Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Dexter
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now present, the newest member of my VW family (I'm nuts right?).

A PD130, Tornado Red, 3dr MK4 Golf.

HxtLf39.jpg?1

Lots of mods to come, as usual I can't keep my grubby mitts off. Currently clocking in at over 225k miles, running a generic re-map and scoring over 50 mpg on my daily commute to work (where I get most of my parts.. :whistle: )

j2PuuLx.jpg?3

Already lowered on coilovers, steels to boot because the owner before last couldn't stop cracking alloys :lol-lol:

Mine for the bargain price of £400; since I needed a car and I needed one pretty quickly :whistle:

Came from a family who now have two small kids... bought some Vauxhall / Opel wagon of some kind, but the owner before was a family friend who had the car for 8 years prior... meaning I got a fairly decent service history.

I have to say, at £400 I was expecting a few issues, and I wasn't to be dissapointed!

In no particular order, see the issues I found upon inspection below:

• Cracked Sump
  • Faulty wiper relay (wouldn't turn off)
  • No brake lights

So far, nothing else; so I got her home and set to work!

(post 2 with more information!)

·
Dexter
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So first order of business, the wipers wouldn't turn off, so wiper relay I had laying around from another MK4 I stripped.

PluJ7nE.jpg

Fitted, sorted some codes (relay 167 I had new laying around, so replaced it).

Found my brake lights were just a blown fuse, not the switch; so saved a bit there :lol-lol:

Next up was my sump, as I found a few small spidery cracks on it.

G35f9JH.jpg

Went to my local TPS; picked up a bendy pipe for a special shallow sump I had :whistle:

I wonder why it was leaking...

Z1SADCU.jpg

Hmm... Time to put the new one on, got my bendy pipe in place; and a nice Vaico shallow sump... and a GASKET!

Yes, that's right... a gasket. No silicone in sight here :rolleyes: Nice easy install and touch wood... no leaks so far!

ohDfXO5.jpg?1

After the sump was in, it was time for some filters; and the friendly folks at GSF helped out with that. New oil + air filter (I already had some spare new febi cabin filters)

UAXgcXy.jpg?1

So thats in, it's no leaking. Slightly shallow-er sump and I've got engine spacers to go in to alleviate any more floor kisses from the engine :lol-lol:

hwsXNuh.jpg?1

Ahh... that's better!

·
Dexter
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that's me caught up to present... I'll try and keep a bit more active on here as I continue to fix + mod this one... hopefully it won't break too badly.

I've got a slightly lazy starter motor, after I fire up it sometimes sticks out a bit; so that'll need to be fixed.

The air filter I pulled was pretty manky...
DqNDmKc.jpg?1

Definitely glad I swapped that out.

Next up from me is an EGR delete, Mr-Muscling my turbo, Clock Mods, Interior mods and swapping to some slightly better seats than the standard cloth recaros... We'll see I'm sure!

·
Dexter
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and worth a mention; if anyone has any Tornado Red panels... hit me up :Y: I'm in the south east and the wings, boot and bumpers are fairly rotten / flaky..

·
Dexter
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beauty! Sounds like you got a bargain there and a strong start point. Well on top of the niggles already too :)
Yeah. It's had regular oil changes every 6 months regardless of mileage. I'm keeping an eye out for the
VaoHTFm.jpg?1
cams.

Good news is we sell the camshaft kit at work, so I can pick it up at a bargain price should it start to go :Y: B)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Damn bro now u say ???????? ur in London too right

·
Dexter
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As a fun note, work did a rally/drive? round Europe as a marketing thing for a new warehouse in the UK. They had a few nice cars... but also a fully wrapped MK2 Caddy.

cbs3iRN.jpg

Not one to pass up a good deal :)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I’m not a fan of red cars but every time u post I grow more to ur car the red with black steals are working maybe the way the wheels sit just to the arch u thinking of changing wheels

Reactions: jwrb

·
Dexter
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not a fan of red cars but every time u post I grow more to ur car the red with black steals are working maybe the way the wheels sit just to the arch u thinking of changing wheels
Right now I'm a bit cash strapped... I still cant decide what to go for. When I do it'll be 18s.

I have some spare steels so quite tempted to band them, small bit of stretch and a low offset to bring them out and fill the arch. Could look nice and not a look many go for :whistle:

I know steels are good for me, my commute to work is about 25 miles, with almost all of that down windy, pothole covered country roads. On my 2.SLOW I killed a few alloys, a number of tyres.

Worst was when I bent a steel on a harsh pothole... pulled over and put air in, drove 200m and I could hear air escaping with the window down :lol-lol:

So I pulled over again, jacked the car up with a trolley jack I had in the boot, inspected the rim and tyre to find a nice big bent flat spot on the inner bead.... Few firm love taps from Mr. Hammer (also in the boot) and she was golden... back on and did another 3,000 miles of harsh driving before she blew out on new years morning at 3am :wacko: . Threw a spare on after that and got a new tyre... Still glad I had steels though.

Not to mention if I smack a curb I'm not fussed... if they get damaged the cost to replace is maybe £60 new... or £80 for a set of 4 used :Y: B)

Regarding red cars... I've never been a fan myself... but I really like this one; it sits about where I want, fun to boot around and still gets at least 45+ mpg being booted down the country lanes :whistle: . It's the (I've been told?) rarer colour red as well, and compared to a Flash Red you can definitely tell the difference... It seems to pop a little more :wub:

Next up from me is a new colour MFA install, Diesel style this time. I'll also be wiring up the boost lines to the ECU from the cluster so I'll be able to monitor boost levels and also use the stalk to control boost while driving :D

It's gonna be good... but this time round I'll try and keep you posted a little more B)

·
Dexter
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i wasn't looking for red one when I bought but when I saw it I had to buy ir but the way its gone I regeret it now should have bought another one, mines tornado red as well
Aye, I'm pretty much the same. I was just looking for a derv to replace my dead 2.SLOW.... I saw this; took it for a drive and loved it... Compared to a 2.SLOW it pulls and it's my first turbo vehicle (to drive and also to own).

Love the colour as well... but I'm after R32 front and rear bumpers currently + tornado red wings.

·
Dexter
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So another job jobbed. 40 224 mcd 5500K white SMD LED's have been ordered... These ones will be going in my new cluster i'm working on.

I'm converting a set of Full FIS petrol clocks to fit my TDi, along with a nice 3D Color MFA install.

The clocks should also show boost once I get them wired up... so no need for a boost gauge :p

·
Dexter
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I had some bits arrive today... my LED's..

180-355 mcd... so not too much brighter than stock (not 224 like I thought!)

IPcQh3F.jpg?1

Also prodded some more 3D Color MFD wiring with my iron..

kG3QjfN.jpg?1

Good fun... hopefully done soon!

Reactions: rainbird

·
Dexter
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been prodding some more wires... MFA install is complete... just a firmware update.

vwZOb6v.jpg?1

LED's are happening. White is king B)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts