Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Just retrofitted my new GTI steering wheel and Airbag (Thanks Foxy). So much nicer than the standard Plastic one in my SE. The wheel feels awesome, really nice and chunky.

The old:
Posted Image

The ultimate anti-theft device:
Posted Image

And the new:
Posted Image

Overall, extremely pleased with the outcome, would recommend this wheel to anyone. I think I got the whole setup for a steal aswell, ?51 for the wheel (eBay bargain) and the airbag was ?175 from Foxy. I was quoted ?500.94 for the airbag at my local VW dealers!

Enjoy

Tom

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments.

Yeah it's absolutely great to drive with- been out for the last couple of hours giving the car a nice blast around some B-Roads and it feels fantastic.

Really pleased.
Tom

·
Registered
593 Posts
Tom, you lowered the car yet? Looks evil in your sig pic. You put any more pics up??

Btw, wheel looks good too!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys! Really makes the modding worthwhile.[:)]

Funnily enough, I got a load of pictures along the way for a how-to. I will post this up a bit later on when I put my Xbox360 controller down!

Tom[:)]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tom

I am currently geering up for fitting a MFSW (See ICE & Electronics section) on my Golf which will need the removal of the SW, did you ever get round to doning a 'how to' ? Would be greatfull of any further information and details of tools required. Especially how to get the top cover of the column off and the tool required for teh big nut for the wheel.

Many thanks

DaveL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Have been a lurker on the forums since I got my MKV in September. Looking for some help and info on part numbers and where to get the airbag for the three spoke wheel. I have found the standard leather three spoke wheel on ebay, but it comes without the airbag... any help on where to get one from would be appreciated, dealer prices obviously being a bit steep....

David

VW Golf 1.9TDi SE, Laser Blue.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

Have been a lurker on the forums since I got my MKV in September. Looking for some help and info on part numbers and where to get the airbag for the three spoke wheel. I have found the standard leather three spoke wheel on ebay, but it comes without the airbag... any help on where to get one from would be appreciated, dealer prices obviously being a bit steep....

David

VW Golf 1.9TDi SE, Laser Blue.
Sorry for the late response,

As said in the original post, I got the airbag from Foxy who was breaking a GTI at the time, the only other option I had was the dealers who wanted ?500 + VAT.

I'm afraid it's a case of waiting for one to come up either on forums or good old eBay.

My car is getting part-ex'd and I doubt they'll give me any extra for the wheel so if you fancy a swap + some cash my way then get in touch.

Tom

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll let the pictures do the talking.[;)]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2006 '06 BMW AC Schnitzer tuned 3 series cabriolet. Nicely in time for the summer.[:D]

Not to worry though i'll still be round here because my brother picks up his 06 Golf GTI on friday, which i'm also on the insurance list for.

Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking to do this mod... But have a couple of questions:

1) Is the GTI steering wheel black? If so, and the GT TDI airbag fits the steering wheel, how does it look?! Any piccy's?

2) Once you remove the steering wheel, do you have to get the power-steering re-calibrated at the $tealer?

3) How much is the wheel?

Thanks,

fM

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi flakmunky

First of all take a look at the' Retro Fit MF Steering Wheel Buttons' thread in ICE and Electronics as allot of the information you may need is in there with some good pictures. In responce to your questions:

1) I think (not 100% sure) that the early GTI wheels were antracite and not black, check with the parts man at the dealers to see if you can still order a antracite GTI Wheel.

2) To the best of my knowledge if you only remove the wheel you dont need to get the steering recalibrated. This only happened to me as I remove the steering column electronics module, to which the steering angle sensor is also attached.

3) Talk to the parts man at the dealers and he will be abel to give you a price for the GTI Wheel you are after (unless some one else knows on here). Alternatively look arround on E-Bay for some good bargins.

Cheers

DaveL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts