Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy new year to everyone.
I have got a problem with a laptop. Borrowed it to a friend and got it back and now its full of spyware. It will load up fine and then it will change the background and load a warning background stating spyware is present. Then two system tool programs will load and the laptop is near impossible to access anything. It states that the program is infected. I have tried the system restore from the control panel and this is also infected. I have tried to add a new admin user but this will not work. The only thing I have got is a windows XP disc but the laptop is vista. Its a Acer aspire 5536/5236 series. Anyone know how I can fix it?
I need the laptop asap. I do not need anything from the laptop as its not got any documents on it.
Danny. Sorry if this is unclear but its the first time I have been on here with my phone.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's possible it has a recovery partition, boot the laptop and keep hitting alt+F10, if you have the recovery partition this should begin the recovery process (don't worry it will ask you to confirm etc...).

·
Registered
581 Posts
In all honesty (even though youve now fixed it) I would seriously think about ridding yourself of Vista and getting windows 7, there were so many security flaws in Vista its unreal

You can pick up a basic copy of Win 7 now for around £80 well worth every penny

If you do plan on staying with Vista get rid of all your anti-virus / spyware / adware programs and goto the Microsoft website and download Microsoft security essentials, its basically an all in one program that's very unintrusive to the system

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is nothing wrong with vista, just keep it service packed and updated.

AV programs don't deal with malware particularly well so you should probably add malwarebytes as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Vista was crap but it has been improved a lot with SP1 and SP2, I agree it's not as good as W7 but I don't see the point in spending £80 on a laptop which is probably a few years old (guessing as its vista pre-installed), save the cash and get a new one [Y]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts