Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting new tyres next saturday was thinking of getting eagle f1s (gsd3) for my new 17" rs4 alloys,i have a vw golf gt tdi pd 130bhp,just wondering what everyone thought about these tyres as in lastability and grip in the wet and dry,dont know what size the tyres will be for these all i have on the box is 17x7.5 anyone have any idea what i need for these,any help much appreciated[H]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Superb tyres, really grippy in the dry and excellent in the wet.

I will be needing to change mine around Christmas time so that will be roughly 10K and 12months they have lasted me.

I don't think the LSD and my driving really helps their long term life though [:)]

225 / 45 / 17 rings a bell though im sure somebody else will confirm that.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I've got Goodyear Eagle F1s on my Azev AS wheels - They were already on
the car when I bought it in Dec 2003 and must have done a good few
thousand miles. I'm still rolling round on them now having driven 20k
on them myself! They've got a few 'k' left, so Im gonna guess that this
set were good for 25k!

I've benn quoted ?470 all-in for another set of 225/40/28 F1s, so lets hope they last as long!

I've also got 3 nearly-new F1s in the garage on my 17" Santas!

You'll need 225/45/17 . . .

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I fitted a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1's a couple of months back.

I'd highly recommend them, great all round performers and look sexy too.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've had 2 sets of Michelin Pilot Sports on my R32 and have just fitted my first set of Eagle F1s. I have to say they are awesome. Sooo much more feel and loads of grip. They seem to ride a lot softer and produce significantly less road-roar.

My only reservation is the fact that they won't last as long but so far, I think that the pros outweigh the cons.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well went to garage today and ordered four goodyear eagle f1s,?432 fitted and balanced,they said i should go for 215/45/17,getting them fitted on wednesday[:D]

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
A note on tyre sizes.....you wanted 225/45/17 really.

Useful link - http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Assuming your standard (original) tyres are 195/65/15 - they are on my PD130 - then:-

Using 215/45/17 - When speedo reads 60mph, you are actually travelling 59.1mph, 1.4% slower.

Using 225/45/17 - When speedo reads 60mph, you are actually travelling 60mph, exactly right.

I am also changing mine for 17"ers - I have them in the kitchen being given 3 coats of wheel wax before they go on first though!! - should get them on tomorrow or wednesday, just 2 wheels left to do.

Note - applying 3 coats of wax to 4 wheels with 15 spokes is not fun........thats 180 spokes to wax round!! [:O]

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm gonna be needing to change mine very soon, all 4. How do they compare against the michelin pilots. Seen the pilots for ?130 each. My only gripe of them at the moment is the road noise, but they seem to have lasted well...15k+ Will i see that from F1's considering i mainly do motorway miles.

edit...just seen some kumho ecsta 711's for ?60!! under half the price of pilots - but are they half the tyre??

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
How do they compare against the michelin pilots. Seen the pilots for ?130 each.
Pilots are one of the worst tyres I have driven on. Cornering was
awful, they just didnt seem to grip at all and caused massive
understeer.

Also manic wheelspin was an issue causing me to remove them after a couple of hundred miles and replace them with F1's.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Pilots are one of the worst tyres I have driven on. Cornering was awful, they just didnt seem to grip at all and caused massive understeer.
Also manic wheelspin was an issue causing me to remove them after a couple of hundred miles and replace them with F1's.
I had these on the Golf from the factory, The tyre squeel going round corners made me feel like i was starring in an episode of Starsky & Hutch

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEETCH

Posted Image

·
Registered
813 Posts
Pilots are one of the worst tyres I have driven on.
Cornering was awful, they just didnt seem to grip at all and caused
massive understeer.
I had these on the Golf from the factory, The tyre squeel going
round corners made me feel like i was starring in an episode of Starsky
& Hutch

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEETCH

Posted Image
Im on Pilot HX tyres. Ok not the best around but ive never heard em screetch. Not that a drive like Starsky.

Hardeep - you been driving like a car chase?

·
Registered
432 Posts
lol, of course always.  Reading other people's comments I have to agree.  Wheelspin happens too easily, even when ur rolling and say hit 3k revs.  I like screeching to a halt like in the movies . . . makes it seem so much more urgent.  Without anything else to compare it to, i was quite happy with the pilots.  Saying that, the golf is quite soundproofed, so when you have the music up a bit, you can't hear the screeching.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
F1's are give really good wet weather grip for sure.

Dry weather grip is good too.

Tyre noise is low (compared to Pilot Sports), breakaway point is soft and non-scary

Tyre wear is ok - I've so far done 15k miles and they look like they should stretch to 20k - My Pilot Sports lasted 20500miles.

They also won this year's Autocar Tyre test for the performance section - taking 1st place overall

Downsides:

If u give it them 'Proper Beans' on a dry day, then the tyres just die
quick time! If I razzle my car and work up some heat into
the tyres, then u just see the shoulder blocks just shred away... Not
good if u like to drive hard like me!

The pilot sports never suffered this.. small complaint i guess.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Does any one know what the difference is between these two?

EAGLE F1 GS-D3 225/45 R17 91Y BSW ?82.60

And

EAGLE F1 GS-D3 225/45 R17 94W XL BSW ?85.60

·
Registered
659 Posts
Does any one know what the difference is between these two?

EAGLE F1 GS-D3 225/45 R17 91Y BSW ?82.60

And

EAGLE F1 GS-D3 225/45 R17 94W XL BSW ?85.60
I take it you got those details from mytyres.co.uk?

I've pinched this from their site as well! (In the help section):

Tyre sizes are made up of a number of different numbers and letters. For example tyre size 185/60 R 14 82 H is made up of the following information:

185The tyre section width in millimetres
60The aspect ratio in % (the height of the sidewall divided by the tyre's width)
RDenotes the tyre's construction type - in this case it's a radial
14Rim diameter in inches
82Load Index
H

Speed Rating

Speed Ratings

All tyres carry a speed symbol in the form of a letter indicating the maximum speed for which the tyre is intended. The table below shows which speed goes with each letter.

Speed symbolMaximum speed km/h
mph
N14087
P15093
Q16099
R170106
S180112
T190118
H210130
V240149
W270168
Y300186