Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.........its nothing to write home about[:(]

Wheels look better than in the pics, interior trim is quite nice but its just far to similar to the rest of the range.

When you see the MKV R32 you knew straight away what it was, big bumpers, arches etc, but the MKV R32 just doesnt do it for me I'm afraid

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's amazing how many people think the MkV R32 is just too bland and not aggressive enough.

I'm waiting to see one in the flesh but from what you're reporting, it's not up to much!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
You can only hope VW have something extra up their sleeve, otherwise they have peaked too early.
I think in the Mk5 range the R32 is the V6 4Mo of the Mk4 range, and just ups the power enough to the range of the Astra VXR.

Wait for the R36 towards the end of the model life [:O]

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
.........its nothing to write home about[:(]

Wheels look better than in the pics, interior trim is quite nice but its just far to similar to the rest of the range.

When you see the MKV R32 you knew straight away what it was, big
bumpers, arches etc, but the MKV R32 just doesnt do it for me I'm afraid
I was looking at one yesterday, didn't think it looked that special, which dealer do you work for?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I too think they will bring an R36 out to be the 'swan song' of the range.

But maybe they figured that they could have sold the old r32 in larger numbers if they had the capacity. So this car is out early?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I hope they do bring out an 'R36' or like, because as it stands I think
the GTI looks more like a hot hatch with its honeycomb grill etc.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I was reading on VW Votex about the new R32. Apparently the designers
thought that whole pupose was its subtleness. It even goes on to say
that the MK4 R32 was a rush job and ended up looking something out of
Maxpower magazine (or eqivilant). I will get the link and post back.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
20 valve do you know if hawco Inverness has got one?
The one they are getting is being used as the demonstrator, our one is just for the showroom.

Get your self down there for a test drive[:)]

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Doesn't have the aggressive look of the Mk4, but maybe thats a good thing considering how many are getting car-jacked around here....

Saw one at the dealers yesterday, and though it looked understated, it was getting attention. Looked like an old fella had been out for a test drive in it too; maybe they are trying to sell them to a different market sector to the Golf GTI? After all it seems the GTI handles better according to reviews etc...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
It says something that whilst the car may drive better.... its not getting anywhere near the reception the original R32 got, nor the GTI for that matter.

I think VW have really goofed up and ruined what possibly looked like being a special and elusive 'R' badge...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Agreed Chris, the second generation R32 should have been aimed at being an Evo/Scooby beater. Those two cars command high prices so they could have entered that market with a competent car. But alas VW seem to sell themselves and the customers short.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the new R32 is more like a replacement for the VR6/ 4motion than the old R32. My mate who is a VW salesman initially thought it was too expensive but then did a little research on old price lists. Turns out the old VR6 Highline was almost as expensive back in 1997! The beauty of the VR6 was that it was fast but at the same time classless as it was "just a Golf".

I think the new R32 is aimed at the same market, the old one was not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just had order confirmed for new R32 - owned a V6 4Mo before current Impreza WRX. IMO this new one will be the ideal combination - solid V6, small car with big car feel, practical, doesn't stand out hugely from the rest of the range. Not completely sold on the interior trim strips (will probably replace with GTI alu trim) but having driven the car on Wednesday it really is so much better than the old V6 4MO.

Have seen a lot of original R32 owners on this and other forums comparing the 2 models but don't think it's a straight comparison other than the size of the engine. This new one just seems a bit more of a complete product rather than trying to make the best of a limited chassis. Hope that doesn't offend too many MKIV R32 owners, but my V6 4MO strugled in the handling dept. - VW made the best of it with the old R.

Certainly won't be upset if they bring out an R36 later on - as this would almost certainly be more hardcore and wouldn't suit my needs. Just hope this one lives up to the 20 mile test drive (all 20 were enjoyable), lasts me at least 5 years and doesn't suffer from the "built on a friday afternoon" problems my old 4Mo had.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Agreed Chris, the second generation R32 should have been aimed at being an Evo/Scooby beater. Those two cars command high prices so they could have entered that market with a competent car. But alas VW seem to sell themselves and the customers short.
Sorry, I disagree. The Evo/Scooby market is a small/niche one that VW possibly do not want to be associated with. Scoobys etc are seen as boy racer cars by many.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Sorry, I disagree. The Evo/Scooby market is a small/niche one that VW possibly do not want to be associated with. Scoobys etc are seen as boy racer cars by many.
I agree Ken. Even Subaru UK themselves agree as they have just announced an Impreza WRX 'Type D', which stands for Discrete. They have taken off the 'over the top spoilers' and gold wheels and painted it met. grey!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts