Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had my Anni booked in at JBS for a Custom-Code phase 1 remap. I arrived half an hour early but they were quite busy and were running a little behind schedule, so I hung about and had a good chat with some of the other forum guys who were down there (nice to meet you Eddy [:)]). At this point James was mapping a Fabia vRS which I must say got some impressive torque figures on the RR [:O]

The Fabia was finished and now it was my turn so I handed my keys over and the code was loaded on, I was pretty confident my car was going to come away with some respectable figures and hopefully a nice linear power curve after witnessing what they just did with the Fabia. My car is the first PD150 to be dyno?d at JBS with this Custom-Code so I had no other figures to go by and James was unable to show me any previous dyno plots. After reading NikB?s review and seeing Josh?s vRS PD130 results I knew I was going to be in for a treat!

Whilst the code was loaded on I asked if they would remove my stock air filter and replace it with a Green Cotton panel filter which they were more than happy to do. The bonnet was closed and the code had finished ?uploading? [:D]

James jumped into the drivers seat and took me for a spin on his famous test route. I could immediately feel the difference as he pulled away in 1st and dropped it into 2nd! I noticed a big improvement in how freely the car rev?d and was now pulling hard right up to 4k [;)] I was being thrown back in my seat quite aggressively but I was a bit sceptical as IMO the car always feels quicker when someone else is driving it. James pulled over and now it was my turn?.

With the ESP off I pulled away gently, dropped it into second and then I really gave it some?..revving it to 4.5k before a gear change, all I can say is WOW [:D][:D]- I?m very very impressed with this remap. I love the way the boost comes in and the power is holding on for much longer meaning I don?t run out of steam at 3.5k like I used to!!

I had a very enjoyable drive home (90 miles) from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Chesterfield</st1:place></st1:City> to <st1:place>Wolverhampton</st1:place> [;)] which was mostly motorway and clear A roads. At one point I was hitting naughty speeds (115+) and the car still wanted to go more but I backed off a little. Even at 90 mph, just plant your foot and the car keeps on pulling and pulling.

I have not noticed any excessive smoke either. I guess I will need to test it at night as you can always see it better in the headlights of the car behind you. Another thing that has surprised me is the way I can now launch the car from standstill. There are no more sudden bursts of torque when the car really struggles to get traction, yes the ESP light still flickers but not as much as it used to with the standard map/tuning box. Maybe I?m just imagining it or perhaps i?ve just learnt to drive better? [:$]

Anyone who is thinking about Custom-Code on their PD150 I would highly recommend it, I?m more than happy to take anyone for a ride in my car at any of the regional meets I attend just so you can see for yourself how well it drives. The price is good and customer service superb. James takes his time and explains things to you properly which I feel is important, he doesn?t rush. They made me feel like a valued customer and were not bothered about making other customers wait until they knew I was 100% happy. I don?t want to turn this into a Revo bashing thread but I remember when I had my previous Golf remapped by them - I was in and out within 30 mins and then they were straight on to the next customers car!

James suggested I should fit a full turbo back if I want to see a bit more power but this is a lot of money for very little gain IMO. All in all I?m extremely happy, take a look at the figures and dyno plot ? couldn?t really as for more could I?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Very impressive. Im quite tempted to upgrade this from my REVO. Is it worth getting this custom code over the revo?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
From a petrol point of view Mike, yes its very much worthwhile changing to CC from Revo.

Maybe speak to NikB as he went from Revo to CC on his PD150.

Good to meet you again Sem [:D]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Nice right-up Sem, tempted to go for some custom code on mine when I have a few more mods. As Revo stage 2 is onlt for the DBW engines....not my AGU [:(]

·
Registered
200 Posts
Congrats for the remap, altough the rr graph is very strange, the power was still going skywards after ~4.400RPM!! [:|]

Never seen before a graph like that and I've seen them by the dozen... I would check out turbo pressure with a vag-com fitted to check out what kind of pressure that map is pulling.

About your ex-tuningbox, what brand was it..? I have myself on my PD TDI150 a Rapid digital tuningbox and it produces no-smoke whatsoever, 180bhp on the rr, great torque and pull up to ~4.500RPM. Of course a remap is more linear and more smooth responsive, like you mentioned.

Would love to see some acceleration run vids from you Golf, like the one's I posted on the PD TDI150 performanance thread. [H]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I've got CC now and it's a little better than REVO but it's very
marginal. If you already have a remap then it's not worth spending that
kind of money. However if you don't have a remap then I'd go for it.
Mine seems a little smokey at the moment so I'm probably going to get
that tweaked. Not had chance to stick mine on the rollers yet so no
idea what difference the power is.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yesterday I had my Anni booked in at JBS for a Custom-Code phase 1 remap. I arrived half an hour early but they were quite busy and were running a little behind schedule, so I hung about and had a good chat with some of the other forum guys who were down there (nice to meet you Eddy [:)]). At this point James was mapping a Fabia vRS which I must say got some impressive torque figures on the RR [:O]
Good to meet you too Sem, and good to here you're enjoying CC!

For those who are interested the Fabia vRS owner was previously running a Jabba remap and his review is here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/t28387-fabia-vrs-custom-coded.html

·
Registered
360 Posts
. Mine seems a little smokey at the moment so I'm probably going to get that tweaked.
Am I right in saying that if your car is otherwise standard your better with one of the "tried and perfected" generic maps, because I for one would be pretty pi$$ed if I had to take the car back for what is effectively development work..

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Not at all, we're just trying to get the absolute maximum out of mine.
We're pretty much there really as I've hit a hardware wall!! A bigger
turbo and possibly bigger injectors would allow us to push it further.
The map is not the same for everyone don't forget so it's still
worthwhile.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not at all, we're just trying to get the absolute maximum out of mine. We're pretty much there really as I've hit a hardware wall!! A bigger turbo and possibly bigger injectors would allow us to push it further. The map is not the same for everyone don't forget so it's still worthwhile.
A nice inexpensive alternative to "bigger" pd injectors is an adjustable tuningbox working in parallel with the remap. It doesn't really had significant top-end power, but on the other hand it certanly increases torque (and pull) in low and middle revs. This is done by raising the injection pressure behond the remap limits.

The downside is that you need a strong clutch and it does get a bit on the smokey side.. [:p]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I do have a good clutch and a limited slip diff but I'm not going to
start doing that. I've got nos but would like a bigger turbo. Surely if
the injectors are maxed out then adding a tuning box can't add anything
more anyway.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not at all, we're just trying to get the absolute maximum out of mine. We're pretty much there really as I've hit a hardware wall!! A bigger turbo and possibly bigger injectors would allow us to push it further. The map is not the same for everyone don't forget so it's still worthwhile.
Ah I follow you... makes more sense, forgot you had other mods...

Was on Briskoda and saw this, kind of like a software version of the REVO Sps but with more settings - I assume its not available for Diesels though...

Blatently Cut & Pasted:

Custom Setting from Custom Code

www.custom-code.co.uk - go to downloads and you will find links to Custom Software.

This software will allow you to alter numerous parameters like boost, timing, fueling etc and connects to your vehicle via a OBD-II serial interface (vagcom type cable).

Also a future version will be available which will allow you to switch back to stock for those paranoid users when visiting dealers etc!!

This will give you all the features of an SPS3 (exept anti-theft) and more besides.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I do have a good clutch and a limited slip diff but I'm not going to start doing that. I've got nos but would like a bigger turbo. Surely if the injectors are maxed out then adding a tuning box can't add anything more anyway.
Like I said earlier, the tb can increase a bit further the injection pressure on the stock PD injectors, more so than the map limit on the ecu program.

More pressure = better fuel atomization & increased fuelling

1 - 20 of 43 Posts