Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got these this week from e-bay, ?199 which seems pretty reasonable.

Firstly does anyone know what they are and also can I get the centre caps new from somewhere as these are starting to show their age

Posted Image

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got these this week from e-bay, ?199 which seems pretty reasonable.

Firstly does anyone know what they are.

Posted Image
They look like wheels to me.
Ok left myself wide open for that!

Now all the tittering has finished, the make was where I was coming from. Iwas thinking they were TT wheels but not sure now

·
Registered
34 Posts
To me they look like 17x7.5 " Audi TT 180 rims (I have the same ones), they fit straight onto a mark 4 golf without need of spacers and have a 32mm offset.

Oh yeah..you can get the centres from ebay or most places that sell replica wheels, but they may end up costing you ?20 for a set...also be sure to measure, as those centres comes in various sizes

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
i've got those wheels, and yes, they are from the TT. Still got the audi centre caps on them! Those centre caps do look good though, cant find any on the bay though! [:S]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
4mo wheels are quite different, the spokes are thinner and come to the edge and theres more of them. These are my old 4mo alloys:

Posted Image

·
Registered
29 Posts
They look like the TT ones has everyone has said but might the original Rondall wheels.

Rondall manufactured them for Audi but also sold them as an after market alloy. Have a look in an old PVW mag and you will see an advert for them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pricing up getting them fully refirbed before I put them on. Does any one know if the original nuts will be ok or do I have to get longer ones for alloys??

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pricing up getting them fully refirbed before I put them on. Does any one know if the original nuts will be ok or do I have to get longer ones for alloys??
Any thoughts on whether or not I need different wheel nuts, I only ask as every time I have bought new alloy tire packages they come with different nuts??

Also while Im here Im having second thoughts about what wheels I want as reading through this forum shows up a couple of points

1. Will 17" wheels look silly without lowering my estate and would a 15/16" wheel look far more sensible, as I really dont want to lower the car if I dont have to

2. Fuel consumption going drastically down is a point I hadnt really thought of and the reason I bought this was to have cheaper motoring/practical compared to my old gas guzzling scoob!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
if your car came with alloys as standard, the bolts will be fine, i reused mine! if u had steelies, then i'm not sure, chances are they will need replacing!

If you dont lower it, it will look a bit silly!

My economy has dropped about 5mpg i guess since fitting them, but i can still achieve 50mpg if i'm cruising at 70

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Any thoughts on whether or not I need different wheel nuts, I only ask as every time I have bought new alloy tire packages they come with different nuts??

Also while Im here Im having second thoughts about what wheels I want as reading through this forum shows up a couple of points

1. Will 17" wheels look silly without lowering my estate and would a 15/16" wheel look far more sensible, as I really dont want to lower the car if I dont have to

2. Fuel consumption going drastically down is a point I hadnt really thought of and the reason I bought this was to have cheaper motoring/practical compared to my old gas guzzling scoob!
Same wheel nuts will do, they did for me.

As for arch clearance, here is what my MKIV looked like with 17"s and standard supension;

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers for that, does look a bit daft without lowering, a friend has asked for my 17s for his transporter, with an ?80 profit so I may go with 15/16s

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Don't use steelie wheel bolts on alloys. Someone had on my old scirrocco and they had eaten into the alloys. They are too hard for alloy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bummer mate has tried to fit them on his W reg transporter and they dont fit, think his pcd is 112, looks like Im lumbared with them, will have to have a look and see what they look like on the car. They also seem a pretty heavy wheel but they are nice so Im still in 2 minds, should sell easy enough if I decide to get rid.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
bummer! your right though, they weigh a fekkin ton! i was surprised at how heavy they acutally were!!
I'm getting wheel bearing symptons now, ie a droning on an off!! bugger it! [:'(]

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Even bigger bummer as I have just won these of e-bay

Posted Image

so now Ive got 2 sets of alloys, lets hope I can sell the TT ronals

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well sold the TT alloys, and have cleaned up the montreals with wonder wheels which has got most of the old brake dust off, however there are small stubborn bits in the corners of the spokes, any ideas on best way to get them fully cleaned.

Also noticed while cleaning the et is 42 stamped on the rear of the wheel, these are still for a mk4 golf , right??

Spoke to VW today and asked about alloy bolts and they said they are exactly the same part no. for cars fitted with steel wheels as cars with alloys so guess they will be ok, just got to get the black plastic caps that go over the nuts at a cost of 19p each. Seems reasonable

1 - 20 of 20 Posts