Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a busy few months with kids in hospital & multiple MoTs expiring but we're finally all home and just as we arrived our eldest lad was in the process of striking a deal swapping his '02 E46 330d with no MoT (needed exhaust sorting as it exits in front of the axle, and a pair of back tyres... go figure) for a clean but non-running/crank no start '00-X V6 4-motion with ticket to July.

First thing we noticed when it came off the truck, key on & don't hear the pump prime... it's 11pm at this point and we're all knackered so first job in the morning, pop the sender out and give the pump a swift knock on the head and she's purring. Good deal IMO.

Got the classic Climatronic "diagnose" flashing so fun there and no low speed cooling fans or AC activity, came with a fuse block but the original is sound so (coupled with the boil-over stains round the header tank) most likely the motors need fettling. Overall though quite pleased considering the swapper was bought for £500 last year with 11months test. Just dropping in a quick update while scrolling for climatronic issues, no doubt will end up with one or two head scratchers as it does show some "DIY repairs" on the electrical side and a couple of O2S1 heater codes despite new looking widebands. Will really try and get photos later too, black n silver side by side lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still hectic as all buggery round here, but have had a chance to test drive & dig deeper into the silver car now. First thing of note is throttle response feels "woolly" and disconnecting the MAF had no appreciable effect, some strange readings on the wideband sensor heaters too. Bank 2 shows generally between 60-120Ma (on a cheap Launch C-reader) while bank 1 is consistently showing 0.0Ma and occasionally negative readings... Sensor heaters and their wiring check OK on multimeter BUT I'm still showing the same current readings with all sensors unplugged under the car!

Next thing to note, fettled the fans and they work for now but still no AC, charged system as it was a little low but still nothing, doesn't attempt to engage compressor nor activate either fan.

Third thing, on digging into the wiring under the battery tray there was evidence of an electrical fire at some point, starter signal wire & reverse switch wires were the most affected & sections replaced. There are also numerous splices in various other wires inside the trunking headed up to the ECU (and some damage to the twisted pair from the MAF so hopefully tending to that helps.

Of more concern really, is the state of the hackery that's going on with the rest of the loom including a couple of melted wires in the orange bulkhead connector & a grey/white wire that was cut & overlaid from ECU to inside the car under the dash.

Anyhow, one thing led to another & the scuttle is out, dash out & I'm peeling back the onion of botched/subpar wiring repairs. At the point now where I need a diagram, does anyone have/know a source for a good set of diagrams for this (car is an '00 V6, highline, 6spd 4-motion). Would be very much appreciated.

Also will post some pics shortly of my main areas of concern... Orange connector with melted red/green and overlaid grey/white, Splice city in the main trunking behind the battery tray, and some questionable splices in behind the dash (bundle of earths crimped together, bundle of grey/blue IIRC & also bundle of grey/whites which were all twisted together! The first 2 may or may not be factory, doesn't look nice though & the latter very much not factory!)

OK so while I get photos, apart from a source of wiring diagrams, a starter for 10 for anyone experienced in VW electrics, browns are earths I figured that bit lol but what are the bundles of grey/whites and grey/blues?

thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, still there. I did copy/paste it on Vortex but messed up the links big time, this one works though (for me at least).

OK been a while since updating here, not had much playtime on the rats nest...

So it's been running better but not great & still no cooling fan action, so I've pulled the front of the car off to go through the vacuum hoses and electrical bits inaccessible with the nose on. First port of call was an obvious leak through the manifold flap diaphragm, sorted for now with a gob of silicone (don't suppose anyone sells the rubber seperately, guess it's a case of buying the whole actuator?)

Couple of other rotted bits of rubber replaced & deleted/capped off the SAI to gain a bit more space if nothing else & on to looking at the leaky AC compressor... Or it would've been if I didn't see more electrical gimpery, this time in the form of a replacement electric water pump with the wrong connector (so... After spending the time, money and effort to replace the pump & G12 we see the plug is wrong. What shall we do, adapt it to work? Ummm, nah just leave it unplugged it'll be fine.) If I rolled my eyes any harder I'd be looking at my frontal lobe. Hopefully this hasn't been too long like this & caused too much heat issues, how important is the electric pump on the 2.8?

So, pick a connector to fit off a Peugeot parts loom (Brake fluid level sensor to be exact) & splice that in and the pump works. I'm guessing from it's behaviour it's more to keep temps from spiking on shutdown but running without can't be good at all.

Anyhow, with that one sorted I've gone to the fans next as I'm back in electrics mode. Fan switch in the rad is duff & the main fan had no low speed, simple enough fixes just requires a new switch & a rework of the motor with an external resistor off a Pug 206 cooling package (did I mention I'm an automotive hoarder lol).

Back to the AC leak, removed the compressor and am waiting on either a replacement unit or a reseal kit (used replacement £20 or seal kit + shaft seal will work out about £35... Swap bad for "good", or "better the devil you know"? Internally the compressor looks decent, certainly nothing burnt up, then again the replacement has no evidence of UV dye escaping in the first place. Decisions decisions... That's about all to report on the thing for now.

Oh, apart from the MoT expires next month & it still needs at the very least front wishbone bushes, 4 tyres, a back box/repair the original and, umm, a pair of cats... Meow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts