Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. does the Ko4 turbo bolt directly on the 1.8T manifold???

2. Is this manifold very efficient or would a better flowing replacement be recommended with the ko4 upgrade?

3. With a revo remap on the 1.8T how much power can i get with this ko4 upgrade?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
you need the corresponding manifold from the lcr r or tt 225 iirc

for normal applications i believe it's fine

you will need revo stage 3 or an alternative custom map to make the most of it

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
thnx man....what about the KO3 sport, what are the reviews on it?
ko3s can give more boost and hold it longer than a k03 turbo.

revo remap on a standard 1.8t wilth k03 will put out 190-195bhp

revo remap on a standard 1.8t with a k03s will put out about 210bhp

I have a k03 on my 1.8t (arz,drive by wire) and had the revo trial on my car. I was more than happy with the power and it was putting out around 195bhp, but many members on here have said there is quite a bit of difference between a remapped k03 1.8t and a k03s 1.8t.....which made me decide to go and buy a k03s b4 i get remapped.

Ive just managed to get a k03s (unsilenced one) from a 2002 1.8t off flea bay for ?140.

get one bought :>

ps ...dont bother with the k04...far too expensive to get it all the parts and even when you have sourced all the parts you need, you then have to modify some of those parts for it to fit properly. Too much hassle for bugger not alot of gain over a k03s ;>

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
lucian what engine code do you have as this will help advice on upgrades, its stamped in dots on the left front of the engine under the plastic cover

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
thnx man....what about the KO3 sport, what are the reviews on it?
ko3s can give more boost and hold it longer than a k03 turbo.

revo remap on a standard 1.8t wilth k03 will put out 190-195bhp

revo remap on a standard 1.8t with a k03s will put out about 210bhp

I have a k03 on my 1.8t (arz,drive by wire) and had the revo trial on my car. I was more than happy with the power and it was putting out around 195bhp, but many members on here have said there is quite a bit of difference between a remapped k03 1.8t and a k03s 1.8t.....which made me decide to go and buy a k03s b4 i get remapped.

Ive just managed to get a k03s (unsilenced one) from a 2002 1.8t off flea bay for ?140.

get one bought :>

ps ...dont bother with the k04...far too expensive to get it all the parts and even when you have sourced all the parts you need, you then have to modify some of those parts for it to fit properly. Too much hassle for bugger not alot of gain over a k03s ;>
Just been going through a few KO4 Vs KO3 / KO3S turbos and wonder what type of gains I'd see side by side..Mines a 1.8T and I'm going to be going for a custom re map, sports cat downpipe -all the usual..what would the HP difference be between a KO4 and KO3..This is pretty new to me as I've just had a Revo remap for as far back as I can remember, I deally I'd like to aim somewhere near the 250 BHP mark or thereabouts.

Also hear the KO4 is a bugger to fit so again, am I better staying closer to what I already have?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
k03s is a direct replacement k04 needs manifold downpipe coolant lines ideally injectors and maf to make the most.

if you're dead set on 250 at the wheels you will need a bigger turbo than the k03s but i'd say save up and get an eliminator or similar as in the end a k04 install will creep up as mine is at the moment.

A well mapped (custom) k03s install should see you at 230-240 on our agu's i'm hoping for about 275-280 out of my k04 but i'm after torque and a wide powerband than top end figures and hope this can be manipulated during the custom mapping process

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
k03s is a direct replacement k04 needs manifold downpipe coolant lines ideally injectors and maf to make the most.

if you're dead set on 250 at the wheels you will need a bigger turbo than the k03s but i'd say save up and get an eliminator or similar as in the end a k04 install will creep up as mine is at the moment.

A well mapped (custom) k03s install should see you at 230-240 on our agu's i'm hoping for about 275-280 out of my k04 but i'm after torque and a wide powerband than top end figures and hope this can be manipulated during the custom mapping process
Cheers Tom,

Was hoping you'd reply Tom lol!

Okay well 240bhp would be more than enough for me..how much would a custom ko3s install set me back then? (approx)

Also if i go down that route is the downpipe, sports cat still necessary- what brand should I be looking for (milltek?) also I'm leaning towards a SMIC (forge?) as that seems reasonably priced - what about this?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-47297-17704-0/4?mfe=sidebar&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D110181236691

(since ive installed firefox i can't seem to make links like the above active anymore not sure why?!)

Anyway, if you could give me some idea of prices and what youd recommend that would be great..think I'd rather go KO3s for now..

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
well a k03s shouldn't cost you more than ?250 you also need the relevant turbo inlet pipe of a forge (or similar silicone one ) 75 to 120 iirc depending on brand and source (ebay to retail) you will also need say ?50 of sundries (oil gaskets and coolant) then it's mapping not sure if revo have a map but they would potentially be cheapest as they like many companies offer reduced rates for repeat mapping. a custom map from someone else will be 400 to 550 iirc (this is with the main payers like Jabbasport, MRC Tuning, Custom Code)

Mine as an example has cost

?250 for turbo downpipe manifold and injectors ( an absolute bargain)

?50 for forge tip ( another ebay bargain price was ?95 but the bloke threw in a bailey dump valve sold on)

?200 so far on sundries like pipes, gaskets, coolant oil

Mapping ?500 (going custom code as PVW have recently used them for project slow)

Probably will end up with a pipewerx leon cupra r style sports cat and downpipe say another ?350 - 400 (tbc)

You will notice fitting /modifying pulling of hair and frustration is missing as i'm doing it all myself so i can fix problems

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160168738735

found this TIP would it fit mine?

I reckon 1 1/2k ive been told a FMIC or SMIC isn't vital but I think I'd rather do it all in one go..regarding the manifold and injectors what should I be looking for- any part numbers or brand names as I'm not up on this one [:$]

Thanks for all your advice..I know it's been done to death but just wanted to gain some piece of mind for myself ta

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
That's the kind of thing to be looking for but i don't recognise that as fitting a golf without some modding possibly as one of the take off's near the wide end has a metal insert in iirc on my agu that was plugged with a blank.

If you're using fire fox to get links to work you need to put [ url ] [ /url ] round the link but without spaces

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160168738735

found this TIP would it fit mine?

I reckon 1 1/2k ive been told a FMIC or SMIC isn't vital but I think I'd rather do it all in one go..regarding the manifold and injectors what should I be looking for- any part numbers or brand names as I'm not up on this one [:$]

Thanks for all your advice..I know it's been done to death but just wanted to gain some piece of mind for myself ta
Hey dude.... That pipe is for a Golf but it is for later type Annis and AUQ engines IIRC... You can still use it but you need to blank off two holes and extend your original Breather pipe to fit alot of messing around to fit it on an AGU if you dont mind blanking two holes off..

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Just fitted my ko3s to my AGU,

Its running standard map but with next 3 months - ebay decat pipe, ebay FMIC (?289) and 4 Bar FPR,

Then custom code map.

Thats all the money I will be spending on this one. I wish I never started now!

Oh, And when I get a sec, a ko3s fitting guide.

PPS - oh and a new one of these <----------------- (Suzuki Sj or Vitara)

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Just fitted my ko3s to my AGU,

Its running standard map but with next 3 months - ebay decat pipe, ebay FMIC (?289) and 4 Bar FPR,

Then custom code map.

Thats all the money I will be spending on this one. I wish I never started now!

Oh, And when I get a sec, a ko3s fitting guide.

PPS - oh and a new one of these <----------------- (Suzuki Sj or Vitara)
Please do a fitting guide that would be great!

Cheers for the details about about the 1.8T TIP..reckon I'll get one that fits direct (samco / forge?)

How much was the 4bar FPR then?

Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm running standard map on my Golf with a K03s, but replaced my TIP when I spotted a Forge one going relatively cheap. Was a nightmare to fit - took about 30 mins with lots of swearing - but noticed a difference. (still got the old TIP - not been able to shift it on)

Noticed even more of a difference after having the APR remap trial... I'd got used to the acceleration after having the car for nearly 2 years, but with the trial driving had the same excitement as it did when I first bought it!

Saving up to get it done proper - only rear brakes, MOT, road tax, & a wedding to pay for first!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts