Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a different turbo to release some more power[:D]I was going to go for a KO3's, but have just read that a KO4 will produce a lot more power????

A company called star performance will supply and fit for ?1,100[?]

What do you lot rekon???

If i go for a KO3'S who can supply and fit??

Thanks

Nick b

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Dont believe the hype, there will be very little difference between a KO3s and a K04.

EddyH tried to overtake me in his old Mk4, a 254bhp dynod K04 (Jabba) and I started to slightly pull away from him (he had 1 more passenger though).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary,

I take it you have a KO3's then???

And looking at your mods you have an exhaust and revo? Anything else?

Nick b

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'll confirm what Gary said is true and we had pretty much the same setup other than turbo, software and gearbox.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Silly question, but what do your insurance companies say when you give them a list of modifications as long as that?!!

My insurance is maxed out with the Suspension, Spoiler, Alloys and Chip.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Remember that there are several types of K04 charger.

K04-001 (looks like the k03/k03s and is a straight swap but k03s is better)

K04-015 (logitudinal engines only as outlet points downwards)

K04-20 (fitted to audi TT/S3 and much bigger than k03/k03s/k04-001)

I'm pricing up a K04-20 swap at the mo. I will need to fit an audi TT/S3 exhaust manifold and get a custom downpipe made. I'll also probably need a FMIC.

Anyways, after a jabba remap I'll be looking at about 250-260BHP.

I't should be a basic swap for not a huge amount of money (depending on where I get the parts).

I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
811 Posts
HTC unless your gonna fit it all ya self be prepared to be VERY surprised to see the final bil for what is only about 20 more horses! IHI will be as cheap..... plus the software on a ko4-020/21/22/23 swap will not be as straight forward for jabba so it'll cost more than the ?475.

Hope you do get it mind...... i'd expect about 270 from that set up

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks for the input Tim. It is very pie in the sky at the mo. I still need to make a few phone calls. When I get the cost numbers in, it may well be easier to go for an IHI or Garrett GT28R.

BTW, I will indeed be fitting the kit myself.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yeah agree with Tim.... Even look at the EO5 charger if the IHI isn't to your taste but the TT charger route could be an expensive price/performance option...

·
Registered
5,080 Posts

I'm pricing up a K04-20 swap at the mo. I will need to fit an audi TT/S3 exhaust manifold and get a custom downpipe made. I'll also probably need a FMIC.

I't should be a basic swap for not a huge amount of money (depending on where I get the parts).

I'll keep ya posted.
Hi this is the route I'm close to inckuding the TT manifold / custom downpipe but I'm wondering if there would be a really big difference between sticking with KO3S or whatever is recommended and getting a custom re map, downpipe,sports cat etc..is there a lot of difference?? I'm not really looking for super gains, I just want to put some life back into my car and loose the Revo stage 1[:cool:]

I'll probably pick up all the parts off flea bay so if you guys have any ideas of prices perhaps you could price up how much you estimate this to cost- cheers

·
Registered
4,817 Posts

I'll keep ya posted.
Hi this is the route I'm close to inckuding the TT manifold / custom downpipe but I'm wondering if there would be a really big difference between sticking with KO3S or whatever is recommended and getting a custom re map, downpipe,sports cat etc..is there a lot of difference?? I'm not really looking for super gains, I just want to put some life back into my car and loose the Revo stage 1[:cool:]

I'll probably pick up all the parts off flea bay so if you guys have any ideas of prices perhaps you could price up how much you estimate this to cost- cheers
This is another subject that has been done to death..... On an AGU with the right mods and K03s you can easily get up to 260 BHP easy... IMO the K04 for the expense and time is a waste of money having had best of both worlds in the past there is about 5 BHP in it at most I'd say.... If someone is telling you there is a massive diffeernce then its not true and yes the K04 I am talking about is the TT/S3 one and not the hybrid thing.....

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
As in the other post the problem is an agu struggles to break 200bhp even with every bolt on as the turbo is SO small, a k03s is a noticeable difference (even n your current map)but custom mapped it will be even better a k04 will cost you 500 for hardware (one in classifieds at the moment) then you will probable want a pipewerx downpipe 350 ish fmic another 400 -1000 and then about 150 for all the gaskets and ancillaries you need (oil gaskets coolant)

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I'll go ko3s then and save myself some cash / time. As far as the downpipe / sports cat are milltek the best bet? cheers..cant decide on who to use for the remap yet..are there any that i should avoid! I may check out superchips??

·
Registered
436 Posts
Forget the Eliminator kit's.......they're not an easy DIY fit they're laggy and the ATP manifold is prone to problems with cracking. I've driven an Eliminator Garrett GT28 converted car and it was sooooooooo frustratingly laggy on the road......nothing 2000rpm nothing 2500rpm nothing 3000rpm then 3500 spool...that's how they are.Awesome has stopped doing them because of issues...speak with them and see what they think of them!

K03s with a DP sports CAT FMIC..(.not side mount..waste of money) larger TIP turbo inlet pipe will see approx 220-230 bhp on a custom map.

Spending a shed load on a KO4 and manifold mapping FMIC DP and CAT will see 240-250 at the Crank and not wheels.

People on here do tweek their maps for RR days to claim top dog honours using Lemminwinks or similar software but you have got to have a good knowledge on what your altering.

I would budget ?2k + for a good K03s set up and over ?3k for KO4 unless you DIY and source it off flea bay.

I ran a KO3S using a Neuspeed FMIC Milltek DP sports CAT larger TIP and APR Stage 2 custom map which realised 227bhp and 262lbs

I now run APR Stage 3+ kit............worth every penny

Ian

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Cheers ian- that's roughly how much i have budgeted- hopefully less [:O] though only through ebay bargains! So are the SMIC really a waste of money? I thought the Forge one's were supposed to be pretty good? Ive got an R32 front bumper and don't want the pipes sticking through the lower air intakes..

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a k04 hybrid for sale if anyone is after one , its a direct fit for a k03 manifold , its a k04 hybrid inside a machined out k03 housing , it will mate up with your standard downpipe as well

·
Registered
777 Posts
How much do second hand Ko3s's go for? As i will have a spare from my anni but not sure whether it is worth keeping it as a spare or selling it off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts