Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing good reviews decided on gettin Koni FSD's fitted to my 55 plate Gti, had them fitted today by Awesome in Manchester. First impressions are very good, the slighty harsh ride of the standard Gti suspension has all but gone but put the car in a corner and the grip and body control is amazing. If you haven't read about the FSD's they supposed to offer the best of both worlds, comfort in a straight line and control in the corners, by the use of some clever valving. The best thing is they reckon it will get better over the next couple of weeks or so as the bits bed in, so well chuffed so far.

While there had the car on the rollers for a power run, the results were quite impressive, 240.26bhp peak power @2750rpm, which is a little less than i'd hoped for, but the peak torque figures of 296.25 ft/lbs @5750rpm was were spot on. This just confirms how the car feels on the road, loads of grunt and really driveable so really pleased over all.

The service at Awesome was spot on as usual, they took there time on the rollers and did several runs checking results even though they were really busy .

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi

Thank you for that.

Them FSD`s are turely "Awesome"

I must admit we have only had good comments on these

We do try to ensure that everyone is happy with the work here.

It can take a little more time , but at least you know it is spot on

Thanks again

Sarah

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
had Eibach pro kit springs fitted aswell, which should lower it slightly as apparantly the FSD"s can actually raise it a little. I'm hoping it all settles a bit as it looks a little high at the back at the minute only slightly but its there. Awesome did assure me it week settle over the next week or so. Very impressed with the set up though the car feels much more controlled and although the handling was good before its spot on now.

As for the power and torque figures, no there the right way round, although 296bhp would be nice

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry, just read what i'd put, yes the revs are the other way round, 240.26bhp @ 5750rpm, and 296.25ft/ibs @ 2750. I apologise for my stupidity

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
had Eibach pro kit springs fitted aswell, which should lower it slightly as apparantly the FSD"s can actually raise it a little. I'm hoping it all settles a bit as it looks a little high at the back at the minute only slightly but its there. Awesome did assure me it week settle over the next week or so. Very impressed with the set up though the car feels much more controlled and although the handling was good before its spot on now.

As for the power and torque figures, no there the right way round, although 296bhp would be nice
Yes do be careful with ur new FSD's as someone else who fitted them lost the rear end (big spin) going thru a chicane on a track outing due simply to the rear ride height being higher making it lighter than standard (more weight on front end as a result) and quick directional changes meant rear end let go.

·
Registered
90 Posts
(FSD"s can actually raise ride height a little)

How can replacing the shocks for FSD ones raise the ride height ? as they are only replacements not coilovers etc.

The only thing keeping the car up is the springs and so if only the shocks have been replaced as the shocks have nothing at all to do with the ride height all they do is control the movement and dampen it.

Only reason it would be higher at first is because the car has been raised of the ground and the springs need to settle again.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
hmm i thought they were full coilover kits but obviously not in which case u have a good point.

No idea to be honest but I can only assume for the rear end on standard springs to end up having a "higher" ride height after fitting the shocks suggests the shocks themselves are stiffer as in it doesn't let the standard springs drop to its normal height like when used with standard shocks.

This would cause rear end to be higher.

Can't see any other factors.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes thats what i thought, like I said I had lowered Eibach springs fitted should be -30mm but with the FSD's more like 15mm, I'll see how things are in a week or so, but first impressions are very good

·
Registered
2 Posts
Early in the summer I had Koni FSDs fitted on my MKV GTI together with Eibach _TDI_ springs (they were claimed to be the better variant for the GTI)

Cornering is as others describe (good to excellent), but I'm dissapointed in the stright line at speed.

The car can be best described as light and bouncy and not particularly well-planted. Worst case is it will take off on particularly undulating roads - this is certainly worse than the stock on the same roads.

Unfortunately, many of my nearby 'blast' moorland roads suffer from undulation.

I also quite often experience a jolt of sideways movement if a pot hole or suchlike is encountered while accelerating which I don't recall from stock.

Anyone else have the TDI Eibachs fitted or any ideas on the bounce of the setup?

Would ARBs help reduce the sideways disturbance?

I'm reluctant to revert back because of the great cornering, but am getting fed up the unpredictability in a straight line!

NDF

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if there is another issue, maybe alignment? as mine feels much more stable then standard and there seems to be much more grip over bumpy surfaces, what are your tyres like maybe this could be the problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2nd set of Continentals have a little bit to go and I've tried various pressure setups but that didn't (I guess shouldn't be relied upon to) improve the ride. I think I may get a set of F1s sooner rather than later and get Awesome to check the alignement over again. I seem to have quite a bit in common with Haddock's recent post on tyres including the noise as per wheel bearing going - maybe its a duff damper?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 2nd set of Continentals have a little bit to go and I've tried various pressure setups but that didn't (I guess shouldn't be relied upon to) improve the ride. I think I may get a set of F1s sooner rather than later and get Awesome to check the alignement over again. I seem to have quite a bit in common with Haddock's recent post on tyres including the noise as per wheel bearing going - maybe its a duff damper?
sounds like something isn't right, I'd take it back and get it checked out, let them drive it and see what they think

1 - 18 of 18 Posts