Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hoping someone will know where the Lateral Acceleration Sensor is on my car (2000 mk4 GTTDI115 AJM) as I have 2 error codes coming from it.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's located on the steering colum,I think about half way down,take the external cover's off

you'll find it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously?? I was told it was somewhere completely different by the stealers. And they reckoned it was not easy to get to. The Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)...in the steering column...the bastards...

Don't suppose you know what it does and what it looks like do you?

Thanks for answering the questions

Chris

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi Chris, that looks like it, but im going off my wifes A3, that has same fault showing as yours, is your traction control light coming on intermittently?, this is one of the controlling sensors, try pushing the plugs in tighter, ive heard they can work loose.

good luck, let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave...

Yes the light was only coming on intermittently....when I did a scan with VAGCOM it showed these 2 errors

Address 03: ABS Brakes

Part No: 1C0 907 379

Component: ESP 20 CAN V005

Coding: 18945

Shop #: WSC 00356

2 Faults Found:

01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)

27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

01423 - Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)

57-00 - Electric Circuit Failure - Intermittent

When I fitted my Road Angel I just thought I would give everything in the dash a quick push in and now the fault hasn't come on again in several days...well chuffed...just wanted to confirm that this was actually the correct part....thanks Dave

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok....so light came back on this morning. Gonna scan the car later and see what fault code I get

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi chrisl, showing same fault code as my wifes A3, must get round to getting that sorted,

a word of caution though, dont start shaking or tapping the latteral sensor if you take it off, they are very sensitive and easily damaged, a guy at Audi told me they have to be replaced if dropped or knocked about, about ?130ish [ouch] plus fitting and setting up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VW quoted me just under ?500!! and thats just for the part!

I 'm not going to remove it but i think i will use some cable ties to hold those plugs in place so that its harded for them to come out.

If you get this sorted would it be possible to know what you solution was?

Many thanks

Chris

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gonna bump this as I want to know if this is def the offending part in question and also see if anyone else has had this issue

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I'm also having this fault, has anybody found a cure? It went into the stealer last week for it's service and they said that they had re-connected the brake light switch and the fault went away for a few days and then it came back! Grr! I'm having exactly the same fault codes as above!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Anyone know?
The lateral acceleration sensor monitors yaw. In other words if your back end kicks out or you lose the front end. It works in conjunction with a sensor in the steering wheel. This article explains it pretty well. As far as I know the sensor is located under the steering wheel so at a guess I would say the part in the photo is the sensor. You could always unplug it and run a VAG-COM test.

http://germancarscene.com/2006/10/26/vw-esp-plus-steering-impulse/

·
Registered
262 Posts
can anyone confirm if these exist on 2wd golfs as Im getting an error with mine, and from what I have read these only exist on 4wd motors. I was poking about with the brake pedal switch yesterday as my high level brake like isnt receiving any voltage, and that was just before this came on. Ithink it might be a phantom error related to the brake pedal switch as I dont appeat to have the sensor shown in the pic. Can anyone shed any light please?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have found where it is on mine, its at the left hand side of the steering column, has an orange sticker on it and appears to be in two parts held togther by a gold frame:

Iv checked the connections to mine and the fault is still there.

Does anyone know if these are the same on all golfs? Going to the scrappy tomorrow anyway, and this looks about pocket sized [y]

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ok so this is still intermittant and p1 ssin me off. Its not the connectors that go to the sensor, they are sat fine, and waggling the cables while driving with it not in its failed state does not cause the 'angry' light to come on.

can someone point me to what module this connects to, and whereabouts it is located in the car so I can check the connections at the other end?

·
Registered
262 Posts
These are going for £100 from my local scrappy, wtf!

Anyone have any ideas which ECU module the looms from this connect to so I can check the connections that end? Dont want to fork out £100 to find it doesnt fix the problem [:O]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts