Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title implies, I am fitting a K04-023 from an S3 along with the Manifold, Injectors, DV, Airbox, S3 ,MAF, TIP, a 3" custom DP and 100CEL Cat onto a 2.5" CatBack Blueflame exhaust, I have sorted out a company who are going to fit it and map it ( probably CCph3) along with the oil & Water lines etc needed. I already have a FMIC and Evoshield gasket to keep AIT's at minimum.
this will basically bring the Octy AUQ upto a similar spec to the APX / BAM fitted to the TT /s3/LCR's but I believe with Higher compression than the K04 based engines, given this my question is that will it be likely to produce more power, quicker spool up or better response off boost than an LCR or higher torque?
Or is it likely to be the other way around...less, the LCR seems to map to about 270-290 dependant on tuner and anywhere from 280-310 Lbs ft torque from what I can see ( feel free to correct me). Given that this is not really a BIG turbo conversion I dont think that running higher compression is going to be a problem as the K04 does not boost too much higher than the K03S it will be replacing but produces a higher mass airflow than the K03S?
Any thoughts / comments on this would be greatly appreciated outside of the usual cost & why dont you go REAL big turbo etc, I have deliberately left out what it is costing......

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
This is a conversion I have considered on my Toledo AUQ. Firstly, if you don't mind, can you PM me your source and cost for the kit and who is fitting it and what they would charge?

I have my eye on a similar kit and believe that with an uprated inlet and exhaust mani and FMIC, the 290bhp is possible, and has been achieved on AUM/AUQ engines. However, compared with a "big" turbo such as the GT2X kits, this power is a peak rather than a flat curve over the rev range.

I am unsure about compression, but the spec of the AUQ will not be the same as the APX/BAM engine as there are several mechanical differences between them including the block, pistons and rods.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you are quite right, the APX / BAM engine is stronger internally than the AUQ but at this power level I don't think that will really matter, the AUQ is Okay upto about 320-300bhp

I will drop you a line nearer the time re the tuner etc...should be in Feb as they are stacked out but they have already done a couple and got 270bhp on a Golf mkiv with no FMIC, Just the std I/c which was restricted due to AIT's

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
There are a lot of 150/156/180bhp 1.8T's running over 300bhp (look at some of the US sites). I would personally be wary of going over 300bhp given that my car is a daily runner that does 20,000 miles a year.

I would appreciate knowing about the parts and the fitters by the way and look forward to your PM!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
This is a conversion I have considered on my Toledo AUQ. Firstly, if you don't mind, can you PM me your source and cost for the kit and who is fitting it and what they would charge?

I have my eye on a similar kit and believe that with an uprated inlet and exhaust mani and FMIC, the 290bhp is possible, and has been achieved on AUM/AUQ engines. However, compared with a "big" turbo such as the GT2X kits, this power is a peak rather than a flat curve over the rev range.

I am unsure about compression, but the spec of the AUQ will not be the same as the APX/BAM engine as there are several mechanical differences between them including the block, pistons and rods.
hi mate, i really advise you not to go with the GT2X and instead go with the GTRS

Trust me! im getting bored of the GTRS and the small step of up to 50 bhp isnt worth it.

and also GT2X, GTRS eliminators and IHI icluded are not 'big turbos' more 'tyre burners'.

GT30 and up and turbos like bills are 'Big Turbos' [;)]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sure that the GTRS conversion power is good but I don't want to spend that much and I want a reliable day to day car that will return reasonable MPG, I do 25K P/A so reliability is a major factor as well, a well mapped K04 will do 270-280bhp with 280+ torque, given that I can get the K04, Manifold and injectors for ?400 ( from a reliable source, low mileage) then the cost of mapping and fitting along with a modified or new DP ( ?300) does not add upto that much, especially once I have sold things like my existing K03s Low mileage turbo, TIP, Maf and airbox....I would love to go GTRS or something like but the costs start to become prohibitive when you add in the cost of new 440cc Injectors, uprated clutch ( which will be needed) and boost controller. not much change out of 3K if you are getting it fitted, especially if you get stung for Import Tax / Vat!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Use one of the hybrids that companies are offering? AM04 or similar they technically bolt on and with all the trimmings they do similar power to the TT/S3, probably better if used with a new big bore manifold.... the TT/S3 manifold is even more pants than the Golf one! and unless its new you can bet your bottom dollar its cracked, then you have to fabricate a downpipe... gota be keen to go that path surely.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Use one of the hybrids that companies are offering? AM04 or similar they technically bolt on and with all the trimmings they do similar power to the TT/S3, probably better if used with a new big bore manifold.... the TT/S3 manifold is even more pants than the Golf one! and unless its new you can bet your bottom dollar its cracked, then you have to fabricate a downpipe... gota be keen to go that path surely.
There have been cars where this turbo has been used and produced similar figures to the K03s. However, there has been a couple of cars with this turbo and uprated inlet and exhaust manifolds, FMIC with 290bhp.

As far as I know, the Hybrid does not have the same flow rate as a K04-023......

Edit:...... But the hybrid can work with standard intake pipe, airbox, injectors and downpipe.........

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Use one of the hybrids that companies are offering? AM04 or similar they technically bolt on and with all the trimmings they do similar power to the TT/S3, probably better if used with a new big bore manifold.... the TT/S3 manifold is even more pants than the Golf one! and unless its new you can bet your bottom dollar its cracked, then you have to fabricate a downpipe... gota be keen to go that path surely.
There have been cars where this turbo has been used and produced similar figures to the K03s. However, there has been a couple of cars with this turbo and uprated inlet and exhaust manifolds, FMIC with 290bhp.

As far as I know, the Hybrid does not have the same flow rate as a K04-023......

Edit:...... But the hybrid can work with standard intake pipe, airbox, injectors and downpipe.........
Do you mean by this that the K03/K04 Hybrids do not flow as much as a K04 or that they flow more?

Downpipe is available 'off the shelf' from Pipe worx' that will fit this perfectly, I have the Injectors, Airbox, etc as well from an S3.

Dave

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

Attached is a file with a plot of a amo4, big ex mani, turbo back exhaust, intake, filter FMIC vs a K03s with the same mods. You will have to save it to your computer and rename it to be .xls instead of .jpg.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Do you mean by this that the K03/K04 Hybrids do not flow as much as a K04 or that they flow more?

Downpipe is available 'off the shelf' from Pipe worx' that will fit this perfectly, I have the Injectors, Airbox, etc as well from an S3.

Dave
Its the same 023 compressor with the hot side off a KO3s (alot of tuners preffer this to KO4) mated to a high flow big bore manifold? Mike at AM saw 275hp on their stage 1 offering... about the same as a good TT/S3 setup, pretty sure that was without the bigger manifold to... people on SCN that are using it have seen similar or even higher figures in some cases up to 290hp... its gonna have to work pretty hard to get those sort of figures but its probably an easier solution to sub 300hp power than the TT setup.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Like I said, they are not jpg files. They are xls files, but the attach function on here does not allow xls. You will have to save the files to your computer, then right click on them and rename them from .jpg to .xls

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Whats the hardware setup? thats about what I'd expect to see with a hybrid running on KO3s hardware ie injectors, MAF etc and possably KO3s software as they will run on this too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Question is it worth going K04 or AM04 over the K03s then? if a well maped K03S with a high flow ex Manifold is capable of similar figures, I thought that the AMO4 / Ko4 would moe likely be in the 270-280 BHp Range and 280+torque, Mike at A & M got 275 and 285 Lbs /ft without the high flow manifold... This is becoming more and more of a question.....is it worth it? should I just stick with the K03S and get a high flow manifold or look at going the eliminator route?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
To be honest, 250bhp is possible with a K03s. You are not going to notice huge differences between 250bhp and 260bhp, or even 250bhp and 270bhp.

The K03s car above was an Ibiza - Infact this Ibiza It does not have all the equipment listed fitted, but it makes over 250bhp with a K03s.

The more I think about it, the money would be better spent on a big turbo with a "mild" map to ensure boost is not too high and that the engine is still "safe". A GT28RS Elimiator at 1.0 Bar would probably be better than a K04 at 1.4 Bar, but the end power would probably be similar.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts