xbox 360 make sure you buy the official MS VGA Lead - for some reason MS have been able to code the output that if another lead is used it is no where near as sharp - trust me - its unbelievable!
The sky box is on RGB. Switching it to PAL made things worse, or at least made the actual sky text worse. I have tried the sharpness on the sky box also. The sky box really doesn't have many functions, unless someone knows a back door.

The TV has many different modes. But this just changes the colours and 'mood'. I also have power saving modes, which basically make it dull or bright! Nothing I have tried will change the actual picture quality.

Yesterday one of those Garnia adverts came on. The girls eyelashes were all bunched up into some pixalated mess, just looked like a black smudge. Her lips were the same.

Have bought the QED cable, just got to wait for it to arrive.

Will let you know the exact settings later. But basically, sky box is connected to the TV via the scart lead that came with the sky box. Thats it. Plain and simple. I suppose I could try composite, see if that makes a difference as I have the leads. Watching friends this morning....I'd be ashamed to put my TV on in front of guests.

It looks nice though! When its off! Will try AVforums tonight when I got time to mess around.

Shiuming. The manual is in french....even if I could read french, it probably wouldnt mean anything! [:p]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
We have a Sony LCD connected via Scart to a mini Sky box in our bedroom, the picuture quality is good. The only problem is that the sound can go out of sync with the picture occassionally which I was led to believe happens sometimes with LCD TVs.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The TV has many different modes. But this just changes the colours and 'mood'. I also have power saving modes, which basically make it dull or bright! Nothing I have tried will change the actual picture quality.

Yesterday one of those Garnia adverts came on. The girls eyelashes were all bunched up into some pixalated mess, just looked like a black smudge. Her lips were the same.
I don't know anything about Sky's video encoding rates but when I bought a Freeview digital TV after being wowed by the apparent difference in clarity between analogue and digital while observing some sets in a showroom once (the lack of ghosting was just stunning, at the time), I have since realized that until the full bandwidth is used, digital (Freeview) at the moment is actually really pants, like looking at a heavily compressed JPEG or listening to a low bitrate MP3. It's chock-full of artefacts and I think it's rubbish. Which wouldn't be too bad if any of the content was good.

This is on a CRT, too. An LCD panel will look even worse.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn! Ordered that QED scart lead yesterday at 4pm roughly and it's at my parents house already.

Mum rang to tell me I have a parcel, told her to open it and she tells me its a 'Scuu-art'....bless her! So will pop to my parents after work, pick that up and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I don't know anything about Sky's video encoding rates but when I bought a Freeview digital TV after being wowed by the apparent difference in clarity between analogue and digital while observing some sets in a showroom once (the lack of ghosting was just stunning, at the time), I have since realized that until the full bandwidth is used, digital (Freeview) at the moment is actually really pants, like looking at a heavily compressed JPEG or listening to a low bitrate MP3. It's chock-full of artefacts and I think it's rubbish. Which wouldn't be too bad if any of the content was good.

This is on a CRT, too. An LCD panel will look even worse.
Thats what mine is like, just that, a heavily, very heavy compressed JPEG. Or a WMV video thats an hour long, but only 3mb in size.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you have the leads, try both....you might find you prefer the picture quality on non scart.

Also, Ive found that if you use Discovery channel as a test channel as the bitrates on that channel seem to be alot higher - dont know why but when ever I get my LCD Customers to demo a LCD they always now use Discovery.

Are there resolution settings on the TV? Because you have brought something that couldnt be found in the UK easily enough its going to be hard to find somebody else with the set to ask for comparisons but on AV Forums there are alot of our European Neighbours so you should get good answers.

Hopefully your QED scart lead will give you a much better picture - the cables Sky themselves give are the cheapest cruddiest most poorly shielded things made in Cambodia in a Mud Hut!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have the leads, try both....you might find you prefer the picture quality on non scart.

Also, Ive found that if you use Discovery channel as a test channel as the bitrates on that channel seem to be alot higher - dont know why but when ever I get my LCD Customers to demo a LCD they always now use Discovery.

Are there resolution settings on the TV? Because you have brought something that couldnt be found in the UK easily enough its going to be hard to find somebody else with the set to ask for comparisons but on AV Forums there are alot of our European Neighbours so you should get good answers.

Hopefully your QED scart lead will give you a much better picture - the cables Sky themselves give are the cheapest cruddiest most poorly shielded things made in Cambodia in a Mud Hut!
LOL at the scart cable. Could do with a tidy up behind my TV anyway. 8 plugs etc next to the cables can't be very healthy. I also got my phone next to the sky box, but this shouldnt make any difference? (BT digital cordless?). It's only sitting there as thats where the phone line is and the power!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Some things can cause interference including power cables. Try to
run power leads at 90 degrees to the other leads if possible. If you
have a component connection on your lcd then use that as it's going to
give the best quality picture. The output from the sky box is fine but
most channels are using low bitrates, often even lower than freeview.
If they increased the bandwidth per channel rather than releasing loads
of crappy new channels all the time people would be a lot happier.

Unfortunately
with lcd and to an extent plasma they will really accentuate any flaws
in the signal. It doesn't matter if you run it through a media centre
as if you feed crap in you'll still get crap out. There may be menus to
play with on your lcd that could help so have a hunt around. If you
have a french manual go to the website and download an english
one.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The output from the sky box is fine but most channels are using low bitrates, often even lower than freeview.
Well there's your answer Graham. Crap in = crap out, although with your swish new QED SCART cable it'll be slightly better quality crap [Y]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
How old is your Sky box?

Reason I ask is I recently went from an early Sky+ box to a new HD box and the picture difference on the standard broadcasts is massive!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How old is your Sky box?

Reason I ask is I recently went from an early Sky+ box to a new HD box and the picture difference on the standard broadcasts is massive!!
Less than 2 months old, new Amstrad box.

Will give this cable ago tonight, see what happens. If it's still crap, I'll just cry.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts