Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says really - I have heard the name mentioned but have no idea if their tyres are any good.

My mother needs a new set of tyres on her 4 motion and she has been offered a set of these (although I do not know which type) by a local tyre firm.

Any opinions or comments much appreciated and greatly recieved

·
Registered
473 Posts
They are just cheap tyres basically, I bought a alloy package years ago and they put them on them, they aren't good tyres at all, I'd advise against them.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If your Mum drives normally I'd recommend them, if she drives like a nutter then they do slide a bit in the wet but only when provoked.

They're motorsport reputation is building, good rally tyres.

I've got some on the front of mine and they're very good for a budget tyre. Bear in mind that I had 2 x 205/55/16 fitted and balanced for ?84, if you want class leading quality and price isn't an issue then don't buy them go for a more well known make.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Avoid! These things came on the missus' Lupo. They're just downright dangerous tyres. You can scrimp and cut-corners on whatever you like, but in my opinion, tyres aren't something you should cut corners on (no pun intended). Places round here were doing 205/55/16 Dunlops and Firestone tyres for about ?40 a corner, there's just no excuse for using crap like Kumhos, Fuldas and Matadors these days.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had Kumho's on my Rover 200 BRM (they were on there when I bought it). I managed to spin it in the dry. I wouldn't.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by golfv64mo on 29/09/2004 11:54:11

Avoid! These things came on the missus' Lupo. They're just downright dangerous tyres. You can scrimp and cut-corners on whatever you like, but in my opinion, tyres aren't something you should cut corners on (no pun intended). Places round here were doing 205/55/16 Dunlops and Firestone tyres for about ?40 a corner, there's just no excuse for using crap like Kumhos, Fuldas and Matadors these days.

We differ there then[;)] I see Firestone as crap, the Dunlops I had on were noisy and didn't grip any better, Fuldas are a sub-brand of Continental, so made in the same factory just a different name....

What might offer a little more objective reading is the recent tyre test that AutoExpress did, I beleive the Kumhos were in the top 5.... (I can't get on from work otherwise I'd have posted a link)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote: posted by Richard W on 29/09/2004 12:06:43

Quote: posted by golfv64mo on 29/09/2004 11:54:11

there's just no excuse for using crap like Kumhos, Fuldas and Matadors these days.

We differ there then[;)] I see Firestone as crap, Fuldas are a sub-brand of Continental....

Well, Fuldas are actually a 'sub brand' of Goodyear, but the tyres themselves are made from recycled old tyres. Not so good. Firestone are the 'low price market' brand of Bridgestone tyres. My point still stands though - when quality tyres are available at very reasonable prices there is NO reason to buy rubbish tyres that will a) wear very quickly and b) provide less grip.

I'd still rather have a set of branded tyres that I'd actually heard of on my wheels than some no-name, cheap, recycled and possibly unsafe tyres on my car. Just my 2p's worth though!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I would avoid the Firestones and Fulda's of the tyre world, and spend maybe ?10-15 extra per corner on some Toyo's..... cheap, but boy are they good!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Kumhos have just brought a new high performance tyre, which has been get rave reviews. I check mytyres.co.uk and they cost over ?160 each for 235/35/r19.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have Fuldas all round on my golf 215-40-17 and have never let me down and they even last a long time, every one has there own opinion Fuldas are good for me I even replaced one the other day with the same tyre

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by golfv64mo on 29/09/2004 12:32:46

Well, Fuldas are actually a 'sub brand' of Goodyear....

I stand corrected, interesting to learn that Dunlop are owned by Good Year too! AFAIK there's an element of recycled content in most new tyres these days so it doesn't make much difference what you buy. As VW fit Kumho as OE to new cars they can't be all that bad....

I'll give you an honest opinion after next week as the tyres'll take a good thrashing over the roads of Mull, I hope they're better than the Michelins that were on the Merc I took last time - they were awful, no confidence in whether they'd grip or not so couldn't push on at all.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Ive tried nearly every big brand tyre there is (I used to work for a hire company that let me swap my tyres with new hire car tyres) and IMO michelins are the worst tyres I have ever had in terms of grip (out of big brands that is) and continentals are good but wear atrociously quickly, bridgestones are the daddys, and pirrellis are the best compromise, as are firestones and firestones seem to have a very good wear rate, and you cannot beat Uniroyals for wet weather but again they dont wear well. IMO that is

·
Registered
287 Posts
I work for a major airline and I notice Bridgestone tyres on the aircraft I work with. Rated 200mph with exceptional wet weather handling, not quite the same as vehicle tyres but it would give me a lot of confidence in the manufacturer [:D]

·
Registered
646 Posts
Quote: posted by ukguy on 29/09/2004 20:36:28

I work for a major airline and I notice Bridgestone tyres on the aircraft I work with. Rated 200mph with exceptional wet weather handling, not quite the same as vehicle tyres but it would give me a lot of confidence in the manufacturer [:D]

Aye and I remember once hearing/reading that they are all remoulds to boot [:O] Seem to do the job so who cares.

Wouldn't risk cheap tyres on a good car personally.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by Ricardo on 29/09/2004 20:57:25

...Wouldn't risk cheap tyres on a good car personally.

Me neither[;)]

Auto Express Tyre test:

1 Vredestein sport trac

2 Goodyear Hydragrip

3 Barum Bravuris

4 Uniroyal Rallye 550

5 Continetal Premium contact

6 Kumho Ecsta KH11

7 Fulda Carat Attiro

8 Dunlop SP Sport 01

9 Michelin Pilot Primacy

10 Avon ZV3

11 Firestone Firehawk TZ200

12 Yokohoma C.Drive

13 CEAT Tornado

14 Bridgestone Turanza ER30

15 Toyo RoadPro 610

Big name brands don't always deliver the goods any more.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts