Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problem with the top mounts which sit between the shocker and the suspension turret (I've been told there like a bearing), so far I have changd wishbones (including ball joints), drop links and the anti-roll bar bushes to both sides of the car and I still have a distinct knocking sound when going over rough ground/roads etc (I have checked and rechecked all bolts and mounts I messed with). The shockers bounce back properly and are not leaking, these bearings are the only other item I can think to replace?

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I replaced the front shock top mounts and bearings on mine as a matter of course rather than having a specific problem with them. I believe they tend to cause more of a sticking problem when turning lock to lock rather than a knocking.

If you have already tried the antiroll bar drop links along with other bits I suggest doing a search on here for knocking noises which may well point you towards loose front subframe bolts if my memory serves me right.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Has anyone had problem with the top mounts which sit between the shocker and the suspension turret (I've been told there like a bearing), so far I have changd wishbones (including ball joints), drop links and the anti-roll bar bushes to both sides of the car and I still have a distinct knocking sound when going over rough ground/roads etc (I have checked and rechecked all bolts and mounts I messed with). The shockers bounce back properly and are not leaking, these bearings are the only other item I can think to replace?
changed everything on the front of mine except the top mounts, but when i fitted the coilovers and the top mouunts the knocking went.

Another thing it could be is the exhaust middle hangers could of broken and exhaust sits on the exhaust cradle which bolts to the floor under the the front seats ,

just a thought for you .

regards Danny G

[au]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts