Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I was having pretty bad knocking noise from the front of the car going over even the smallest bumps.
After reading on here i decided to look at replacing the ARB bushes. I did this, and the noise was a bit better, but still there!

The strut top mounts needed replacing, and i've done both of them today.

There is nowhere near as much knocking as there used to be, but it still makes noise going over bumps!

I've noticed there's quite a bit of engine movement at the gearbox end, but i don't know if this would cause the noise.

The parts i'm considering replacing next are:

Gearbox mount, and dogbone engine mount,

Wishbones, complete with bushes and ball joints.

Just asking for ideas as to what it could be, as i don't want to be spending money i don't have to be spending!

There is no obvious movement in the front suspension, but i'm not a mechanic so i don't really know [:(]

Thanks in advance.

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts
I would guess at wishbone bushes. I have the same problem at the moment.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you checked the drop links?
I didn't they were obviously gone when i did the arb bushes, but i could be wrong, as they do look pretty old.

I guess for the 15 quid they'll cost me, i might as well get them changed.

I would guess at wishbone bushes. I have the same problem at the moment.
Probably worth doing aswell, only 40 quid for a set of wishbones with balljoints. That pretty much covers the suspension really doesn't it?

I was worrying about driveshafts but i'm not sure if they'd make this kind of noise.

What about worn engine mounts? Could this cause knocking? I was thinking maybe it could be the exhaust on the body or something.
Could easily spend 100 quid on these parts though.. and all for a knocking noise that radio 2 would probably drown out with ease [:p]

I'm sorry for my lack of technical knowledge, my last car was a saxo that i knew inside out.. and it was so much more simple than this car, i really don't know where to start with a lot of things [:)]

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll second that, just had both mine replaced with aftermarket ones and it's tightened up the front end and got rid of the knocks, it's the rearmost flat bush with the voids that tends to fail, mine actually fell out when the arm was renoved !

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll second that, just had both mine replaced with aftermarket ones and it's tightened up the front end and got rid of the knocks, it's the rearmost flat bush with the voids that tends to fail, mine actually fell out when the arm was renoved !
How easy is it to fit aftermarket ones?

I fitted some powerflex bushes to my saxo.. and in hindsight i'd probably just buy complete wishbones. 2 hours with a blowtorch and a hammer weren't fun!

I'd quite like to keep the ride standard ish, but i never really noticed the bushes making the ride any more uncomfortable. I was in a saxo though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts