Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys & Gals

I'm looking at getting the Koni Sport Adjustable Suspension Kits (http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/koni.html) fitted at Awesome GTI at some point in Jan.

Has anyone else used this kit before ? If so, how much of an improvement does it give to the cars handling.

I may also get the powerflex bushes kit for the front and rear done as well (http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20bora/suspension.html - see bottom). Again any views advice on this ?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi mate,

I can't really comment on the Koni kit as i don't have it fitted to my Bora, but it is quality stuff and should'nt be a million miles off the Eibach pro-kit i have fitted i would imagine....

The Eibach's (-30mm springs and pro dampers) has totally TRANSFORMED the handling and ride of my car without sacrificing ride quality, in fact my wife says the car is more comfortable now and is really does improve the handling no end and gets rid of the crashy ride and wallowy handling, well worth every penny imo [:D]

I really don't think you will be disappointed with the Koni stuff mate...

HTH

Steve

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool,

After my run in with my brother-in-laws Focus ST170, I desperately need to sort out the handling of my car. Mine is a totally stock PD150 and I could keep up with him most of the time. It was only when we hit the twisties that I had to back off. In some of the corners, it felt like my motor was gonna tip over.

The ST170 looked like it was sticking to the road. So once I get the suspension sorted and a re-map done, I can go back spank him with a diesel !!!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Beddie ... You running 16" or 17" on your motor ? Just wondering wether my 16" will be ok left on after the konis have been added, or should I up them to 17"/18"
I'm running 17's with 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport's, you loose a little (very neglible tbh) in ride quality over the 16's, but the improved grip and looks more than outweigh that imo... [:D]

Your 16's with be fine though mate and the car will visually look a little lower than when 17/18's are fitted due to the higher tyre profile, but to fully exploit the suspension mods i would go for bigger rims if only for the better grip offered

Ut-oh, i think i can hear your Visa card crying........[:'(][:p]

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
@cmgreen, yes mate i have the full Eibach pro-kit fitted, -30mm springs and pro-kit dampers, good stuff and comes highly recommended... [Y]

I got them from Demon Tweeks and IIRC the springs were ?115 and the dampers ?306

That price included some forum discount i managed to get, if you speak to Dave Poole @ Tweeks on 01978 663027 and name drop the forum he should sort you out.... [:D]

Steve

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
Hey there! have a look at our site, www.awesomegti.com and
go to the 'about us' page and have a read though the testimonials.

The guy there had the same dilemma.

hope this helps

Dean.

P.S. good choice of kit by the way!! its the way forward!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I decided on the koni kit.  just got to figure out if I can afford the powerlex bushes kit's front and rear to be done at the same time.  Or rather should I say...... Can I convince the misses to let me have it done.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've had the Koni dampers on my car for about 3 years now.  Really like them.  Much more control than the horrible wallowy stock ones but still with lots of comfort.  I'm probably going to get the Koni springs myself early in the new year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts