Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been announced. The European Court of Justice has decided that Sexual discrimination is rife in the insurance industry, and consequently women have to pay the same as men, gender cannot be taken into consideration when applying risk assessment.

So, expect motor insurance to go up for women, and stay about the same for men.

Silver lining though, it doesn't come into effect until December 2012, although knowing insurance companies they'll be straight on the gravy train, won't they.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Heard about it this morning. Hadn't been aware of it until today though. I'm not convinced its a good thing though.

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
What about age discrimination? Its all BS quite frankly!
[:-*]

If they realise this as well which way do you think it will go? All pay the same as the 40 something with 12 years NCB, or the same as the 17 year old who's just passed?

It's just another stupid example of solving something that no-one really had a problem with in the first place.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway. Petrol will price everyone out of their cars long before the insurance goes up.[:(]

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it anyway. Petrol Fuel will price everyone out of their cars long before the insurance goes up.
Fine by me, I roll on Heavy Fuel.
I have adjusted for your benefit. Diesel/heavy oil is not going to be cheap either, even with 50%ish more miles for your money. Not when it hits £2 a litre.

We'll all be on bicycles soon

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
All good to see this happening, I'd say the majority of men are better drivers than women. The amount of incompetent women you see driving around is mad.

Would be nice to see mens insurance go down though.

All in all however, generally men are the main household income earners.. And I'm thinking a lot of men out there pay for their partners insurance.... [facepalm]

Correct me if I'm wrong!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Matt, the statistics say otherwise when it comes to women and their driving.
Statistics also show that on average, left-handed or ambidextrous people live 7 years less than right-handed people.. but do you really believe that?

I'm not saying women have accidents more than men because of all the young men out there with their foot to the floor - as soon as the testosterone has worn off (or you've neutered them lol) most men are quite sensible I think, but the amount of times you see a middle aged woman barely able to successfully move around a car park without touching bumpers with other cars/walls/lamp posts/people etc is crazy, or maybe its just where I live?

-Rant over-

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
No, lol, it's not just where you live. But. What difference in cost is there between a car park bump or ten, and another fatality on a Saturday night on the 'local twisties'?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
No, lol, it's not just where you live. But. What difference in cost is there between a car park bump or ten, and another fatality on a Saturday night on the 'local twisties'?
very true but...

are the stats that say women are better drivers (or less likely to have a serious accident) done on the number of accidents women are involved in , or number of acidents women leave in their wake?

on several occasions ive seen a woman cause an accident and not even know it , thevy just carried on in their own little bubble putting their make up on in the rearview at 40mph.

Not saying all women are bad drivers before the WI members jump on my back. plenty of men are bad drivers too, white van men,taxi drivers and bus drivers being some of them.

I saw a women driver this morning behind me in a brand new 11 plate mk6 GT, well actually ill rephrase that . the car was behind me at the traffic lights and all i could see was two sets of knuckles on the the steering wheel, i could see no face or even a forehead. After we had turned a corner i realised "thing" from the adams family wasnt rolling in a mk6 golf there was actually a very small lady in there ! surely if i cant see her she cant see a lot out the window either? maybe im weird but i like to see over the steering wheel not through it at the sky

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
its not really about who the better driver is.

there excellent male & female drivers but then again there a load of male/female drivers who shouldnt be on the road.

the other day i was driving on the motoway and there was a jeep driving on the line (middle lane and fast lane)

the driver was oblivious to what they had done wrong. turns out it was a WOMAN(lol jks) putting on frigging make-up

the think that got me was any amount of make-up she used wouldnt have made her look any better[facepalm]

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
The insurance industry is extremely competitive, and in order to stay in business the companies have to use all sorts of figures/stats/facts. Put yourself in their position, pretend you've just started your own insurance company..... And I don't know where some of you live, but in general ALL drivers I see during 25-35k miles per year are ok. We all let ourselves down every now and then, and I appreciate a little leeway when I make a mistake. 17 years ago I achieved RoSPA Gold standard for my driving, yet I'm still learning every day. But the awful driving standards I witness first hand while a passenger in a car driven by someone with an attitude beyond arrogant really does worry me at times. So be careful about how good you think you are!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts