Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys need a "Wedge" for my post cat Lambda sensor when using a De-Cat DP to stop a CEL getting thrown up...(before I get mapped later this year)...Anyone know where and how much I can get one for?????

Also if anyone has one they don`t require anymore now they have been mapped and had code cleared for good......please PM me....

thanks

Nick

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi,i havent heard of a wedge, but i have heard of a black box that tricks the ecu it sends a signa back to the ecu like the lambda sensor so it thinks its working.i had the same problem on my v6 4-m in the end i got sport-cats because the black box is hard to get hold of and they dont work that well its hard for them to map the car.is that any help?

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi,i havent heard of a wedge, but i have heard of a black box that tricks the ecu it sends a signal back to the ecu like the lambda sensor so it thinks its working.i had the same problem on my v6 4-m in the end i got sport-cats because the black box is hard to get hold of and they dont work that well its hard for them to map the car.is that any help?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI........Not heard of these "black boxes" myself and they do seem a little completcated for what they do.........The "wedge" is just an angle block that the sensor screws into so it puts it out of the exhaust flow.....hence lowering the reading the sensor is sending to the ECU thus it thinks that the CAT is still working in its set peramiters........when it actually isn`t fitted at all.......

I know these "wedges" are available from the states....but wondering if the various tuners use them and how I can get me hands on one......

cheers for your help mate

Nick

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi,

wish i new about this "wedge" i would have not bothed with the sport-cats could of save mysellf 500squid! might pay to give the phirm a ring and speak to tim.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ick,

Did you every find this "Wedge"? sounds like i need this to fix my problem. Let me know

Rob
No mate still working on it........have heard Star Performance sometimes use them....have sent a PM but nothing heard yet...will keep you informed.....

This is why I went for a complete De-cat instead of a sports cat........cant justify the cost of them TBH and know for a fact that when using a De-cat you are gonna have the best free flowing system that is possible.......[Y][Y]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nick,

Have you had an MOT with the De CAT on yet? Did it fail the emissions test? Im getting Revo Stage 2 but just wanted to do an emissions check, i did it and it failed and im wondering if the lamda sensors are messing around with my mixture and making the emissions fail??

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Ow3n,

No mate I haven`t MOT`ed the car with the De-cat on yet......and prob wouldn`t TBH...I intend to just put the CAT back on come MOT time...(is only once a year after all).....I may get an emissions check done at some time just to see how far off a "PASS" I actually would be....

Nick

·
Registered
238 Posts
Im just worried that im running too rich and that the fuel consumption is not as it should be and maybe that isnt helping my emissions. I know someone who has a de cat on a vectra GSI and his passed the test!! Also,  I have noticed since the decat im using much more petrol.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was the car mapped BEFORE the De-Cat went on then????.....If so then I guess the map wouldn`t be allowing for it......(unless the ECU can adapt to acommodate it....not to sure if its to much of a difference to cope with tho??? [*-)])....hence why you may be over fuelling.....saying that better to be running a little rich than lean I suppose [Y]......As regards to the consumption....it makes sense...thats the overall downside to tuning....if your after making good power there is only one place it will hit you.....your wallet!!!!!! [:(]

You`ll prob agree tho spending all the money you have to get the smile factor/power......fuel/runnings costs just get out weighed and put to the back of your mind......[:p]

Nick

·
Registered
238 Posts
Indeed, the Car has the Revo 4 bar prog atm but the de-cat is me getting it ready for stage 2. Maybe that will help it but im not sure[:^)]. I guess I will just get it on and see from there.... and your right the huge smile on my face is worth the dent in my wallet[:D] the De-cat along with the TIP makes a beautiful sound!!!![:D]

BTW - Do you know if the police do road side emissions checks? And if they do I guess they just give you a certain amount of time to get it rectified? after all, i dont know that Im driving around with a broken CAT officer.[:p]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nick,

I think we have a result!! I have been searching and have found this.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1366095

As you can see the guy has been CEL free for 12,000 miles!!

My only problem atm is sourcing the bits required. I can get them from USA (http://midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?794)but wondered if you know of these and if they are available over here? Im going to try a couple of places tomorrow but if we cant then I thought we could split the shipping and get them ASAP.

Let me know

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi mate,

You seem to be going down the identical route to me...[Y][Y]...(am gathering all my mods up together prior to my visit to MRC Tuning)...would def say that your Stage 2 will sort your fueling out...(mine runs rich on the standard software)....so don`t think your gonna have any probs there mate....

Glad your getting a BIG smile factor tho...[:D]....You running a Samco/Forge TIP???.....(I need one of these too..[Y])

What filter you currently using???

Right have looked at your link mate....and think we are out of luck on this one [:(]......the sensor screws into the TOP of our De-Cat DP....(Not actually sure the make your running tho??)....mine is a Megan Racing one??....So by the time we "Space" our sensor there is NO way its gonna clear the exhaust tunnel.......[:(][:(]...Mine is VERY close already.

The "Wedge" things ive seen are angled so clearance isnt an issue......have been told there is info on vwvortex about these too....just trying to find it.....[;)]

If we can get these "wedges" from the states am def up for spliting the delivery costs etc with ya????

Shouldn`t worry about on the spot checks....(Don`t think you can actually be checked for emissions at the roadside anyhow??)....and worse case if the police thought something was a little dodgy you should get a few days to sort it out...(is another case like the "Race Can" issue on sports bikes)

will try and find this link and get back to you mate........[Y][:D]

Nick

·
Registered
238 Posts
Gutted, It took me all day to find that article[:(]

We are running the same DP!! Do you have and vibration noises when moving off? I do and I have read that it could be the DP touching the steering rack?? Those that have the problem have hammered a little dent into it to fix the problem??

As for my intake - I have an ABD Q-Flow CAI. There are pics on my site, have a look..the pics are a bit out of date now as I have the original rear lights back on as i got fed up of my LEDS and TBH the straw that broke the camels back was when my neighbour said they look rude !!! They were off the next day and sold on Ebay!!

anyway let me know how you get on and I will have a look on the vwvortex site too

need stage 2 then get it on the rollers to see what the damage is!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oops....sorry mate....[:p]....hate bein the bearer of bad news.....[:$]

Not now mate but did have the FIRST time I fitted it....(was on and off three or four times at the fitting stage..[:'(])...you my have read my previous posts on the fitting issues??....I actually put the DP in an hydraulic press and put a smooth "kink" in the pipe to clear the rack...(but a hammer would of course do the same..[:p])

Ok cool will have a look.....reckon good move on the rear lights not a big fan of them myself either....[:p]

will keep you updated mate....[:D]

·
Registered
238 Posts
can you send me the thread link for your exhaust fitting pls. The search funtion doesnt work and there are over 2658 threads![:|]

you going to PM the VWVortex guy or shall I?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts