Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On February 28, the Koenigsegg CCR broke the long-standing record held by Andy Wallace and the McLaren F1 GTR ? for the fastest speed set by a production car. It was a very close-run thing though.

The McLaren?s speed was officially measured as 240.14 mph, at the VW Ehra-Leissen test track near Wolfsburg (March 31, 1998). This equates to 386.39 kph.

Driving the Swedish supercar, at the Nardo proving ground, Loris Bicocchi was officially recorded at 387.87 kph, or 240.87 mph.

Andy Wallace read out the speeds over the radio seven years ago, and his final figure was 391 kph ? but that was (presumably) not 100% accurate. Jonathan Palmer set an average speed at Nardo of 372 kph, during hot weather testing of the F1 GTR, in 1993.

Quite an amazing car, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The 9FF was not being officially recorded at Nardo so did not count was my understanding.

I expected alot more from the CCR as in theory it is capable of 250 mph in pure physics terms.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The Koenigsegg in the Gumball 3000 movie wasn't that quick. Seem to remember it spent most of its time dumping fluids on the hard shoulder[:eek:)].

Give me a McLaren F1 (or 9ff for that matter!) any day of the week.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some official stats for you guys:

Christian von Koenigsegg is confident that his car could reach 395 kph or more, in a straight line. It is already in the Guinness Book of Records as the most powerful production car (806 bhp), a title it inherited from the Koenigsegg CC8S.

Nardo Average Speeds, Over 1 Kilometre

1. Koenigsegg CCR 388 km/h

2. McLaren F1 372 km/h

3. Ferrari Enzo 355 km/h

4. Porsche Carrera GT 334 km/h

4. McLaren Mercedes SLR 334 km/h

5. Lamborghini Murcielago 330 km/h

I'm sad to see McLaren F1 is the new #2 :(

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Quote: posted by smallboy on 02/03/2005 16:18:40

I'm sad to see McLaren F1 is the new #2 :(

ditto! Fave car of all time, ever since i went to see them in production in Woking! [8D]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I seem to remember the Yanks boasting that their Corvette Callaway Sledgehammer could do 254mph some years ago now.

It was a "stock" car too, but was never proclaimed to be faster than an F1....

·
Registered
574 Posts
Have u guys never seen a Merc Sprinter vsn before, those things fly mate!

The Koenigsegg is beautiful though isnt it!

Oh sorry to be stupid, but whats a 9FF?

·
Registered
593 Posts
UK importer for Koenigsegg is just down the road from me (in High Wycombe believe it or not!!) and I pass the place every day. They really are amazing to look at and sooo much smaller than you would think they are. They seem to come in the most lurid of colours though - currently have a brand new lime green one in the showroom and the perlescent organge/yellow car that the UK press have been using.

Posted Image

Still, not quite as good looking as the Pagani Zonda, the UK importer of which are just a little further down the road in Stoke Poges. After being passed by one of these on the M25 last week I want one - I think that engine noise has to be the closest you will get in a production car to an F1 car!

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Yep it did had in excess of 800 bhp but was a one of and by no means stock and by no means meant for anything than the purpose it served to go fast in a straight line, the dauer porsche 956 road car also broke 250mp but again it was a one off so not recorded as the fastest PRODUCTION car.

hth

Quote: posted by djhorace on 02/03/2005 17:08:48

I seem to remember the Yanks boasting that their Corvette Callaway Sledgehammer could do 254mph some years ago now.

It was a "stock" car too, but was never proclaimed to be faster than an F1....

·
Registered
836 Posts
The dauer was a production car I thought, I think you can still buy them... not cheap though $850,000

but WOW!

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I think they made enough to classify it for le-mans but I dont think it was enough to allow it to challenge the production car record, I think it is all in the details such as how many they made how long it was produced for etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts