Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I drive a Golf 1.9 GTTDI 2003 model.

I only have 1 key fob/remote, which was working fine until suddenly it stopped working. Obviously I can still get into the car and drive it using the key blade but I am not able to remote lock or unlock the car. I tried changing the battery inside the fob a few times but this didn't work. I also tried to reprogram the fob using the method in this YouTube video to no avail:

I rang a few auto locksmiths who quoted me around £100 for a new key fob/remote

Any suggestions for a DIY fix or should I fork out for the auto locksmith?

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You can get a second hand key with an identical part number and pair that to your car. The electronic fob part will work, the top half with blade and immo chip won't.

Alternatively, you can get a brand new key from AliExpress or eBay for under a tenner and do the same. You'd also have a new immo chip and blade if you wanted to get the blade cut and immo chip paired in the future.

I think programming the immo chip can be done as a DIY, but if not, Skoda dealers charge about £50 for programming the chip. Key cutters charge under a tenner to cut the blade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your helpful reply. In that case, considering it will only cost me around 20-30 quid more to get the auto locksmith to do it I'll probably go with them.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You'd need the skc (4 digit 'PIN' number) in order to program an immobiliser chip.

Then VCDS software (on a laptop) and a cable..

Step by step instructions are easy to find, or one of the splendid chaps on here would guide you I'm sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops I don't know the Pin code... Checked my documents and nothing .. is there a way to find this out somehow?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Oops I don't know the Pin code... Checked my documents and nothing .. is there a way to find this out somehow?
I used a KKL cable and software called eeprom to read the code from the clocks.
Cable can be bought off ebay for a fiver, the software is available free.
I always find the hardest part is finding the right drivers for the cables.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
or use vag k + can commander (version 2.5 or higher) with the vagcom/vcds cable as it utilises the same driver as the vagcom/vcds cables... saves you from having to mess about if you already have a working vcds or vagcom setup just means you need to find the software (it's available for free on the web)

it allows you to add keys and read the security code without the need to use vcds to remove the old key settings (that is if all the memory spaces for keys are taken). it's one of the easier to use software packages for adding keys, cluster swaps, reading the security code.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
or use vag k + can commander (version 2.5 or higher) with the vagcom/vcds cable as it utilises the same driver as the vagcom/vcds cables... saves you from having to mess about if you already have a working vcds or vagcom setup just means you need to find the software (it's available for free on the web)

it allows you to add keys and read the security code without the need to use vcds to remove the old key settings (that is if all the memory spaces for keys are taken). it's one of the easier to use software packages for adding keys, cluster swaps, reading the security code.
Hang on a minute.....
So I can just add keys using commander and not 'unlearn' the existing key?

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Hang on a minute.....
So I can just add keys using commander and not 'unlearn' the existing key?
You can granted not all the spaces are filled... usually there are 2 free as the vallet key is without immo pil.
But if someone already added a new key ot leaves 1 space and if they didn't do it right all the spaces will be full. Simple to fix though. The first position will not be overwritten unless you select that option..

K + Can Commander is quite a sweet and easy to use program. It is one of my favourites to use for adding keys and cluster work.... the onlything i don't like is how long it takes to show the security code. Other than that it beats most other programs in it's simplicity of the interface.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You can granted not all the spaces are filled... usually there are 2 free as the vallet key is without immo pil.
But if someone already added a new key ot leaves 1 space and if they didn't do it right all the spaces will be full. Simple to fix though. The first position will not be overwritten unless you select that option..

K + Can Commander is quite a sweet and easy to use program. It is one of my favourites to use for adding keys and cluster work.... the onlything i don't like is how long it takes to show the security code. Other than that it beats most other programs in it's simplicity of the interface.
Why the eff did I not run with that then!!!!
I'm having the immobiliser switched off soon so that's not an issue (even though I bought new keys with the chip)..

Got a spare set of clocks now too..

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Why the eff did I not run with that then!!!!
I'm having the immobiliser switched off soon so that's not an issue (even though I bought new keys with the chip)..

Got a spare set of clocks now too..
'cause you didn't ask... let me say it this way... find the software and give it a test run if you can't get along with it let me know, but it couldn't be any easier...actually all versions are that easy version 1.4 for instance is what i started with and it did it all it just takes it's time to actually read the clusters.. but changing codes etc is instant you click it set it and it is done... it also allows you to save the original settings so you can always restore if you save the lot first.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
i actually would go for the oldest one, it works without any problems, the rest might want a crack or serial number.. so 2.5 (use this as i know it to work) is what i would go for and yes that is the cable

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update, so I've ordered the cable and key fob and downloaded Vag k+ cam commander 2.5

Do I need to download VCDS also? If so which version?

Also, can anyone direct me to step by step instructions online for finding the pin code and adding keys?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
you don't need a manual with Vag K + Can as the software is self explanatory here is a video...

( start it up after you've installed the vcds cable drivers and made sure that the cable works with VCDS, select the right IRQ the cable is using and off you go). the VCDS version that will work with your cable is either 4.09 or earlier vagcom 3.XX , there is a rosstech wiki that explains every step on how to get to the key memory spaces and how to do it... it's step by step so follow it to the letter...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts