Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as ATP have just announced that the GTRS and GT2X Turbo Kits for the transverse engine are hopefully going to be available in areound 2 weeks, will any of you guys on here be thinking of doing this?!? I no the thought is constantly being reprocessed in my head!

They are looking at any performance between 250 - 400bhp! They will both out spool and out flow the KO4 so we should see some quick times. The 0-60 (providing you can get the power down) is an ET of 4.9seconds (high octane run)

ATP Audi A4 Quattro is enjoying the upgrade and is running 13.2 1/4mile and beats an E36 M3 hands down, and its on stock exhaust and I/C.

Just wondering again if there was anyone on here or anywhere that will be thinking of opting for this upgrade.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm definitely consdering it in the future, not sure when exactly, it's just a case of money though! [:'(]

First of all, i think only the 300BHP version is recommended for the MK4 when using the standard internals! But AFAIK the 1.8T lump can handle twice the power it currently uses, but start pushing for the 350BHP mark and i'd be getting a little worried as to continued reliability...

400BHP would need a lot stronger internals to cope with the jump!

Plus, it's not a good idea to upgrade the turbo to a big BHP one without adding a FMIC and decent exhaust setup aswell, so more expense there aswell, it's not cheap this tuning lark! [:(]

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Also, remember that the ATP kits are designed for LHD vehicles so may require extensive mods to any kit supplied...

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm sure that people from the UK have been in constant contact with ATP during their development of the Eliminator series of turbo kits and if I remember correctly they have been developed to fit onto RHD as well.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Also, remember that the ATP kits are designed for LHD vehicles so may require extensive mods to any kit supplied...
Won't matter i believe, the elimator uses a specifically cast exhaust housing so it bolts up to the stock manifold.

From what i've read the software at least is weak. Power figures with it (excluding atp's own...) seem down on what they should be. To be honest i don't think it'd cost much less for a proper kit with a good manifold.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Im now convinced the best route is a IHI turbo with manifold and tune it 'lightly' to 300bhp whilst on stock internals.

The option is always there to change the map/internals in the future for more power.

I'm a big believer in never being happy with what power you do have!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
What is the cost of a lightly tuned to 300bhp IHI conversion?

And then what is the cost of a GT2X kit from ATP and CC stage 3?

I'd just pick the cheaper one to be honest.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Im now convinced the best route is a IHI turbo with manifold and tune it 'lightly' to 300bhp whilst on stock internals.
The option is always there to change the map/internals in the future for more power.
I'm a big believer in never being happy with what power you do have!!
Your of the same opinion as me Gary.

The IHI kit isn't as expensive as made out when you get alot of the parts elsewhere cheaper.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'll be looking into the ATP option.. credit card is quivering in the corner of my wallet as we speak! I've spoken via email to ATP a while ago and they have said it will fit RHD cars as it fits the stock location and manifold.. with the pound strong against the dollar its considerably cheaper than the IHI set up! 500 pounds for the manifold alone 900 ish for the charger, DP adapter... shag to fit yourself.... I'm sure also that UK tuners will map them if asked... you can also run it on the standard IC! the reason it suffers with a standard setup is the inefficent charger...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'll be looking into the ATP option.. credit card is quivering in the corner of my wallet as we speak! I've spoken via email to ATP a while ago and they have said it will fit RHD cars as it fits the stock location and manifold.. with the pound strong against the dollar its considerably cheaper than the IHI set up! 500 pounds for the manifold alone 900 ish for the charger, DP adapter... shag to fit yourself.... I'm sure also that UK tuners will map them if asked... you can also run it on the standard IC! the reason it suffers with a standard setup is the inefficent charger...
It really isn't considerably cheaper. All your saving on is a few lines and the manifold plus the cost of modifying your downpipe.

They both require the same add-ons, fuel pump upgrade, ecu software, injectors, larger maf housing and other bits i'll have forgotton.

You'll pay ?500 for the manifold and maybe ?250 for the downpipe work and lines, I dunno about the rest of you but i'd rather not strangle my system for the sake of less than a grand. You won't save much on fitting either as the turbo will already be removed so swapping out the manifold won't be as much hassle.

Everyone has different opinions on it but mine is the IHI conversion is worth the extra premium for sure.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Cant really see how it strangling the system.... power wise its capable of going beond the IHI?!? I'm just going to go for the bolt-on swap for KO3 setup...1200$ for the kit approx,  a set of injectors and a 4bar FPR and larger TIP not big money at all... I'll ask Mike at Jabba to map it.... should easliy get into the 280+hp club...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Cant really see how it strangling the system.... power wise its capable of going beond the IHI?!? I'm just going to go for the bolt-on swap for KO3 setup...1200$ for the kit approx, a set of injectors and a 4bar FPR and larger TIP not big money at all... I'll ask Mike at Jabba to map it.... should easliy get into the 280+hp club...
I meant the stock manifold strangling it if you've ever seen it up close, i can't see it coping well. If you can get the turbo here for under a grand i'll be very surprised. Remember to add a maf tube into your bolt on's or you will max out the airflow. Bear in mind unless you get the gt2 kit it is not a roller bearing turbo and won't spool up quickly. Not to mention how much people snap rods on the GT series of turbo's...

The info i've seen on it so far not supplied from ATP is dissapointing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where do all you guys get your IHI conversion info and things from? I can never seem to find any pages or companys that will do it or supply the info.

Im starting to sway towards the IHI because it will give me suitable power and i have heard very good testimonials.

So where is all the IHI info from and who does the conversion?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Where do all you guys get your IHI conversion info and things from? I can never seem to find any pages or companys that will do it or supply the info.

Im starting to sway towards the IHI because it will give me suitable power and i have heard very good testimonials.

So where is all the IHI info from and who does the conversion?
Jabbasport are the people to talk to regarding the IHI conversion.... its pretty much their baby... call and ask for Mike.. JBS also do it amongst other conversions with the Garrett GT range... these offer more power but require internal changes to.

·
Registered
680 Posts
but how on earth is the stock exhaust manifold espected to flow enough for BT power figures?

what are you hoping for power wise...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Jabbasport are the people to talk to regarding the IHI conversion.... its pretty much their baby... call and ask for Mike.. JBS also do it amongst other conversions with the Garrett GT range... these offer more power but require internal changes to.
So is the IHI a straight bolt on kit with no need for changing the internals then? [:$]

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
You don't need uprated internals with any big turbo if you run low boost (1.2 bar or bellow).

But what is the point of running a big turbo, and not turning the boost up?

For the record though, the GT28RS will make no more power than the IHI vf 34 20 housing. It shifts no more than 5% more air than the IHI, and you'll have to run 23PSI at 7000 rpm to make use of the extra flow. No way will it make 400hp. 350max

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
So how much would we be talking for a complete IHI kit with uprated internals to be pushing upwards of 300bhp? [:$]

·
Registered
447 Posts
Erm... the JBS GT28RS made 440bhp?

And I'm pretty sure there are plenty of USA 1.8T's with disco potato that run 350+ at wheels... so whats that at fly? 400 surely.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts