Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment i am de-swirling my car, yesterday was a slog, but today i WILL finish it, if its the last thing i do! So far its looking great. Menzerna really is great stuff!

Afterwards i plan to appy some layers of wax, i have a few products to use, i just wated to check on the order, number of coats and curing times (if any).

I plan to:

Apply 1 coat of clearkote vanilla moose wax hand glaze, then

Megs NXT liquid wax, then

Harlys wax on top.

Will these products layer well? And how long should i leave between coats? I think the Harlys is the one that will need a period to cure.

Can anybody help me out a bit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I can't help with your questions mate, sorry.

But is it possible to de-swirl by hand? I thought that could only be done using a porter cable etc?

Cheers

Del

·
Registered
32 Posts
Personally I would apply a layer of the Clearkote, I would leave out the NXT and apply a couple of layers of Harlys Wax.

Not that the NXT isn't good but you'll find that it'll probably clean off most of the Clearkote because of its mild cleaning agents.

With NXT it's best to apply it first and then seal over the top.

With the Harly's I wouldn't apply more than two coats as it'll start to mute the flake coming through the wax.

Hope this helps! [Y]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah.... Leave out the NXT.... As above, it will clean most of the VMW away, and to be honest, you'll probably get about as good durability from the Harly as you will the NXT.....

De-swirling can be done by hand of course but, it's certainly not an easy task like waxing the car....... You can't use such an abrasive polish as you can by machine because by hand you can't work or break down the abrasives efficiently enough, therefore you'll just cause further marring.... A light diminishing polish is best by hand but you'll need to do a good couple of applications but, from that you should start to see results.

Cheers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice, i'll leave out the nxt then, i did wonder weather it would strip off the clearkote as it is synthetic.

Del - i am using a pc! And the LC pads i received from alex in the week - cheers mate!

So VMW then harly - how long between VMW and Harlys? Can this go straight on?

The harly wax will need to cure, unless i use the spit shine technique, correct? I've never tried spit and shine before.

Thanks again.

Edit: Another quick thing, I dont know weather i am a particularly messy machine polisher, but i have managed to get polish everywhere in the process! There is some in the cravaces that i missed when taping, and just generally over the paint. There is mostly dusting left from polishing, spread about, but also some residue that hasn't been completly buffed off in some spots.
What would you recommend to get rid of this? A whole car wash (shampoo), or should i just use some (well actually, lots of) quick detailer and a mf?

Cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice, i'll leave out the nxt then, i did wonder weather it would strip off the clearkote as it is synthetic.

Del - i am using a pc! And the LC pads i received from alex in the week - cheers mate!

So VMW then harly - how long between VMW and Harlys? Can this go straight on?

The harly wax will need to cure, unless i use the spit shine technique, correct? I've never tried spit and shine before.

Thanks again.

Edit: Another quick thing, I dont know weather i am a particularly messy machine polisher, but i have managed to get polish everywhere in the process! There is some in the cravaces that i missed when taping, and just generally over the paint. There is mostly dusting left from polishing, spread about, but also some residue that hasn't been completly buffed off in some spots.
What would you recommend to get rid of this? A whole car wash (shampoo), or should i just use some (well actually, lots of) quick detailer and a mf?

Cheers.
I find a quick blast with the Karcher does the trick! [Y]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Elliott,

It's not because the NXT is synthetic that it will strip the VMW.... It's the mild cleaning ability in the product that would do it. Most 'pure' sealants wouldn't strip anything, it's just that NXT is one of the few that has a light cleaner in it as wellgiven that a large majority of the people that would use it, may pick it up on it's own without any other cleansers, glazes etc, so it's been made to do a little bit of everything without going to the extent of being a full on cleaner wax.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Try it, or do as I did..........

I mixed a bunch of glazes together & it gave a good result

Vaniila Moose Hand Glaze, Menx Finishing Touch & Pinnicle Carnuaba Glaze [Y]

Posted Image

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man! Jace that is a serious reflection!! Good stuff!

Is that sort of reflectivity only possible on black or something? I wanna get my jazz blue looking like that!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I'm sure you could get it close but nothing touches black for depth, which is your main contributor to the shine shown.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sure you could get it close but nothing touches black for depth, which is your main contributor to the shine shown.
Cheers, i was gonna ask, is your paint not completely swirl free anymore? Just wondered why you're not "mayor of swirl free city" anymore? [:S]

I might try some new stuff, alex (sp) recommended Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection for my colour - ever tried this? Ive only ever used megs nxt tech wax as far as sealents go, so maybe this will make a big difference. I'll just end up with more empty bottles of products!!

Cheers

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I used Clearkote red machine glaze and two coats of p21s spit n shine method, came out quite well.

That was right after it had all been done but it was a cloudy day which was perfect for detailing but not for taking pics
Posted Image

About 2 1/2 weeks later

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Cheers, i was gonna ask, is your paint not completely swirl free anymore? Just wondered why you're not "mayor of swirl free city" anymore? [:S]
No, its effect was stolen by the imigrants, who left town [:p]

I just got board with my siggy.

Simon,

Nice pictures, that 1st image has some good depth to say it was a poor day[Y]

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That looks very nice Simon, isn't the red machine glaze pretty much the same thing as the vanilla hand glaze? I always think that stuff works a treat on my car, make the reflections very clear. Normally i find putting harly wax over the top makes the reflections slightly less clear (but more of a wet shine), thats normal though isn't it? [:^)]

This is pretty much my best reflection pic, right after applying the product in the pic!

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Cheers you two, yeah I think the only difference is that the RMG doesn't contain any abbrasives.

Nice reflection shot [H] Its looks even better in a garage [:p]

Posted Image

Need to have a look at the bloody window seal, I keep forgetting!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts