Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been a few posts about this turbo before, but I want to know if its worth fitting it? I have an arz code engine now so only have the ko3 turbo. I've found a couple of tt's and an s3 that are been broken for spares. If I could get the turbo and all the other bits for a reasonable price would it be a cost effective way to get more power? Or should I look out for a ko3s turbo instead?

If I was to get one, what other bits would I need from the car, I know I need the exhaust manifold but what else?

Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not an expert but I believe there are two different types of ko4, one is very similar to a ko3s and requires less extra bits but isnt capable of so much power, the other is less similar, requires more parts to be changed but is capable of higher bhp....so it depends how far you are willing to go I guess

sorry I cant be of anymore help than that

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
the two types (afaik) are the ko4 -023 (tt 210,225, cupra r & S3 fitment ) plus the ko4-001 iirc the 001 is the precursor to the ko3s hence there not being much difference it potential output (it is also rare I've onle seen them on aberican ebay for $700 as they're not factory fit on any car afaik) , it is however a direct bolt on fit. the 023 requires the different downpipe and manifold, turbo inlet pipe plus coolant and oil lines. That lot should see you aroung 260 ish with the right custom map (preferably with an fmic to go with it)

I know Turbodub is running a ko4-001 not sure who as a 023

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, Im looking to take the power of my car to around 250bhp so this could be the right direction if I can get the bits at a decent price. I will see what the breakers say...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, Im looking to take the power of my car to around 250bhp so this could be the right direction if I can get the bits at a decent price. I will see what the breakers say...
You could try the APR Hybrid K03 with K04 internals similar to what JBS are doing.

I know Awesome are doing the KO3 hybrid with the custom map...this will give around 250-260hp

Cost about ?1200 from memory....or just go the whole hog with IHI power.

Ian

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You could try the APR Hybrid K03 with K04 internals similar to what JBS are doing.

I know Awesome are doing the KO3 hybrid with the custom map...this will give around 250-260hp

Ian, was that ?1200 fitted and mapped?

Seems cheap so possibly not.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Ian, was that ?1200 fitted and mapped?
Seems cheap so possibly not.
Gary

That's what Jim told me on my last visit...hence "I'll be back"....very soon

I am hoping they will fit the turbo then use an APR custom map....it should be pretty good value for a nice middle of the road power figure.

Much much cheaper than the IHI conversion and it suits my needs

Ian

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Is it this kit - APR K04

I assumed it was similar to the kit JBS are selling (K03s/K04 hybrid
with larger MAF housing and injectors) but in reality its a K04-001
which is hard pushed to make that much more than a K03sport.

Not worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Is it this kit - APR K04

I assumed it was similar to the kit JBS are selling (K03s/K04 hybrid with larger MAF housing and injectors) but in reality its a K04-001 which is hard pushed to make that much more than a K03sport.

Not worth it IMHO.
Gary

See what you mean from their web site.........although Jim reckoned that APR's new software upgrade phase 2 maps will produce better figures than those published especially with bigger DP's etc and there was mention of a new manifold being developed to utilse the turbo output.

Interesting though

Ian

·
Registered
165 Posts
JabbaSport have plans for a similar hybrid turbo. I was talking to them about it last week. Although curiously, the guy I was talking to (Nick?) wasn't overly enthusiastic about it. Instead much preferring the IHI route..
Anyway, I have no idea when they plan to sell it, could be a while away yet, knowing Jabba ;)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Thought the JBS 04 was making closer to 290bhp? with trimings obviosly....
Have you seen a car achieving this yet?
Someone on this forum IIRC...... call JBS...
Hep had the JBS/CC04 with larger MAF housing and uprated injectors.

He also has pretty much all the bolt-ons including exhaust and FMIC.

Plots from ukmkivs RR day:

WHP and Torque

Flywheel power

I made 8whp less (RS Golf 4whp) and both made more torque.

Ukmkivs RR day at Awesome GTI

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some interesting stuff here, so what would be the most cost effective way to get my car pushing out around 250bhp?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thought the JBS 04 was making closer to 290bhp? with trimings obviosly....
Have you seen a car achieving this yet?
Someone on this forum IIRC...... call JBS...
Hep had the JBS/CC04 with larger MAF housing and uprated injectors.
He also has pretty much all the bolt-ons including exhaust and FMIC.

Plots from ukmkivs RR day:

WHP and Torque

Flywheel power

I made 8whp less (RS Golf 4whp) and both made more torque.
Ukmkivs RR day at Awesome GTI
Gary is this the same setup as the fella on SCN that rolled 290hp?

Definatly not worth doing if it is.... thought it was supposed to see 250 - 260 without trimmings!

Seem to recall the AM04 that Shock-xe is making rolled 270hp! what about the Bill-04? any news... ahhh soooooo many questions!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts

Definatly not worth doing if it is.... thought it was supposed to see 250 - 260 without trimmings!

Seem to recall the AM04 that Shock-xe is making rolled 270hp! what about the Bill-04? any news... ahhh soooooo many questions!
Assume you're talking about Robdon with the Leon mapped by Star Performance?

Did he not make mid 270's then somehow managed 290bhp with some kind of
halo ring to cool the fmic (NX-Chilled something or other)?

I could be way off with the halo ring, can't even check as his site is currently offline.

Remember though, Awesome record lower flywheel figures compared to most other dyno's.

Bearing this in mind its entirely possible that Hep's car could be
making 260bhp+ on an alternate RR, one thing to remember though is that
both RS Golfs and my K03s setup are within touching distance so not
really worth the outlay.

Another thing to note is that true K04 cars (LCR) were making anything
from 220ish to 240 at the wheels (remapped) so Hep's car isn't too far
off the mark.

Its just my thinking that a well mappedK03s with choice bolt-ons isn't that far off a K04 in performance terms.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Assume you're talking about Robdon with the Leon mapped by Star Performance?

Did he not make mid 270's then somehow managed 290bhp with some kind of halo ring to cool the fmic (NX-Chilled something or other)?
I could be way off with the halo ring, can't even check as his site is currently offline.

Remember though, Awesome record lower flywheel figures compared to most other dyno's.
Bearing this in mind its entirely possible that Hep's car could be making 260bhp+ on an alternate RR, one thing to remember though is that both RS Golfs and my K03s setup are within touching distance so not really worth the outlay.

Another thing to note is that true K04 cars (LCR) were making anything from 220ish to 240 at the wheels (remapped) so Hep's car isn't too far off the mark.
Its just my thinking that a well mappedK03s with choice bolt-ons isn't that far off a K04 in performance terms.
Quite right...I've been thinking the same thing....it just ain't worth the outlay getting just a few more bhp.

I reckon my car should be at least 210 whp now it's adapted since Awesome on just 97 fuel.

I am not interested in spending 3K on 10-20 hp gain

Ian

1 - 20 of 25 Posts