Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking about buying a k03s for my agu its already been mapped buy chipped uk and the usual filter and exhaust just woundering if i will notice any difference as i have been offered one off a cupra 180 leon for 125 with all the bits from a breakers

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
you will notice a differance but nothing major you will feal it driving slightly differant not sure how to explain as i never went this route in the end im going for a JBS big turbo. but you will need the larger turbo intake pipe (i think) also a differant remap maybe stage 2?

HTH

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
i had this all planned even had the KO3S waiting for me but i was told you would be looky to see 230bhp not sure though i might be wrong.i also wanted more power i wanted to feel the turbo kick me more so thats why i chose a bigger turbo option. i went in a golf with a remapped ko3s and they are a lot quicker and well worth it if you can get a cheap ko3s.

·
Registered
478 Posts
230hp is not to be sniffed at mind, 300hp would be nice but then your getting into power which needs more mods to make full use of it anyway, like an lsd etc, depends how far your willing to go.

Have seen a K03s get 239hp in some cases, obviously taking into account rolling road error i would think 230hp would be a reasonable estimate, whilst retaining stock turbo looks, fitment and low rev power, a bigger turbo may get a higher hp figure on the rollers but in the real world that does not always make it the faster car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i,ve looked into this extensively too and i,m now in the position of trying to decide wether or not it will give significant grin factor for long enough, i know it will give 220 maybe 230 on a good day using K03s, thing is will it be enough, for long enough?

i,m now looking at the options available to see gains of 300 bhp +

i am also considering the obvious as stated above by some one, with the increase in power comes the increase in cost, not only on the obvious bits but also the less obvious, as the saying goes, speed costs!

the standard agu with its larger port head and stronger internals makes itself too readily available for just over 300 no probs it just seems like a shame to not maximise on that potential, that said using a K03s lends itself quite well to increasing bhp whilst putting marginal reliability if any on stock parts, there i go again i,ve just talked myself back into it..........

let me know your decisions, i,ve not found a ko3s........if i got my finger out maybe that would be the deciding factor..........

·
Registered
478 Posts
Its a tricky one i know, but think of it this way, a K03s is an inexpensive stepping stone if you do happen to find its not enough power for you.

All i know is i went to the Nurburging with a group of friends and one had a Mk4 1.8t, it couldnt of been running much more than 200hp on standard K03 and could easily keep up with everyone if not beat them, including a bmw m3 and a 280hp r32, and lots of porsches, he had sorted his suspension and it handled very well, its not all about power, you need some power and a standard 150hp is not enough for the mk4 golf, maybe 230hp might just cut it, with a properly setup car, if not move on for bigger things.

350hp without some assistance is going to be very difficult to use anyway i would imagine, all depends how much cash your willing to spend.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Its a tricky one i know, but think of it this way, a K03s is an inexpensive stepping stone if you do happen to find its not enough power for you.

All i know is i went to the Nurburging with a group of friends and one had a Mk4 1.8t, it couldnt of been running much more than 200hp on standard K03 and could easily keep up with everyone if not beat them, including a bmw m3 and a 280hp r32, and lots of porsches, he had sorted his suspension and it handled very well, its not all about power, you need some power and a standard 150hp is not enough for the mk4 golf, maybe 230hp might just cut it, with a properly setup car, if not move on for bigger things.

350hp without some assistance is going to be very difficult to use anyway i would imagine, all depends how much cash your willing to spend.
Wise words indeed..... 350 hp is all well & good, but you need to be able to get the power down!

If you haven't already, I'd sort the ARB's out & the 312mm brake conversion next, to make the most out of the power - No good being quick in a straight line, only to get embarrassed in the bends!

Then maybe go for the KO3-S???

Mmmmm, another 30 odd bhp does get the old pulse racing, though. [:D]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agreed, 350bhp is too much realistically for a fwd car, i,ve recently got rid of a mk2 with 360bhp BAM S3 engine with IHI Turbo, big brakes, proper suspension with rated springs to each corner of the car, quaiffe box, arbs, see avatar,

it was quick, and saw fastest mk2 @ gti international a couple of years ago, i even have the trophy,

The only thing thats putting me off going for big power now is lack of traction, i considered 4wd from rallye or syncro when setting about the mk2 and couldnt resist the temptation to do it so it went in my mk2, plus the fact i get attached to my cars, if i had waited for a suitable syncro set up i would more than likely still have the thing now, it didnt want to know in the wet and would spin the wheels climbing the slightest incline in most gears, straight lines would torque steer for england, i even had the track widened at the front as opposed to rear wheel drive cars having wider rears,

So as above your'e right!!, hit the nail on the head really with the ring thing, sort out the handling and early to mid 200s will be enough, spend good money on the best suspension and braking components you can and the couple of grand you save by not going huge, terat yourself to some tuition and some track sessions then go play, that is presuming you aren,t the stig & if you are then whats your real name????????

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the ko3s is 125 from breakers and i will be taking of my self so i will be takeing the lot intake pipes etc but i was also considering a ko4 but not sure on how much it going to cost

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
do a search on both turbos mate and ill think you stick with the KO3S. the thework involved in the 04 its not worth as the power gain isnt much differance...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With the right mods a ko3s on a agu can easily make 250bhp

mine is now running 255bhp with the additional mods

engine;

custom re-map

modified intercooler pipes

thicker inlet gasket

corrado vr6 maf

4 bar fuel preasure reg

3inch down pipe de-cat

full miltek system

forge dv valve

forge turbo intake hose

cold air induction filter mounted at the bottom of the bumper

cnc light weight pulleys

lighted and balanced flywheel

runs 14.5 1/4 miles

chassis;

audi tt 312mm brakes and rears

fk konig sports coilovers

front and rear strut brace

front and rear eibch anti roll bar

powerflex bushes all round

it stops it corners its bloody quick!!!!! iv got good year eagle f1 tyres and it still spins up

COMING SOON

Posted Image

Posted Image

watch this speace, should be good for 350bhp!!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sounds like an ideal setup mate, K03s really seems the way to go if you fancy good performance without trying to break any records, 250hp coupled with some choice suspension mods etc like yours would make it a very quick and all round capable car.

Sounds ideal to me, the plan is set, k03s for me then.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
if your interested mate ill have a k03s up for sale soon! as i am going to install a GT28 eliminator to the golf. i made around 234bhp or so from it. it pulls very hard and is in great nick, never had a prob with it. also ill have the inlet you will need. but if i where you i would just order the gt2x eliminator instead of going k03s it will cost around £820 inc p+p from the USA then a remap. i think just that on its own keeping the standard IC, mani, DP etc around 260 - 280 or so. and you then have the options for the extra bolt ons in the future. else you can just go the k03s route for around 150 - 200 i guess (not sure how much they go for yet so havnt put a price on mine). then you will need a remap. you should gain 30 - 40bhp from this setup.

·
Registered
720 Posts
the ko3s is 125 from breakers and i will be taking of my self so i will be takeing the lot intake pipes etc but i was also considering a ko4 but not sure on how much it going to cost
Depends how much you want to spend... I'm going down this route at the moment. KO4 turbo and manifold with the water and oil pipes £500, bigger injectors £100. Total cost for this to be fitted and mapped with a full turbo back exhaust looking at £1600. Its being done at PSI tuning, Andy has a corrado in there with near enough exactly the same spec and this rr at 292bhp. When I get mine back I will let you know what it produces.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just fitted the ko3s yesterday so today was the first proper day of running i had to get a manifold to head gasket the turbo to manifold and down pipe gasket it seamed a bit fiddly to do as been at back of engine bu got sorted it seams a bit sluggish at the min ecu might be ajusting to the boost increase so now i am running ko3s 4 bar pressure reg jabba air filter and cat back exhaust also bought a new maf any body know what power i am looking at as i have not got a clue but it pulls very hard now and it pulls all the way round to red line

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
nice good on ya for doing it all yourself! you should be pushing arund 230 - 240 i would say. how much did it cost ya in total then? also how is it running at them moment still on ko3 software? its no big jump in turbo but maybe it could run a bit better if the tuner could tweek it a bit? you can prob run a bit more boost etc?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts