Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently torn between a new Mk 5 GTI and an R32. I have test driven both now and am leaning towards the R32 for the following reasons:

1) It's quicker. The GTI was quicker than my V5 (as expected) but I would say that the R32 is quicker than the GTI by as much again. (Made the V5 feel like a shopping trolley!!)

2) It feels a more special car, somehow, but cannot put my finger on it.

3) It sounded better, - i.e the combined note of the exhaust & engine

4) It's going to be cheaper since a specced up GTI is around 22K and the R32 I test drove was ?19,799.

I liked the GTI and think it is a great car, - I think it outhandles the R32 but I just think I prefer the R32..

What does everyone else think?, - i know this topic has probably been done to death but so what!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd go with the R mate - FAR more special car!!

Providing that the one your looking at is in good nick, is it an 03 or 04??

ONLY thing the GTi has over it is warranty IMO

ANOTHER thing to remember as soon as you drive that MK5 off the forecourt it will be worth less than the R you buying as you lose the best part of ?4k VAT like THAT!!

Cheers

C

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The R I looked at was a 52 reg with 21K on the clock. It was in decent condition too.

Good point re depreciation on the GTI.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
You can probably get a newer reg than 52 for the same, if not less money and similar mileage.

For example, Roysters is an 03 reg with 8,000 less miles for more or less the same price: http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/classifieds.asp?ADVERT_ID=5606&TOPIC_ID=16

Depends if you want to go down the private or dealer route though. I'd say you'd still find a newer model with similar mileage and a similar price tag at a dealers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am happy to go down the private route since they are newish cars anyway and will still have warranty left.

You're right about getting a newer one with less miles, - I do intend to shop around to see what's out there though...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Quote: posted by Shaq on 08/04/2005 14:51:03

ANOTHER thing to remember as soon as you drive that MK5 off the forecourt it will be worth less than the R you buying as you lose the best part of ?4k VAT like THAT!!Cheers C

Not the case with the Mk 5 GTi as supply cannot keep up with demand this year.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
If you decide to go for that car from the dealer make sure you try and get a discount or an over book price for your trade-in.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Quote: posted by Shaq on 08/04/2005 14:51:03

...you lose the best part of ?4k VAT like THAT!! Cheers C

That VAT thing is a common misconception - don't know why.

The value of your car (or anything) has NOTHING to do with VAT (many countries have lower or no VAT).

It's all supply and demand. If you had in your hand a brand new GTI you'd easily get your money back, if not a premium. Nearly new Aston Martins are more like +20k rather than -20k (even though thats the VAT)

New ROLEX Daytona RRP 3,650 - price you'll pay to avoid wait - 8 to 10k !!

Oh and if it's a Rover/Citroen/Daewoo etc you'd be lucky to lose the VAT - more like 50% off !!

·
Registered
440 Posts
1) It's quicker. The GTI was quicker than my V5 (as expected) but I would say that the R32 is quicker than the GTI by as much again. (Made the V5 feel like a shopping trolley!!)

According to the March VW Driver, and these are their words

"The MKV GTi DSG Easily outperformed both the 180PS Mk4 GTi 1.8T and the 240 PS R32 by quite a margin, almost a full second faster than the R32 to 70 mph and well over a second quicker from 30-50 in third gear. With a top speed of 145 mph and a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds, this DSG Gti ranks as one of the fastest cars we tested, only fractionally slower than the supercharged R32 we featured in the March 2004 issue"

Maybe this only applies to the DSG model. I thnk they are going to test the manual in the June issue.

I must say when I tested them both I wouldn't have said that but its hard to say unless you are going head to head.

Mind you make it a wet road and it's probably bye bye GTi.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting that they quote the 180 GTI and the R32 in the same sentance as if they are even comparable. I could understand them saying it out performed the 180 by quite a margin but to say that about the R32 is wishful thinking I reckon. I have not driven the GTI DSG model but I would be impressed if it knocked a full second off the 0-60 over a standard GTI.

·
Registered
628 Posts
i'm starting to like the new GTI's more every week but if i chose one,in the back of my mind i would be thinking 'should have got the R'.

i'm trying to imagine asking myself this question when the new mkv R version comes out,

think i'd rather own the best mkiv than the second best mkv.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 08/04/2005 14:55:02

Could have had mine for ?18k but I just sold it!

19 months warranty still left too...

Funny that just sold mine and could have had that for a little more money than that too.[:D]. The R32 is special compared to the Mrk V GTi

·
Registered
77 Posts
i went out in a R32 today as a passenger and was'nt overly impressed by it, MK5 gti feels faster as you'd expect and just a better bet for the ??? IMO

·
Registered
77 Posts
did a sort of 0-120 run on a private test track ;)

hads lots of torque, and id imagine would be a nice car you could cruise along the motorway in at 90-100 easy, but IMO if i had that ??? to spend i would go for the mk5, although i do agree the interiour is alot better in the r32

1 - 20 of 45 Posts