Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for all the DIY questions recently!

I have laminate flooring downstairs in the lounge and hall. When I clean it with a mop, it gives a lovely, darker colour and the light shines off it as it's still wet.

When it dry's the colour returns back to dull with no light shining off it!

Is there anything I can put on the floor to produce that wet shine all the time? I have heard stuff like olive oil works a treat, but as this is a floor I don't want an ice rink! I don't know if a polisher would work, afterall it's only laminate, not real wood.

I haven't got any olive oil, only sunflower oil and I do have a couple of spare bits I can try things out on. So, anyone any ideas?? I would love the nice shiny effect, but not something that I'm going to break my neck on when I slip everywhere!

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I dont think you will be able to achive the glossy look as your laminate probably is matt. Polishing it with any sort of oil will make it slippery and you will probably break a leg/arm/both... [:(]

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Couldn't say for sure, I'd certainly test it on a spare length first... I suppose the possible problem would the laminate not giving enough for the varnish to stick to and it would peel?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right!!!

Here I go!

The waxing approach! I have various waxe's left over from when I had a nice car. Waxes such as Poorboys Ex-P, Clearkote Vannila Moose Hand Glaze, a clay bar (to get rid of any dirt first), shampoo's, bug remover (to get rid of any hard things there may be somewhere) and some diamondbrite, aswell as some turtle wax paste wax.

I'm reckoning, a few square inches on one of the spare pieces (I aint got that much) doing the following:

Clay, Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze topped off with some poorboys EX-P (which should give it a lovely smell also!!)

What you reckon guys, new use for the car products?!

In Jackass style 'this aint gonna work.....it might'!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Use some 'proper' cleaner from Quick Step or someone like that, dries to a matt finish but buff it and it'll bring it back to the way it should be.

Where abouts are you? Have loads of cleaners etc for laminate flooring here at work (Leeds) Not suprising since I sell Laminate flooring!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Use some 'proper' cleaner from Quick Step or someone like that, dries to a matt finish but buff it and it'll bring it back to the way it should be.

Where abouts are you? Have loads of cleaners etc for laminate flooring here at work (Leeds) Not suprising since I sell Laminate flooring!
Well used to live in Heckmondwike (near Batley) but thats of no use now as I live in Devon!

You say 'the way it should be'. Should it be nice and shiny? Just I love it when I have mopped it and it's still wet, looks so much better. It's all dull again now and is literally like a matt finish.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Glistening moist wood?

Must...........avoid............temptation...............to................make................gag..................

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Im sure theres some kind of laminate floor seal.. as ive been cleaning our tiled floor lately and the same as you it would look mint and shiny when it was wet etc.. but when it dries up it lost its deep colour and wetness.. so i popped down to b and q and baught some residue remover and some tile seal.. the residue remover made such a big difference on the tiles i was quite shocked by how much extra muck came off whilst using that it's much better working than normal soap and water.. and then i glazed it with the tile seal and now its nice and shiny and slip free. All in all it cost about £17-18 and still got half a litre left of both bottles, so can give it a top up when it goes dirty and dull again.

hth

Sat [y]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glistening moist wood?

Must...........avoid............temptation...............to................make................gag..................
It only glistens after I have given it a good polish..... [;)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im sure theres some kind of laminate floor seal.. as ive been cleaning our tiled floor lately and the same as you it would look mint and shiny when it was wet etc.. but when it dries up it lost its deep colour and wetness.. so i popped down to b and q and baught some residue remover and some tile seal.. the residue remover made such a big difference on the tiles i was quite shocked by how much extra muck came off whilst using that it's much better working than normal soap and water.. and then i glazed it with the tile seal and now its nice and shiny and slip free. All in all it cost about £17-18 and still got half a litre left of both bottles, so can give it a top up when it goes dirty and dull again.

hth

Sat [y]
So the tiles had a dull effect and now look more like when they are wet and have been washed? Excatly what I'm after, though with laminate.

I would have given the waxing idea a go, but realised that all my waxes are still back at my parents house in the garage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts