Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people think regarding the new Koni FSD kit?

http://www.koni-fsd.com/

I personally think they're on to a winner here, as sooo many people are after good roadholding along with decent ride and this is what Koni seem to be offering (depending on springs of course!). How many times has there been a new thread started by someone who asks ' will my new G-max struts go with Eibach springs and still give me a decent ride when 'taking granny down the shops'?? ( thanks mk1fan for creating that scenario [:)])
Some info on Vortex here

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2099317

where it is made pretty clear that the 'FSD' experience depends on sticking to the car makers springs (standard or lowered).

comments people...............

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i haven?t got them i went for the SSK kit purely because i wanted to adjust the dampening myself. but i hear allot of good results about these. the comfort on my SSK kit is just a little harder than stock and they are set to the mid stiffness level.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

cheers<o:p></o:p>

myk3<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
247 Posts
We ran a feature on Koni FSDs fitted to Awesome's Mk 5 GTI in the October 2005 issue of Volkswagen Driver mag ? good choice for anyone who wants handling and comfort

see www.autometrix.co.uk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Neil

Will have to dig out that issue and re-read it. Have you any idea of
the availability of the kit? I can't seem to find many stocker's? (well
online anyway!)

Cheers

·
Registered
918 Posts
It is my understanding that these dampers can be used with aftermarket springs as well as oem items. I am very tempted with the adjustable sportline kit but, in truth, I don't have the knowledge to set them up properly and will most likely end up getting very frustrated. Therefore I will probably go for the FSD's with a set of new eibach springs.

Awesome have told me that Koni have been caught on the hop and weren't geared up to produce enough of them to meet the demand. IIRC they (Awesome) were expecting a delivery in March.

I would expect Elite (www.elitdirect.com) in Rainham will supply them as they supplied the Koni kit on my mates 4-mo.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Big Boys toys have these (?339 iirc, look in the GB section), although I believe there seems to be an issue with rear ride hieght when also using Koni's 40mm dropped springs - makes it higher than stock for some reason??

I want some of these, so will either be using them with my stock Anniversary springs or if there is a proven aftermarked set that isn't going to be too crashy, then I'll look into those.

Would be interested to see who has some and in what combination?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have just re-read VW Drivers Oct 05 edition where Awesome use
these together with a set of Eibach springs on their Mk V Gti, where it
is stated that the kit soaked up "some quite substantial potholes and
bumps without the car becoming uncomfortable" and goes on to say that
whilst it's no track day setup, for the 'real world' for controlled,
safe, fast road driving with ride comfort this kit certainly delivers.

I'm sold [:D]

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Have just re-read VW Drivers Oct 05 edition where Awesome use these together with a set of Eibach springs on their Mk V Gti, where it is stated that the kit soaked up "some quite substantial potholes and bumps without the car becoming uncomfortable" and goes on to say that whilst it's no track day setup, for the 'real world' for controlled, safe, fast road driving with ride comfort this kit certainly delivers.

I'm sold [:D]
Is that a quote from Awesome or the test driver in the mag?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well the question now is - as I am intending to run my car on track days and make the odd trip to Nurburgring - would I be better off with the Sportline kit. I have fitted the upper and lower strut braces, I am going to change the rear arb, and I will fit some proflex bushes as well. Fitting the FSD kit after doing those changes might be a bit of a step backwards.

Need a back to back test somewhere.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VW Driver mag actually states the FSD kit does *not* offer the ultimate
in high-speed handling for track days and competition use, so you may
well be better off with the SportLine kit. I'd think the FSD's are
aimed directly at road use...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Well the question now is - as I am intending to run my car on track days and make the odd trip to Nurburgring - would I be better off with the Sportline kit. I have fitted the upper and lower strut braces, I am going to change the rear arb, and I will fit some proflex bushes as well. Fitting the FSD kit after doing those changes might be a bit of a step backwards.

Need a back to back test somewhere.
I'm not so sure. I have the Sports as FSD wasn't available 18 months ago. I do trackdays but even then, the car is not slammed, nor on a particularly stiff damping adjustment. Some highly competent track drivers have driven my car and commented on how well set up it is, yet it's also compliant on the road. I think FSD would be better still. (To clarify, I have Konis, Eibach Pro Kit dampers, H&R ARBs and Powerflex bushes so similar to your own plans[Y].)

Next time I would buy FSD as for 99% of the time it will be a better compromise. It's not an inferior damper IMO it just does things differently. Remember, it's OEM fitment on the Gallardo.

As for it being a step backwards, no way! - assuming you have OEM dampers - to maximise those other changes you need a quality damper to rein the car in - otherwise it will still float about after rebounding on the springs.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I worded my question very badly.  I meant that given the other mods I have made and the intended use of the car - I only use it for pleasure as my work rarely requires its use and I comute by bike into London - might I be better off with the adjstable sportline kit rather than ther FSD's?  Having modded the car to optimise the chassis/handling choosing to fit the FSD's maybe a compromise to the other mods.  TBO I would like to try them both and see which one I prefer on the car.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Sure, I hear what you are saying.  If you want to see what the Sports are like PM me and you would be welcome.  I still think FSD would do the business but I'm only going by what I have read in VW Driver and talking to the guys at Awesome.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've had Koni Sports on my car with stock springs for over 3 years.  Way better than stock dampers and they have worked so well (in demanding conditions) that I'm only now getting around to changing my springs.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I wonder how they would feel with OEM GTI springs?
On my previous car I used Koni Sports with VW sports suspension springs - was fine [Y]
so its mostly down to the dampers rather than the springs?
Absolutely, assuming of course that any changes one makes are not so huge that the dampers and springs are mis-matched. I think it's fair to say that dampers make the single biggest difference assuming you are going from stock to something like Konis or Bilsteins.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Definitely. It's how they control the rebound that brings the improvement in handling that we need.

The VW sports springs are made by Eibach anyway. I dont know if the Pro Kit -30mm springs are a higher/different spec - but I bought them for the Anniversary as I was doing a belt and braces modding job and didn't want the hassle of changing springs at a later date.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts