Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so you kerbed your alloy, sucks doesn?t it!

Well that?s what I did to mine, and quite badly too. Its worth checking that you have not buckled the wheel first because then I assume it is not worth the effort to repair. However if it was like this (and I DID bump the kerb fairly hard) you may be able to repair it fine yourself:

Posted Image

As you can see there is fairly extensive damage a 1/3rd of the way around the wheel; most of which is grazed into the wheel!

It is important to try to repair it as quick as you can because it will only collect dirt and grime and make it harder to clean.

You will need to take some time to do this, my repair took most of a Saturday amongst doing other things, there is lots of waiting around.

Steps:

1. Firstly you need to remove the wheel from the car, take your time and put the spare one on if you have one!

2. Remove the tyre if you can, I could not so I left it on!

3. Clean the wheel. Its very important that you take your time cleaning it. Otherwise the paint will not bind and it will look terrible. I used MC2 then normal shampoo along with rubbing it with claybar. Then I dried it fully?.. REMEMBER TO CLEAN THE INSIDE OF THE WHEEL TOO!

4. Using a Dremmel or similar too I grinded down the edges of the kerbed areas.

5. I then wet and dried the area going down in grades slowly. Use tape to shield the areas you DON?T want to sand, because its easy to slip.

6. You are now left with a smooth edge now but I expect you will have some pits as I did. You now get some P38 or similar and apply it to the areas that are not level to build it up. This stuff is very easy to sand down so don?t worry on it being perfect and you only need a VERY small amount.

7. Allow the P38 time to dry; I waited 45 mins for this.

8. Sand down the P38, going down in grades again, be careful it wears down very quickly. You should be left with a perfect edge again.

9. Now you need to cover the tyre (if applicable) with a plastic bag, use insulating tape under the rim and then with more tape attach the plastic bag.

10. Use some light grey primer on the effected area, only use a very small amount, test it out on

some wood or something before hand so you get the technique sorted, be careful not to get overspray on the rest of the wheel. Leave to dry for around 30 mins.

11. Then spray the area with the ?VW Chrome paint? you need at least 2-3 coats of this, remembering to cover the tyre because this gets EVERYWHERE. Don?t touch the paint even if you have sprayed too much, just leave it and allow to dry. Leave around 30 mins between coats. I finally left it to dry for around 2-3 hours.

The paint (part number is on there if you look hard):

Posted Image

12.I then used the claybar all over the whole wheel to remove overspray and merge the paint in. You must do this when the paint is fully dry. I used to hair dryer to speed the process up [;)]

13. Then use the lacquer, test the spraying motion again and apply 5-6 layers just in the area needed. Leave around 20 mins per layer. I think I only did 4. Remember to cover the tyre again!

14. I left the wheel over night to dry. Then in the morning I claybar?d the wheel again and got rid of any remaining overspray.

15. I waxed the wheel with 2 coats of Clearkote for good measure.

16. Put the wheel back on.

17. Stand back and say ?no way am I kerbing that again?

Here is the collection of things I used:

Posted Image

Any questions let me know! ? oh yeah, here is the result [?]

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS. I found this VW paint a perfect match for the Monty 2 alloys, I assume this is used on most other OEM VAG wheels also.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just refirbished the wifes vw wheels using this how to...

That paint is a perfect vw wheel silver match!

Cheers oxford.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Do you have the VW part # for the "chrome" paint or do I just ask for it by name ? I have a few stone nicks I'd like to touch up on mine. [:)]

BTW, Good how too [8D]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The paint number or part no is #L009 104 That "should" get you what you need! - if not, print out that pic and they should be able to tell.

Good luck mate, have fun! [:)]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had forgotten that I had even wrote this ! LOL

Anyway, just so you all know the wheel is still fine, the paint looks very durable.

Sonny, I am not 100% sure the colour match is the same for the RS4 but it may well be! worth a try anyway.

Did not have to get the wheel rebalanced, was fine as it. Infact that tyre and wheel are still running A OK.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Thats fantastic mate, could save us all a few quid, as we all get careless, sooner or later !!!

One question though, what is Claybar ??? DOH !!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
didnt read it all - but any tips for fixing kurb arkings on diamond cut or highly polished alloys (hopefully i wont kerb them to find out)

·
Registered
68 Posts
brilliant how to mate! i'm no stranger to refurbing wheels but the colour code is a great help! gonna get some in 2-pack and gun it on my ?40 tt's! thanks mate!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to see this is still being used! Hope you have all had good results.

That car was sold at the weekend, the new owner did not pass any comment on that wheel and I did the repair over a year ago now - so I would say that worked out pretty well!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just tried phoning my local VW dealer to see if can order the paint, and gave him part number L009 104 and he said nothing coming up.

Is there any other numbers I need ?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 44 Posts