Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - seeing as I got a bit bored of having little to do on the car these days - and after seeing Aric's lovely new Golf at close-quarters recently, I decided that the "chrome" trim inside the car had to go........

The first parts to replace are the door triggers.......I have two here, ready to fit and two more on order at the dealer right now.

The other bits - and quite minor really, are the handrake button and glovebox handle.

I thought both jobs would be a sinch - however - the handbrake cover on my car was glued onto the metal - so its involved the replacement of the whole handbrake assembly.

The handbrake sleeve is different too - the later ones are half-leather and chunkier.

Here's some pics.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To replace the door triggers i've got to de-trim the doors completely - removing the handles and then the cards to gain access.

More to follow soon...........

·
Registered
442 Posts
Haha...

lucky you don't get to see my car in daylight offen.. usually in the dark.. else you might find more little things you want on yours!! [:D]

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is that one of those new Lithium battery screwdrivers? whats it like torwue to speed wise?
I got one free with my Bosch Cordless drill, very impressive for such a little thing! Managed to get a toy one that's nearly identical for my 3 year old for Christmas, so she'll be following me around whenever I am using it now!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Andymac - the Bosch IXO is very very useful - enough torque to undo and do-up the small / medium sized screws - it gives you ability to undo screws you'd otherwise struggle to get at........ especially after adding the flexible drive out my other toolbox.

@Reflex - ta m8 -knew you'd like this !

@Glowplug - nah mate - I have a GPS antenna arriving any day for the roof - same as earlier / later spec.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey foxy, got any ref. on those items?

EDIT: I sent you an email from a spanish group buy of GTI steering wheel, u just ignored?? Well anyways I ask u here if u could sell at least one of those with shipping to spain

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the front handles done - proper faff as the finger plates are very firmly clipped into the door cards.....once they are out it's 5 min job per side to swap the trigger........

(click images to enlarge)

]Posted Image

In addition to the previously planned items - I have also now swapped the "GTi " steering wheel emblem for the "~R" version.....

Posted Image

Furthermore - I was so struck with the new DVD version of the MFD2 satnav, that I have now replaced the CD version with one......

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also acquired an OEM roof GPS "shark fin" antenna which i'm about to install onto the roof.
This required an extension aerial cable which was 4m long and just ?15 from the dealer.

Posted Image

More pics of this install to follow soon!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks good, Very Posh inside now :D

Did you sell your old Double din?

I like what you have done with the steering wheel.

I have finally got an Armrest :D i just cant bring myself to spend ?110 on a Gearknob :(

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
*Faster
*Better features
*Easier to use
*Split screen ability
*all of europe on one disc
*Better audio

The downer is that even though the unit has TMC, in the UK, VW don't subscribe to the service so it doesn't work......how crap is that?

The CD version worked perfectly with TMC disc!

·
Registered
442 Posts
The downer is that even though the unit has TMC, in the UK, VW don't subscribe to the service so it doesn't work......how crap is that?

Looking good!! I guess you managed to drill the hole and fitting the fish ok then.?
Yes, it does seems strange that VW UK haven't subscribed to this services. Saying that, our car only able to recieve TMC info, and not send back, so, the only thing i could think of for not being able to use TMC on the unit, is our disc doesn't have the TMC coding in the first place?

As for the TMC on the CD version of the MDF2; When i mention that to vw customer service about my TMC not working but it used to work on the CD version, that person from customer services told me as far as they know, the CD version also doesn't work with TMC in UK !!!!
And I know for sure i have seen many MFD2 CD unit with TMC working!!! So i dont' know what they on about... May be we need to hunt for a DVD Map disc with UK TMC codes to solve the problem? May be their next version release of the disc will work with TMC?

PS:, don't forget the strap.. [;)]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Its looking really good Foxy. Am thinking about the DVD Sat Nav myself.

Do you have the part no's for the Shark Fin and Shark Fin Cable ? Is the S Fin Part No: 1K0 035 507 A by chance ?

JD

·
Registered
471 Posts

Looking good!! I guess you managed to drill the hole and fitting the fish ok then.?
Yes, it does seems strange that VW UK haven't subscribed to this services. Saying that, our car only able to recieve TMC info, and not send back, so, the only thing i could think of for not being able to use TMC on the unit, is our disc doesn't have the TMC coding in the first place?

As for the TMC on the CD version of the MDF2; When i mention that to vw customer service about my TMC not working but it used to work on the CD version, that person from customer services told me as far as they know, the CD version also doesn't work with TMC in UK !!!!
And I know for sure i have seen many MFD2 CD unit with TMC working!!! So i dont' know what they on about... May be we need to hunt for a DVD Map disc with UK TMC codes to solve the problem? May be their next version release of the disc will work with TMC?

PS:, don't forget the strap.. [;)]
TMC doesn't work on my car (it's an extremely early GTI, CD MFD2) in the UK; it does work in the EU however.
I've considered getting the DVD version, but I already own CDs for the UK, France, and Germany... and I'm quite happy with the sound on the CD version, so I think I'll leave it be for the time being. I notice that there's no AUX option on the DVD MFD unit; is there no provision for a television or other auxiallary unit?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I notice that there's no AUX option on the DVD MFD unit; is there no provision for a television or other auxiallary unit?
Yes, the connectors for Aux still there at the back, just that they now moved the button under the CD Menu, below CD6 button (4th down on the right.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts