Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Spudley 
#1 ·
Recently go this fault 16521 P0137 035

02 sensor circuit Bank1 -Probe 2

Voltage too Low

What is probe 2? is this the probe before the cat?

Any advice is appreciated!

#13 ·
Quote: posted by Daz Wilde on 11/04/2005 11:24:36

Recently go this fault 16521 P0137 035

02 sensor circuit Bank1 -Probe 2

Voltage too Low

What is probe 2? is this the probe before the cat?

Any advice is appreciated!

Bank 1 is standard termonology it basically only means anything if it is a V5 or V6 which has two banks and four probes. Probe two is behind the cat.

#14 ·
Strictly speaking, only the 4 motion V5s and V6s have two banks of lambda probes. Hence, all UK-supplied V5s have one bank with two probes.

The fault might just be due to a dodgy connection.

I get the very occasional "slow response" error on probe 2, which seems to make the fuel economy slightly worse until I clear the fault. It's happened once or twice in the last 6 months, so I won't be getting it replaced just yet.

#15 ·
So is probe 2 before the cat (meaning the first one nearest to the engine)..... What ive got on now which are meant to be the right ones are parts:

022-906-262-P - before cat

022-906-262-S - after cat

Ive just got the after cat one as what was on mine was for a 4 motion.

I was thinking maybe it was a dodgy wire or connection due to it saying voltage too low?

#17 ·
On a 4 cyl engine you will only have 1 bank (V6's will have 2 banks for example). Probe 1 is before the cat and is responsible for checking the oxygen content of your exhaust gas to determine fuelling/how the engine's performing (air-fuel mixture).

Probe 2 is after the cat and is used by the ECU to determine the efficiency of the cat. Low voltage is probably due to the probe getting contaminated, take it for a good thrash! It could also indicate that your Cat's not as efficient, but I wouldn't worry 'bout this just yet. As long as it's a constant voltage I wouldn't be too concerned.

Many people wrongly diagnose lambda probes (especially when using VAG-COM), the faults you're displaying look to me like the probes are working correctly.

New probes aren't aged when new or when fitted new! They age as a result of the environment they work in, the ECU will monitor the ageing of the probes (O2 Cross counts) for itself.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.