Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ez ppl. i got pulled over by the coppers today and gave me a 30 fine cus my front windows were "illegal" i was wondering would they send me anything through the post telling me to take the tints off or just the payin the fine will be ok cus the copper didnt give me anything at the roadside either

cheers

·
Registered
782 Posts
I use to have all my cars tinted, but the Kent Fuzz have got really hot on it.

I personaly would take it off, Ive been told that if you are involved in an accident and the windows are tinted on the front, The insurance company will try and wiggle out of a claim.

This law came about because a lady in wales pulled out of a side road in broad daylight in an X5 with Tints and killed a Motorcyclist, who had his lights on.

So are tints really worth the loss of a life ?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
From what I remember, you are legally allowed to have your front windows tinted but they have to let at least 65% of the light through (they call it a 35% tint.

If you can prove your tints are legal, I would appeal. If you can't, I'd take them off.

Chances are the insurance will deem your cover void if they're not legal tints and you've not declared them.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Quote: posted by midcuk on 19/01/2005 10:34:27

correct me if im wrong but isnt the law any tint on the front windows is illegal if applied after jan but if applied before jan and within the 70%vlt level then it is legal ?

Wouldn't have thought so. How do you prove when they were fitted

·
Registered
313 Posts
Did the police use a photo-meter to check the tint level.

I have now changed my visor on my crash helmet to s removable film, this apparantly is not illegal, even though the tint level when using is quite dark. The argument is that you can remove it when the light level drops so not illegal.

Same goes for sunglasses I suppose - the woman who pulled out on the motorcyclist could have been wearing heavily tinted shades, but would not have been done for it.

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Sukh - you best take em off boy otherwise your gona b dishing out a lot of ?30 fines. [;)]

By the way sukh pm me a picture of ya golf - I remeber what it looked like when you first got it but it would be intertesting to see what youve turned it into.[:)]

·
Registered
574 Posts
Quote: posted by kjohal on 19/01/2005 13:39:44

Sukh - you best take em off boy otherwise your gona b dishing out a lot of ?30 fines. [;)]

By the way sukh pm me a picture of ya golf - I remeber what it looked like when you first got it but it would be intertesting to see what youve turned it into.[:)]

Just post some pics up on here mate, would like to see how dark it is.

What %age is it and where did you get it done?

Oh and wherebouts did you get pulled in Leicester!

My mate has got a red celica with dark tints (and i mean dark), hes had it for about 2yrs and hasnt had any probs round leics!

Sounds like it may have been a case of "oh im bored, lets pull someone over"

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yawn

The laws real easy forget percentages ANY and i mean ANY even pentagons supa *** special light tint is illigal b-post forward if you've got tints pay the fine and have them removed or just get on with it

sdesailly will tell you how dark mine is and iv never had a problem with the law at all

So to recap for all those not listening NO TINTS B-POST FORWARD AT ALL you manufacturers glass is only just on the legal limit

If you want them removing we'll remove them for you cheap and properly

·
Registered
15 Posts
ANY even pentagons supa *** special light tint

ive got this if cought what will i get, do i remove first or chance it (dont want car impounded or owt daft) is it just warning or fine or points or what

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yo Sdesailly the only reason they pulled me over cus i was doin 80 mph in a 30 mph zone and they cudnt keep up to get me in time which slightly intoxicated them off so they followed me all the way round leicester and pulled me near narborough rd, gave me a lecture about speeding and gave a ?30 quid fine for the tints. I got them done at ICS speak to Tim and mention my name with the silver golf he'll know. by the way i got 25% on the rears and 35% on the fronts where 25% is the darkest.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts