Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Just had my rear screen smashed, how do i Remove This?

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Dent Reform 
#1 ·
Hi

Just had my rear screen smashed, need to take the interior panels off as glass inside

Took the two screws off, but not sure what else needs to be done, pictures attached:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyone know what else needs to be done to remove the black bits

Thanks

Hafizur

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd leave it and give your insurance company / windscreen company a ring. They'll sort out the lot including hoovering out any glass.
yep i agree let the insurance company do it, you usually have to pay the ?50 excess and they`ll send some one round to fit it, It does not affect your no claims, it did`nt on mine as I asked before I got it done. Not sure how much a new screen would cost if you bought it your self but I imagine it would be a lot more that ?50, plus you`ve got all the hassle of fitting it

#6 ·
If you have removed all visable screws, it should just be a matter of prising/pulling it off, as I guess it would be held in with pop clips?

How did it happen BTW if you dont mind me asking? Attempted break in or accident?
How it happened, well i actually saw it, i was looking out my living room window.. A nutcase had two pots of paint on his hand and chucked one on my rear windscreen and the other through the living room window. Luckily i only moved my little one out of the living room just a couple of minutes ago. I ran outside along with my brother to give chase, but lost him.

Police have arrested the person, and they are going to charge him with criminal damage, but that doesnt bring my screen or living room window back.

Hafizur

#8 ·
To get the tailgate lining off:

Undo the two screws that are in the handles (one in each). then starting from around where the boot lock is, lift up the black plastic lining, and start to tug at it away from the bootlid.

The complete black lining is clipped into place by metal clips, its just a matter of yanking the complete black lining off, pull away in stages working ur way around.

The white frame around the brake light/side of boot lid is exactly the same - it's just clipped into place.

#11 ·
Probably just some fruit cake off his rocker, not exactly sure.

Glad the little one was out the way, that was my main worry at the time.

Criminal Damage would of been the least of his problems thats for sure, as i was in the mood to give the same back as he did to my car and the house.

Just hope for the nutters case i dont see him again, otherwise i would be doing a long stretch

Hafizur

#13 ·
How it happened, well i actually saw it, i was looking out my living room window.. A nutcase had two pots of paint on his hand and chucked one on my rear windscreen and the other through the living room window. Luckily i only moved my little one out of the living room just a couple of minutes ago. I ran outside along with my brother to give chase, but lost him.
What a complete and utter tool. And yes, it was very lucky the lid never came off!!

What a shitter.

How are you getting on arranging a new window and fitting what with the time of year?

#16 ·
After careful inspection this morning, there is some paint splattered over the back of the front seats, the rear head rests and the arm rest. Managed to wipe them off with a little white spirit.

Windscreen was repaired this afternoon, rear heater is working fine. Cost 70 pounds, looks like the excess has gone up by 20.

Started washing the car after that, and just finished polishing, was about to wax it and guess what, yes it started raining.

Got a call last late last night, they let the guy go, just gave him a caution. Trust our legal system to do that. Will have to pursue this privately from what i have been told. May be more hassle than worth.

Hafizur

#17 ·
After careful inspection this morning, there is some paint splattered over the back of the front seats, the rear head rests and the arm rest. Managed to wipe them off with a little white spirit.

Windscreen was repaired this afternoon, rear heater is working fine. Cost 70 pounds, looks like the excess has gone up by 20.

Started washing the car after that, and just finished polishing, was about to wax it and guess what, yes it started raining.

Got a call last late last night, they let the guy go, just gave him a caution. Trust our legal system to do that. Will have to pursue this privately from what i have been told. May be more hassle than worth.

Hafizur
the law's an ass!!!!!this little episode with this to$$er's cost you ?70.00!!!what a joke!!!!yet if you drive your car through a 30mph speed trap at 33mph...........3 POINTS AND A FINE!!!!!! no if's,but's or maybe!!!!!!! what a joke!!!!hope the new year brings you better news,mate! ian.

#21 ·
Turns out the police did take him to court on criminal damage charges. Apparently the person was in court yesterday.

Got a call from the police, and the judge let him go, without any punishiment what so ever. He basically said due to the nature of the crime, and becuase the prison system is so heavily burdened, he has no choice but to let him go with a fine. Not sure how much the fine is or how they are going to get it off of him.

Only the other day i saw the news and they mentioned unless someone is a severe menace (murder, armed robbery) they have no choice but to let them go.

Hafizur

#24 ·
And dont forget, it MUST be gloss....[:p]
Yeah Bright pink!

I dont think judges live in the real world, they have the power to sentance as they like, they should be making examples of w@nkers like that and forcing Blair to stop sending squadies out to Iraq and have them over here policing the streets and sorting out people like him and worse. that would sort out street crime.

some little scrote trying to jack a car for a bit of a joyride with his 13yr old mates, hears a noise looks over his shoulder and there is a Challenger2 tanks cannon bearing down on him[:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.