Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sarah

When I put the koni kit on do you recommend changing the top mounts or any thing else while the suspention is off the car

Rich

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
Its never a bad idea, whats the mileage?
There's no really much else you can change when doing the shocks and springs as you don't really have to take anything else off.

hope this helps
Dean
(and sorry for the delayed reply!!!)

Oh and don't forget to get you tracking/allignment done as soon as poss. afterwards!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got home last night after we spoke and thought i would make a start.

The weather was still ok. got the car on the axel stands both rear wheels off, o/s rear suspension off, so far so good although the nuts amnd bolts were like they were welded on... then the rain came down like a tropical storm so much so the the road flooded like a river.. so just put it all back together (quickly and badly). never been so wet and cross

anyway.. just put the rears on and it looks ok... may try the fronts in a bit.

let you know and send a pic when its all on

Rich

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all 4 shocks are on and my first impressions are very good. Thanks for all your advice the other day I think this is the right kit for me

the ride is amazing, no body roll and not to firm. nice. totaly different to drive

I did however manage to snap on of the top adjusters on one of the front shocks. so I now have non adjustable koni's luckly the setting seems to be set of soft so its not a big deal.

my only niggle is the rear still sits a little high, I used the standard bump stops from the old shocks as non came with the kit. Do koni do a set that may drop the rear a little more?.

Thanks again

Richard

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi Richard

Heavy handed? At least it is ok.

The rears may settle a little.

Give it a bit of time as it can drop with some miles on its back.

So I would not think about lowering it more just yet wait to see what it settles like.

I can see what I can do for you too with the bump stops.

Give us a shout if we can helo you any more.

Oh and I still wont mention the FMIC [;)]

Sarah

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Ive spent the morning driving round like a loon. I never would have belived the way a sort suspention set up encourges you to drive faster.. must be a confidence thing. The standard set up is very very poor.

yeah was a little silly when fitting them on the front just wanted to get them on and get out of the rain so made a mistake tightening the to nuts. ( Koni instructions are poo) But the set up seems ok so I carnt see why I would want to make it harder. never goining on the track. just lucky it snapped of on soft.

The rears just sit a little higher than perfect. I would have like a tight two fingers between the wheel and the arch and ive got two fingers a a little wiggle. ( A tryed and tested method of measurement).

But im 100% happy, thanks again for your advice, looking forward to the miltek so will most likley be in within the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi

Could you just have thin fingers ? [;)]

We have a REALLY good price at the moment on these kits.

So now is the time to buy.

Hope that helps

Sarah

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The wheels are 18's and the ride is excellent. I have found its improved braking acceleration and oh yeah cornering.. its a well sorted kit and about a million miles away from standard.

Its not totally dropped but its how I wanted it. 'recomended' but not if you want a real low ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts