Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having tried different ways of launching from a standing start in my 4mo I haven't yet worked out the best method of getting a decent run from standing.

1st gear seems all a bit pointless and time is further lost through a gear change, however a start in 2nd gear is not particularly quick over the first 20 yards unless you are moving slightly. Besides that you are changing up to 3rd by the time you are hitting 55 - 57mph.

What methods are you other V6'ers using from a standing start? Are you using say 2nd and 4th and let the torque do the rest?[?]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Launching in second will be a sure fire way of bringing your clutch to an early end of life!!

I tried four second gear launches back to back, on the forth I scorched my clutch. It stunk for weeks after!!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
rev to 4500/5000 rpm (esp off) and side step the clutch, anything less such as a quick release and it will slip, also when changing try to keep the revs right up, if you can rolling start from say 10mph I would dip the clutch put in second rev to 3500 and sidestep the clutch again.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I launch by holding revs at around 3500rpm, then let the clutch in REALLY QUICKLY (pretty much instantaneously)

That way the car shoots forwards with a tiny weeny bit of wheel spin, and NO CLUTCH SLIP.

Red line it in 1st, and then bang your way thru the gears.

Launching in 2nd won't pull you out any advantages over other cars, and you'll be loosing the benefits of 4wd by doing so. Use 2nd gear only when pulling away in normal 'sunday' driving stylee

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quote: posted by geo_nr1 on 02/11/2004 23:16:23

Same as GTI Fly. Maybe just a bit higher on the revs.

Yeah, I suggested 3500, cause it's not too harsh on the clutch, and it's pretty much enough to see off most other cars![8D]

Anything above 4k, and you're really talking FAST launches [:D]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Many revs as I dare then dump the clutch and hold on.

Grab 2nd as fast a possible as the rev counter does not appear to keep up with the revs of the engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What a great topic!

I've found pleanty of revs, and off the clutch real quick (not a complete dump as seems to bog down a tad i find. but nearly) and you get that brilliant 'leap' and whilts you're mid jump before it revs out grab 2nd gear and away you go! :eek:)

Another one i guess would be how do people attack 90 degree junctions?

·
Registered
40 Posts
[quote

Another one i guess would be how do people attack 90 degree junctions?

[/quote]

Depends upon the severity of the turn. Never go into first, as you will break you neck with the kangaroo petrol in the R. Second gear all the time.

Also for fast launches, I hardley lift my foot changing into second or third.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow! I just tried sidestepping the clutch @ about 4k rpm. I was across the junction and into 2nd before I realised what was happening! ESP off and no wheelspin on a damp road! [:D]

Made a bit of a bang as the clutch came up though, is that normal?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Remind me to neva every buy a 4Motion or R32 off any of you guys!!!! [}:)] It is a cool topic though, I just can't bring myself to be so harsh with my car. I remember thinking when I first got the 4Motion that the car did not seem capable of the claimed 0-60, but it most certainly is... seems the key is that bolt start, where you gain most of the fractions of a second...

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Yo guys, i'm not familiar with these terms "dump the clutch", "dip the clutch " and "side step the clutch" can you clarify them for me.

I normally take off at 3500 but with the esp on... why do most of you normally switch off the esp?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
slows the car down bud... it reduces power to the wheels changing the distribution to provide traction where there might be a slip. By removing it you remove that 'extra brains' thinking time, and use human judgement to finer balance the task!!!

'dump the clutch', is just letting go bud.. as quick as you can (Possible wheelspin alert but then 4wd pretty much sorts that out!!)

'dip the clutch' means press your clutch pedal.. ie to change gear!!

and sidestep clutch I am presuming means balance the edge of foot on clutch then let it slip off, Ie treat the clutch like you are firing an elastic band... 4wd and high revs still means little wheelspin!!!

That clearer? [^]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Never had a 4wd before so it was a strange feeling when I gave it some from the lights for the first time! Plus the other night I stopped on a wet road turned off the ESP and really gave it some stick and I didnt go anywhere straight away the back wa just floating side to side slightly for a few seconds then I was gone gave me a smile.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts