Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

and to be honest, i would rather spend the 21+K somewhere else !!

so i've decided to buy a Nissan 350Z instead. I know their two different kind of cars...but for a single bloke, without kids....the Z would be a much better proposition.

I think the Z beats the GTI in every possible department: looks;performance;value for money;build quality;sound [:D] OK it may cost a little more to run than the GTI, but the saving from the initial payment would take care of that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The only argument i can put against the choice of the z, is the plastic tacky interior[:(], im not the only1 that thinks this am i?

·
Registered
281 Posts
How much exactly do you think a 350Z costs? Isnt it more like 24K+? 2 totally different cars but you are right - single guy with no family commitments etc - get the 350Z. I need 4 seats, practicality, I need it not to be nicked, understated style, quick, loads of mods available (eventually) etc. It's nice to try different cars and I feel that now is a good time for the new GTI [^]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mmmmm gotta love the 350z. Def agree - 2 completely different styles of cars.

However, judging by AMDs effort with the new GTI, i don't think the performance difference will be much (if any) - Their GTI seriously moves!

Don't really agree that build quality would be any better either - the interior in the 350z is a bit tacky and kinda cheap for a 25k car.

Guess its what floats your boat really....i personally think they both look pretty stunning and wouldn't mind either of them.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Quote: posted by mark_c on 28/03/2005 20:16:16

The only argument i can put against the choice of the z, is the plastic tacky interior[:(], im not the only1 that thinks this am i?

I second that! There still too new to see any major problems but tbh you can smell the great renault build quality all over it!

·
Registered
387 Posts
A Nissan!!! I can't believe anyone who owns/has owned a German car would even contemplate a Nissan. Sorry but even the Audi TT look-a-like wouldn't even be considered here. Jap Crap

Sarge

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by sgt.banjo on 28/03/2005 22:50:13

A Nissan!!! I can't believe anyone who owns/has owned a German car would even contemplate a Nissan. Sorry but even the Audi TT look-a-like wouldn't even be considered here. Jap Crap

Sarge

Never mince your words do ya sarge!!! I think you should get the 2005 award for 'MR CONTROVERSIAL POSTER'!!!

lol

on the 350Z kick... hmm I like it but Id rather have the TT 3.2. (Or an R32)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Interestingly enough - you're not the first person to say that evilhomer. Is there such a thing as tact counselling [^]

Sarge

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by sgt.banjo on 28/03/2005 23:26:53

Interestingly enough - you're not the first person to say that evilhomer. Is there such a thing as tact counselling [^]

Sarge

LOL - hmmm.. 'The art of Diplomacy' springs to mind!!! isn't it a book??!! [:D]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I think you'll find the 350Z is actually well made and one or two people on here have even chopped in their golfs for them. Even considered doing it myself.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Go for it. I think it looks a stunning car. Sat in one at a dealer and the interior looked fine to me.

A bit impractical for me as well though as there is nowhere to put the golfclubs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Errrr a Nissan, a bloody awful thing. Striking but not at all refined like the GTi, which is a big reason why I like the GTi.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can concour with AMD Commment there were som 350 Z at santa pod a few weeks back and they weren't doing at all well, I did consider one last year but the wait put me off, having said that i understand the GTi wait is now getting a little bit silly. The only thing that would put me off would be the depreciation. The GTi will hold it's money a lot better than the 350z.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by JON_XL on 29/03/2005 07:13:45

The only thing that would put me off would be the depreciation. The GTi will hold it's money a lot better than the 350z.

Not according to What Car, 350Z retains 63% after 3 years/36k miles - pretty good.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I test drove the Z last year and within 5 minutes I was wanting to put a deposit down it simply is that good but my head ruled my heart and I just could not part with ?29,000 to a Nissan dealer. The thing with the 350 compared to the GTi is that it will be expensive to run with mid 20's MPG and 9000 mile service intervals and although residuals are good they are proportionate to the original value so you WILL lose more money. Have a look on the Z-Forum as there are always a few for sale there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
is he talking about a second hand 350Z ?, they are not 21K + more like 25K+, nice car for sure but not in the same price bracket

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

dude...the one i sat\drove in, didnt have obvious plastic anywhere... the doors and dash were covered with a suide type material and the dash was like the MKIV golf...formy type stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by Uzi9 on 28/03/2005 20:29:54

How much exactly do you think a 350Z costs? Isnt it more like 24K+? 2 totally different cars but you are right - single guy with no family commitments etc - get the 350Z. I need 4 seats, practicality, I need it not to be nicked, understated style, quick, loads of mods available (eventually) etc. It's nice to try different cars and I feel that now is a good time for the new GTI [^]

a brand new one would cost around 25k - fully loaded. A GTI fully loaded costs 24.5k - but i wouldn't look to buy a new one anyways...so could pick one up with 9k miles on clock for 19k. notr bad huh ?

tell me. I've heard people say how quick it is....but is it REALLY that quick ? i mean a 2.0FSI Turbo engine should be released with a lot more power, dont you think ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote: posted by Y0Gi on 28/03/2005 22:12:51

Like my reply to the guy above....have you sat in a 350Z ?? to be honest, i was completly blown away by how beautifully it was crafted and how little plastic was used. The dash and doors were covered in a suide type material and a formy material like the MKIV Golfs

·
Registered
366 Posts
I didn't think the interior was all that well put together it reminded me of any other japanese manufactures plus the demo I went in had cardboard stuffed into the rear speakers behind the seat as they could not stop them rattling! the interior is pretty bland say next to a TT. I would buy the car for the performance and engine note though as it really does sound the business and ?19k is a good price but I take it that is without the GT pack and no RAYS which greatly enhance the look.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts