Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im all the way down under in Sydney hope everyones well in the UK! Well this week I got a 99 Bora V5, am pretty happy with it so far - Fingers crossed. Would someone be able to help me out with a small problem?

My car apparently has a rain sensor but it doesnt seem to be working. Also my intermittent wipers aren't working, i think the 2 maybe related? When it rains the sensor wipe doesn't come on and all I get on intermittet setting is 1 wipe then nothing, its the same on all 4 intermittent speeds. I get 1 wipe when I increase the speed then nothing. Would anyone have an idea what might be wrong here...oh yeah the windscreen is clean and the sensor in front of the mirror isnt obscured / dirty.

Also with the V5 does it have a timing belt or chain?

Thanks!

P

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate, Thanks for the reply, hrmm only thing is when the wipers are set to normal speeds 1 and 2 they work fine so im guessing its something specific to the rain sensor / intermittent side of things..or do you think this could effect the intermittent settings if they work when on normal wipe?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I know on mine that the linkage is siezing and this is apparent as there is no speed difference between the high and normal on the wiper stalk.

·
Registered
742 Posts
put your hand over the windscreen where the rear view mirror is attached and put your stalk up 1 click and if your wipers dont come on then it is broke as this is where the sensor is

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info re timing chain, guess that saves on the cam belt pain is a$$ changes....

I tried the covering up sensor approach and no response, so i guess there is probably something wrong with the sensor or else the system that relays information relating to it? The motors seemed to work fine at speeds 1 and 2 today when is was pouring down, but ill keep the motor clean in mind should they seize up.

Does anyeone know the price of a new rain sensor by any chance...? Am hoping this isn't the beginning of a series of electrical grmlins with the car.

Anyone got thoughts on the V5 1999 Bora in general performance / reliability mines just clicked 80K? Im new to VW just changed from a BMW and bought this one spur of the moment as a bit of a punt [:p]

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a 99 V5 Bora & Loooooove It! - Got a 'stainless exhaust' from the cat-back & a K&N and 'What A Lovely Noise!'. I find the car perfect for everyday driving and for performance/fuel. Well worth the £3,200 I paid with 79k on the clocks!Hope You Enjoy The V5 Experience! [Y]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to hear some positive feedback, have to admit I havent given it a push and openeing it up properly yet so will have to do so soon to hear the V5 sound everyone talks about...Have to say down here they are extremely good value relative to Golf's / anything else comprable on the markent thats why i went the punt. Nicely equipped and put together it seems too.

Oh by the way...the dudes on here with the Blue V5's....mines a metallic Blue colour as well, though i think its the slightly darker shade, will have to put a pic up.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You've got a V5 and haven't reach 3-4k revs. [:O]

Mate, go down the road, rev it up (safely of course) and enjoy the throaty roar of the V5. [:D]

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi ,

On my V6 the wipers won't work on auto (sense the rain) until i have switched them on in manual mode at least once. Even if they are in the auto setting, if the ignition has been switched off they won't work, i just give them one cycle on manual then quickly switch back to auto then all is OK . The 4 way sensitivity switch also works OK.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hi ,

On my V6 the wipers won't work on auto (sense the rain) until i have switched them on in manual mode at least once. Even if they are in the auto setting, if the ignition has been switched off they won't work, i just give them one cycle on manual then quickly switch back to auto then all is OK . The 4 way sensitivity switch also works OK.
Yeh what Kev is said is correct. You can't just leave them in auto mode and they will work automatically when it rains... which is what you would expect. When you switch the ignition on, you have to switch the wipers off by pushing the stalk down one level, then push it up one level back into auto mode. Now they will come on when it rains. You have to do this everytime you switch the ignition on again. The switch on the top of the stalk is the sensitivity setting. By the sounds of what you were doing was leaving them in auto mode, it rains, nothing happens so you alter the sensitivity switch which gives one wipe for some reason. I think it's stupid the way you have to reset them because they are not true auto wipers...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe i'm wrong guy's,but i thought the rain sensors were at the bottom of the windscreen! if you lift your wipers you will see 4 dark circular dots evenly spaced out and are are about the diametre of a pencil.That is why when you need a replacement screen,they ask you if your car has rain sensors....because they are built into the screen.KELL

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
You've got a V5 and haven't reach 3-4k revs. [:O]

Mate, go down the road, rev it up (safely of course) and enjoy the throaty roar of the V5. [:D]
Tunnel, windows down, drop a cog and take it to the rev limiter, slowly followed by a big grin!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hello [:D] I must say that it seems you've got the better metallic blue imo!

The wipers will wipe once after you turn the auto
on so that it clears the windscreen and sets a 'clear' base point. If
it doesn't work after this when your screen fills with water then I'd
guess the sensor is dead like you believe.

Rye, I
was under the impression that the switch on top the lever does nothing
for cars with rain sensing wipers? In cars with normal wipers, that
switch determines the frequency of the intermittent wipe.

I just
use that switch to re-activate my auto wipers after I've turned the
ignition off.It just saves moving the stalk up and down.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
the little switch on top determines how sensitive the sensors are to the rain mate , thats how i activate mine aswell one ickle flick

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
First thing you should do is try the car with a VAG-Com, but it sounds to me like you have a faulty Relay.

Open up the trim below the steering wheel so you can see the relay plate and you'll see a big grey one with 192 written on the top.

This is the only thing that can really go wrong with a rain sensor. Try swapping it with another one the same and see if it works.

Baz

·
Registered
148 Posts
It could be the clear sticky pad that holds the sensor to the winscreen, if it is msity white then the sensor will not work, as it is a an infrared beam picking up the light from outside if the beam is disturbed it the wipers come on, the circle part where the sensor is stuck to is clear glass with no tint.

Have a look at this http://www.rainsensors.com/default.htm.

You can't get a new clear sticky pad but VW will only sell the whole unit which is in the region of £150, try a few windsrceen places such as autoglass who are over here in the UK, the pad is very exspensive as well its about £20.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts