Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls

This morning while driving to work my mobile kept ringing, infuriated by this I reached for my bag to switch it off. However while doing so I veered into the kerb. Yes, totally my fault and I know I was stupid to do such a thing. Kerbs are there for a reason; to protect pedestrians so no one was injured.

Here is the damage : *shudders*

Posted Image

I have not kerbed any other wheel in the past and kept them in A1 condition *other than a tyre fitter messing one up slightly* so as you can imagine I am very unhappy.

Bearing in mind I will be selling the car in 6 months or so, what are my options and likley costs?

As far as I know these are my ideas:

1. Sand the offending area and primer and use the reflex touch up paint that I have (kindly donated by rally chris last year)

2. Get the wheel professionally refurbed.

3. Remove all wheels and have them all resprayed in a slightly darker shade of silver - rather like Gary Ms

4. Sell them and slam on some RS4s, BBS RC or similar.

Need your advice guys!

I do need 2 new rear tyres soon so they have to be exposed at some stage.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not got a spare Monty I am afraid.... [:(] Perhaps I could look for one at a breakers yard? Then I would have a spare - all be it a kerbed spare!

The problem with the refurbing could be that the finish is different to the others?

Anyone know of any referbishers around the Cambs area?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ouch, sorry to see that mate.

Depends how confident you feel about refurbing yourself. For a scrape this long I would get a Dremel and work down with a fine sander; if you have a keen eye and steady hand (just like me [;)]) I predict the results will be good. I did mine by hand and the scrape was barely 2 inches long along the rim and it easily took over an hour with fine emery paper, finishing off with lacquer and polish. I never notice it now while washing the wheels.

You will end up paying ?30 odd for a Dremel tool which you can use time and again for those future wheel scrapes!

Of course if you are a busy man, get it refurbed. I know what I would do!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello mate!

Just like you I like a bit of DIY! So (you knew this anyway) I will be repairing it myself.

I have a friend with a dremmel so will borrow theirs!!! [:)] Like that idea.

I have found the paint number I need for the wheel and have a touch up version with some left. Will get some laquer too!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Good idea and good luck! All you are doing is what the refurber would do and you have the luxury of taking your time. Should be a piece of wee-wee!

So what car are you getting in 6 months time? Come on spill the beans... joining the dark side I bet [;)]

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Ouch. Bet you never reach for the phone again, so lesson learned I s'pose! ;-)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Indeed [;)] painful lesson, supprised I had not done it before - been driving for near 7 years.

My GF is ill with the flu at the moment which puts me on edge a bit - perhaps thats why I went for it [:(]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So on Saturday I spent pretty much all day sanding, spraying, filling and claybarring the wheel. This is the result:

Posted Image

I am pretty happy with it really, although there are some lines where I taped around the area when I base coated it, bit of a mistake because it left a line, however I can live with it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It really is not that hard!

I can give you instructions if you like? - if your keeping the wheels and not getting 18" :)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'll type up instructions tonight :) had a few PMs about this...

Will be later though, about 10ish

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will do mate!

Shame I did not take pics during, but I will take some pics of the products I used.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Nice job Dave! Only used P38 (whatever it's called) once and never thought about using it on rims.

As for the line left behind after removing the masking tape, some rubbing compound would have blended that nicely with the original wheel base colour. Still, I bet you cannot notice it from a short distance.

Pukka!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts