Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a remap only just around the corner, i always said i'd want to sort the cars handling out before making it quicker.... so the time is here.

After lots of thinking and talking, im 99% convinced that the Koni Yellow Sport and Eibach -30mm setup is for me. Not bone shattering, but firm and flat. Id considered just going for ARB's first, but i'll still be plagued by the horrible rebound of the inneficient damping.... so im going to do the expensive option :)

So come on then peeps.... tell me JUST how much better its gonna feel... make my planned outlay of £600+ feel worthwhile! :)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
As the Cupra is pretty well sorted out of the box, you probably won't feel a huge improvement but if you reckon the damping is naff, then you're definitely going to feel a very worthwhile improvement - I presume your £600 includes fitting? Sounds expensive for springs and dampers, more like coilover money. When I put H&R coilovers on my 1.6 I laughed out loud every time I drove it, this lasted months, and even now 2 years later I grin from ear to ear, sticking on a rear ARB a few months ago rekindled that WOOHOO!!! [H] feeling, so, go for it.

I don't know whether VAG still uses cheaper dual tube dampers on its racier models or more high tech gas charged monotubes? In any case the latter is usually what you get when spending good £££ on aftermarket kit.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Cupra R is quite well sorted.... the normal Cupra much less so. It's only marginally better setup than an Anniversary. Damping is typical MK4 fare really... too much roll, bouncing across undulations, and that ever present feeling of 'wallowness' (if thats a word... it is now!).

Aye, £600 includes fitting... it does sound expensive, but i wanna go with quality dampers and get it right. Coilovers are pointless for me, im probably pushing it at dropping 30mm as it is with the kerbs etc round here. I remember just fitting Eibachs alone on my 1.6 a few years ago and the difference was staggering, so hopefully doing the whole shebang this time will work wonders!

The price is from a local reputable place... and is a much better price than the £700 Star Performance wanted, and without the drive north too.

Now, the call to Direct Line could be interesting...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had Koni Yellows on my previous car, Although they were very adjustable and the handling was good, they were ridicuosly hard even on a soft setting.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
what about the new koni FSD's! they seem to be getting great reviews!

I have the yellow shocks, but i feel the ride isnt great with my eibach springs! maybe cos the TT Ronal wheels i have a seriously heavy!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
What about sticking completely with Eibach and going for the Pro kit with springs and dampers?
Wlko had (still has?) this setup and when coupled with a rear ARB it was superb, very smooth and handled just perfectly (or as close to!).

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
What about sticking completely with Eibach and going for the Pro kit with springs and dampers?
Wlko had (still has?) this setup and when coupled with a rear ARB it was superb, very smooth and handled just perfectly (or as close to!).
Yeah totally agree, I remember going around a roundabout in his car and thinking how awesome it was. [:D]

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
After 80,000 miles of abuse, I think the eibach dampers may be going off. It's a great handling/ride compromise. Reminds me a lot of my old 205 gti's and my 1978 mini.

I'm going fsd's next just to try something different, but if they're any better or even no worse than the eibach set up. I'll be happy.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After 80,000 miles of abuse, I think the eibach dampers may be going off. It's a great handling/ride compromise. Reminds me a lot of my old 205 gti's and my 1978 mini.

I'm going fsd's next just to try something different, but if they're any better or even no worse than the eibach set up. I'll be happy.
Great thanks John, just what i wanted to hear [:D] Cant wait to get them fitted now!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The Cupra R is quite well sorted.... the normal Cupra much less so. It's only marginally better setup than an Anniversary. Damping is typical MK4 fare really... too much roll, bouncing across undulations, and that ever present feeling of 'wallowness' (if thats a word... it is now!).
Can't comment on the Cupra but my FR seems quite nice through the corners. Feels reasonably flat but then I was used to the stock suspension on the Golf GT TDI.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah to be fair, coming from a Golf 1.8T myself, it was a huge improvement. However even at a mere 28k, i can feel the stock dampers getting worn, i have noticed an increase in body roll, stodgy turn in and poor rebounding, so that, combined with the fact its getting remapped in a few months, made me wanna get it sorted out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wilko im thinking of getting the fsd's what springs are u planning?,,,I really dont know what to do as i want the front to drop 20mm and the back 40mm to level out with the front but dont want to go too low. Ive just put R32 18's on her and she looks a bugger.

Terry

Bora Highline TDI 130

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you getting these fitted in the North East Chris? I bought some Coilovers in the same group buy and dont know of anyone local to fit them.
Cheers Ross

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im gonna use Revolution down on Newcastle Quayside mate (Gateshead side, South Shore Rd).. got my springs fitted on my old car with them, decent place.

Quoted me 3hrs @ £30p/h for springs and dampers which aint bad really.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts